• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM971 Rebuild and Camper Mod

Csm Davis

Wondered what was up there. Think I used 2 3/4 deck screws to hold everything to ceiling, held great no stripped screws and nothing thru roofView attachment 675566
Yeah there is three total layers of insulation, one layer of what looks like jute, duct taped to the perforated drop aluminium ceiling. The next is 1 and 1/2" foam board behind sheets of aluminium held up by rivets into the wood spacers which is held up by screws that go into the aluminium spacers/supports 1 and 1/2" square that hold everything in place separated by spray foam. It probably was a great design in the 70's but not for the long haul, if they would have used all aluminium it would have lasted for ever but the steel in the screws and rivets mixed with the water holding wood made a mess of things. A lot of the ceiling will go back up, new aluminium spacers in place of the wood and aluminium screws instead of steel, and will look into new rivets and glue to hold everything up. Should be even stronger than original and much more water and corrosion resistant.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Csm Davis

Well this is on hold untill after La rally but good news is it has been raining like crazy last few days and since I took down and opened up that section the inside is drying out! So it is as I have thought not leaking but condensation from our high humidity.

ROCKWELL-C60

Yep I noticed the same problem when heating it with propane heater this winter, I even went on the roof looking for leaks till I noticed they have 1 piece roof. My m146 has seams every 3' that makes them prone to leaks.

ROCKWELL-C60

20170419_120047.jpg20170419_120305.jpg Oh and I'll just throw this out there if you guys have bolt holes thru your trailers there's little aluminum disc for making jewelry I used with panel epoxy to cover holes.20170419_120721.jpg

Csm Davis

Yep I noticed the same problem when heating it with propane heater this winter, I even went on the roof looking for leaks till I noticed they have 1 piece roof. My m146 has seams every 3' that makes them prone to leaks.
Think they need a vent fan like my M129A4 has.

The picture is sideways top is the left side.

Last edited:

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to drill out hundreds of rivets to remove the folding floors in my 934. We used a center punch which drove the pin out of the rivets and made drilling them much easier...
Press on, you have a really cool project there.

RAYZER

Good luck on your camper project!
I bought a m373 trailer out of WR
A couple years ago intending to start another camper project, only to discover that someone put 120 steel screws through the top of the roof into the wood roof supports,all those screws although originally sealed, rusted and failed ruining the celing and floor rendering my camper project trailer to storage trailer status after sealing all the holes.
Horror!
I found that Keeping a good dehumidifier plugged in inside the trailer will solve condensation and mold issues,
keeping humidity levels around 60% is key, place a couple of hygrometers to keep track.
Also, avoid creating thermal conduits especially on roof areas, for example:
If you use aluminum roof supports that make metal to metal contact between the roof and suport, and then run screws into the support to secure a plywood celing, the screw heads will most likely sweat during outside temperature variations, and higher humidity levels inside the camper from use.
You could run some sticky ribon caulk between the roof and support to avoid thermal conduits.
Will this be a full blown camper complete with kitchen and bathroom?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

red

Good luck on your camper project!
I bought a m373 trailer out of WR
A couple years ago intending to start another camper project, only to discover that someone put 120 steel screws through the top of the roof into the wood roof supports,all those screws although originally sealed, rusted and failed ruining the celing and floor rendering my camper project trailer to storage trailer status after sealing all the holes.
Horror!
I found that Keeping a good dehumidifier plugged in inside the trailer will solve condensation and mold issues,
keeping humidity levels around 60% is key, place a couple of hygrometers to keep track.
Also, avoid creating thermal conduits especially on roof areas, for example:
If you use aluminum roof supports that make metal to metal contact between the roof and suport, and then run screws into the support to secure a plywood celing, the screw heads will most likely sweat during outside temperature variations, and higher humidity levels inside the camper from use.
You could run some sticky ribon caulk between the roof and support to avoid thermal conduits.
Will this be a full blown camper complete with kitchen and bathroom?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Humidity at 60%, what is this nonsense! A very humid day in Utah is 35% haha.

After growing up in Texas and spending a year in Florida, I give people a funny look or choke on my beer when people complain about the heat and humidity here hahaha.

Sleeping for how many people Csm Davis?

Csm Davis

Humidity at 60%, what is this nonsense! A very humid day in Utah is 35% haha.

After growing up in Texas and spending a year in Florida, I give people a funny look or choke on my beer when people complain about the heat and humidity here hahaha.

Sleeping for how many people Csm Davis?
Here humidity is generally 90% or more. I will have sleeping for 8 or more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks