• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yanmar L70 Diesel Kit for MEP-016

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased a few of the Yanmar L70 Diesel engine refit kits for the gasoline powered version of the MEP-016 generators. The kits come with all the parts to convert the generators to run on the Yanmar L70 engine.

The engines have electric start and are set up for a 24v system. Does anyone know if it is possible to convert these to a 12v system? I would like to use them to power a small boat and I prefer to use 12v if possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attachments

Last edited:

Isaac-1

I have a MEP-016D and as I recall the entire 24V electrical system consists of the starter, which will generally have enough excess power to crank on a well charged 12V battery. There is no onboard alternator or magneto that charges the cranking battery, unlike the MEP-016B, etc.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of the small 2kw generators with a Yanmar engine. The starter was bad when I picked it up so I replaced it with a 12 volt starter.

There is no battery charging circuit and no on board battery. There is a slave connector for starter power. I took a pair of jumper cables and put a slave connector on one end so I can start the engine with whatever power source that is available.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks