• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Xtreme 4X4 Deuce bobbed(Spike TV)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why in the world are they adding two electric air compressors for the suspension :???:? Also wondering how they're going to run the 12v compressors and associated electronics on 24v?

The whole air bag system is way more complicated than it needs to be IMO.

Jakob

It's not Conservative 4x4, it's Xtreme 4x4! :twisted:

I would think the stock air system would be taxed to keep up with air bags. It takes FOREVER (10-15 min?) as it is to fill up a tire. At that rate, just to fill up air bags is still going to take a bit.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It doesn't take hardly any air for the bags. They have nowhere near the pressure or volume of a tire. At the most I would have added another tank.

I've done this many times on big rigs and basicly all you need is a set of bags, a ride height control valve, and a dump valve to lower the suspension.

kennys@wi.rr.com

I can only guess they are adding the compressors because that's what the sponser wanted. Here have my product free of charge to use on your show but use it all. Just a thought.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good point, Kenny. Guess I just go by the K.I.S.S. principle. That setup is more complicated than the whole rest of the truck. Did you see the instruction manual for it? Looked like an encyclopedia. :shock:

Josh

I like the idea of hauling the sami in the bed. When I go to the dunes, I normally haul a Baja Bug in the bed of my truck, and my Landcruiser on a trailer behind it. And as for all the the unnessassry mod they add, I agree with Jakob, If someone was willing to pay to build a truck, I'd put on any part that they wanted me too, reguardless if they were needed or not.

Bobbers are cool, Wouldnt mind owning one myself, but I just could not bring my self to cut a truck up, but it wouldn't stop me from buying one thats already done.

And when they ran over the car, they should have made it more awesome by hitting it like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYe6jy0ynJs

68t

Not to change the topic, but has anyone ever seen the freightliner semi truck. that is chopped like a street rod with a tank engine. i seen this truck in the great american race. i did have there web page some where.

gtsig

WOW that was a cool the way they lowered the truck bed. As for the extra air tank it was also to power air tools. Still looking to see more on what they will do to it, but Ian said they will fix the tail gate and paint it to take it out for a ride. Still our guy robr has a much better looking truck. The good thing was turn the air tanks upward to have them away for anything to damage them (also will help from salt on the roads up there). All and all it's a great build and I am sure with all us talking and seeing other trucks everyone has he will do more upgrades later on. Because for Ion it may be x-treme 4X4 but what I have seen in my little time here that is nothing and you can do a lot more to a truck like this.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The air tanks on a stock duece are already fairly well protected. The tanks on this truck are probably located differently due to the rear PTO.

I just wish the camaraman didn't have the drunk staggers, I was getting seasick weaving back and forth. In the last scene when they dropped the bed 12", the camara was moving so much you could barely see the change in bed height.

I do like the potential suspension options, tho. If you have a one-way check valve to the air bag tank from the deuce tanks, would you even need a 12volt compressor? Maybe the operating pressures are incompatable.

robr

The air tanks on a stock duece are already fairly well protected. The tanks on this truck are probably located differently due to the rear PTO.

I just wish the camaraman didn't have the drunk staggers, I was getting seasick weaving back and forth. In the last scene when they dropped the bed 12", the camara was moving so much you could barely see the change in bed height.

I do like the potential suspension options, tho. If you have a one-way check valve to the air bag tank from the deuce tanks, would you even need a 12volt compressor? Maybe the operating pressures are incompatable.
I agree there is no need for the second compressor a one way check valve and a regulator if needed
I do have a 24v Electric Air compressor as a back up on my truck but its not really needed

WyoDeuce

I watched the episode this morning. Haven't watched the show in a year or two. I was dissapointed as usual. No real explanation of how things were done. A quick time lapse of flipping hubs without letting anyone know how much of a pain in the ass it is. Ian then said that they only have $3500 in the truck as it sits! :cookoo: B.S. !! The truck came from Boyce which is one of the most expensive ways to get a deuce. The tire and rim combo from hundy are about $500 each. The airbag setup with compressors has to be at least a grand. I bet there is $500 worth of steel in the bed they built. I guess they aren't counting free parts and promotional deals. Oh well, it will end up in the crusher when they are done anyway. The lawers will never let it loose for real world wheeling. aua

Alex400

I watched the episode this morning. Haven't watched the show in a year or two. I was dissapointed as usual. No real explanation of how things were done. A quick time lapse of flipping hubs without letting anyone know how much of a pain in the ass it is. Ian then said that they only have $3500 in the truck as it sits! :cookoo: B.S. !! The truck came from Boyce which is one of the most expensive ways to get a deuce. The tire and rim combo from hundy are about $500 each. The airbag setup with compressors has to be at least a grand. I bet there is $500 worth of steel in the bed they built. I guess they aren't counting free parts and promotional deals. Oh well, it will end up in the crusher when they are done anyway. The lawers will never let it loose for real world wheeling. aua
well he has to do time lapse. i mean, how long does it take to flip the hubs? can you do it in the amount of time that he has to show flipping the hubs, let alone a half an hour? At least they time lapsed it instead of just skipping over it.

I fully understand your comment about cost. He is probably getting deals on stuff in return for the television publicity. I respect Ian, i think he is a great host that knows his stuff, but as with any tv, he might have to say some things that might be pushing the envelope on the truth.

On a different note, in regards to the air bags ian, how much travel can you get out of those bags? I would have expect taller/longer bags.

Keep it moving! :driver:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a different note, in regards to the air bags ian, how much travel can you get out of those bags? I would have expect taller/longer bags.
I think I remember him saying 8" travel when he was measuring for the shocks. Dosen't sound like alot of travel but I bet it still beats a set of deuce front springs.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, a lot of negative views. I really like Xtreme 4x4 because it gives me ideas. It isn't that I would do them all, but it shows me what you could do. I see Robr's bobbed deuce the same way. It isn't that I would do everything Rob is doing to his, but I see several good ideas, several that I never would have thought about doing.

What I do like about Ian is that he takes the trucks out and plays with them. I was actually more concerned about him bouncing out of the truck then the damage to the front bumper of his deuce, but after seeing everyone was safe, it was kind of cool to see what the truck would due in stock form. I am sure he will take it out on the trails when he is finished and use the truck. I remember the spider came back after a roll and they put a whole new top on it. I'm curious to see how the deuce will do when put to the test. If they are truly crusher bound instead of being able to sell it, then I hope he really pushes it hard and lets us see how it handles and holds up when pushed to it's limits. To me that is far more entertaining then seeing it parked in the back of a garage.

I realize I am a new member and thus have little sway in the groups opinion, just wanted to make sure that if Ian does read this thread that he knows that there are supporters that are enjoying the show. I actually hope there are more details on the DVD set of the three shows, which I plan on buying two sets. One for myself and one for my brother.