• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Xtreme 4X4 Deuce bobbed(Spike TV)

AceHigh

I appreciate the exposure we are getting. Probably a lot of folks out there never even knew what Bobbed Deuce is.

Bet the prices of bobbed deuces increases on ebay as the series goes on.

robr

I don't think anything they are doing is a bad job just some things are weird like air bags take little air so a extra tank would be all that is needed and if you wanted to add a electric compressor why use a 12v when most company's make the same thing in 24v

overall I like Ian's Truck

It is unfair to compare my truck to the one Ian is building
Ian is not going for the same thing I am
Also he has a budget, time constants, and free parts he must use from there sponsors

I don't have those restraints if I want something I buy it or if I need something custom I just make it because I can design it program it and produce it I am very lucky to have access to every kind of machine out there

dont get me wrong guys I do appreciate the praise you have given me but everyone has different tastes and use there trucks for different things

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think in anything they are doing is a bad job just some things are weird like air bags take little air so a extra tank would be all that is needed and if you wanted to add a electric compressor why use a 12v when most company's make the same thing in 24v

overall I like Ian Truck

It is unfair to compare my truck to the one Ian is building
Ian is not going for the same thing I am
Also he has a budget, time constants, and free parts he must use from there sponsors

I don't have those restraints if I want something I buy it or if I need something custom I just make it because I can design it program it and produce it I am very lucky to have access to every kind of machine out there
:ditto:

I met Ian right after the project started and saw the truck. I am excited about this project but I do disagree about the over complicated air ride. Nothing wrong with a little constructive criticism. He more than likely wouldn't agree with everything I've done to my truck.

I highly doubt the truck will get scrapped. Most of the trucks they have built are still at their building. I know they don't have a problem selling parts. When I picked up the firebed they had a bunch of other parts that were removed that were not needed. They all had prices on them so I'd assume they were for sale.

ida34

They had to use the compressors for the air ride because the air ride computer was inside the compressor pack. It was needed for the automatic adjustment. They automatically adjust to keep the same ride height with different loads. I would rather have the computer do it rather than having to adjust it by hand. My deuce is stock but if I was going to customize it I would love to have computer adjusted air bag suspension. I bet it rides really great with the bags.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They had to use the compressors for the air ride because the air ride computer was inside the compressor pack. It was needed for the automatic adjustment. They automatically adjust to keep the same ride height with different loads. I would rather have the computer do it rather than having to adjust it by hand. My deuce is stock but if I was going to customize it I would love to have computer adjusted air bag suspension. I bet it rides really great with the bags.
Most air ride systems ues a height control valve. It is a valve with a lever on it. There is a rod that goes from the lever on the valve down to the axle. This valve is adjustable and after it's set it will maintain the same ride height regardless of load because when the axle moves in activates the valve and it corrects to the preset height.

This valve and a dump valve (to bottom the bags out) is all that's needed to control an air bag system.

Ian did say that with the computer system you could change the ride height with the push of a button but I don't see why you would want to.

yetti96

I wonder if they are going to wire the 12v compressors in series to not mess with a separate 12v system. I don't really see why 2 were necessary becasue I use 1 Viair 380 in my truck for a small 3 gal tank for my roadside emergencies and of course horns.

On the note of the bags, I feel like what they are doing is an ok idea, but to only get 8" of travel seems a bit silly to do all of this work.

And what is a 3' tall tailgate going to look like on the back of the truck when there is no Zuk in it?

Ehh at least it is interesting to watch, could be worse things to watch like project runway or anything on Bravo, lol.

DanMartin

Personally I like the project so-far. It's interesting and unique.

I think the only thing I would have done differently was thrown a welding blanket over the air bags before welding those mounts on. That slag was hitting the bags and bouncing off when he was welding...not good for the bags. In fact, later on in the morning, Ian was giving safety tips and showed using a welding blanket to keep sparks and slag off of finished parts.

Anyways, E4x4 has always been one of my fav shows...and I think they are doing a great job. Can't wait to see the payoff episode.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if they are going to wire the 12v compressors in series to not mess with a separate 12v system.
Well there's been talk of a dmax engine swap. I bet if they do an engine swap they will change everything over to 12v.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the show and I like what they are doing to the truck. At least someone here got the bed and it was working when they parked it. ;-)

steve

Alex400

I wonder if they are going to wire the 12v compressors in series to not mess with a separate 12v system. I don't really see why 2 were necessary becasue I use 1 Viair 380 in my truck for a small 3 gal tank for my roadside emergencies and of course horns.

On the note of the bags, I feel like what they are doing is an ok idea, but to only get 8" of travel seems a bit silly to do all of this work.

And what is a 3' tall tailgate going to look like on the back of the truck when there is no Zuk in it?

Ehh at least it is interesting to watch, could be worse things to watch like project runway or anything on Bravo, lol.
I thought i heard him say something to the degree that they were 24 volt, I could be wrong.

Well there's been talk of a dmax engine swap. I bet if they do an engine swap they will change everything over to 12v.
If that was the case, i could see him wanting two compressors to take care of the brake duties since there probably wouldn't be an engine-driven air compressor on that d-max.

yetti96

I know Viair makes 24v compressors, I just don't remember what he said...Ian talks a lot (I know it's his job). The compressors look like a 480 but I am not sure if those come 24v. I am sure if they are not listen on the website, they would still make them for the show.

Ian from Xtreme

I have not filtered through all the posts in this thread...but I wanted to pop in and comment on a few things...

Like all projects some people like it, some don't but personally I LOVE this truck....it is just awesome.....and it was so much fun to build I see why you guys love these so much.

The truck is finished right now.....and tomorrow I am going to take it for it's first big drive down to the off road park.....

The reason for the compressors was to seperate the brake system from the suspension just for safety....

As for the wiring up 12 volt compressors to a 24 volt system...you will just have to wait and see how that is done...it actually is not that hard to seperate the batteries to run 12 volt accesories at all.....

Ian

davesgmc

Ian, you need to go the opposite way on a project, dont bob a deuce, strectch a 5 ton! i built a 4 door five ton and it still has the 12 foot bed on it with room to spare,,the truck is MASSIVE, see my avatar or other posts with the elmo build in it.

as always, watching every episode

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks