• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Year from VIN for SF97 and other SF97 questions

sailor2000

I have 2 deuces I am trying to complete the dang SF97 form for. One is ID 041 00571-0539-13124 and the other is ID NK02S5-72 0539-15939. Following David Doyle's article on "Decoding your Deuce", I get 1971 for the first one (that was easy) but the other one switches to the NK numbers, which David says does not include the year.... but there is that -72 as part of the registration part on the ID number. Is that the year??

Also on the SF 97, they ask for Body Style... my other M35 is Texas titled as a 'pickup'.. is that the right answer on the SF97? They also ask for GVWR, can I use the off road rating?? as in Texas they calculate the annual egistration fee by GVWR. Also, what is the answer they are going to want under 'type of fuel'? Diesel?? Multifuel?? I can see multifuel confusing the heck out of the registration and inspection folks, but maybe I can get an aternative fueled vehicle tax credit???

Thanks

chuck500cc

List motor a diesel. You might try to register it as a "classic" vehicle if it is old enough. If you bought it from GL they should have given you the GVRW. I found by clicking on the item number it gives you all the original specs., wieght, motor, w/w, wo/w...bla...bla...bla...Keep it as simple as possible with the TXDOT.

Chuck XD Fan

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Here's what I found on the second one:
Organization: HHC, 36TH INFANTRY DIVISION
Nomenclature:TRUCK CARGO 2-1/2T Model:M35A2 W/W NSN:2320000771617
Serial Number:53915939 Registration Number:NK02S5 Year of Mfg:1972
Manufacturer:65909
Usage Miles: 14214

The other truck does not appear to have been bought by the Army. Could be USMC or USAF.

sailor2000

Re: RE: Year from VIN for SF97 and other SF97 questions

medlog said:
Here's what I found on the second one:
Organization: HHC, 36TH INFANTRY DIVISION
Serial Number:53915939 Registration Number:NK02S5 Year of Mfg:1972
Manufacturer:65909
Usage Miles: 14214

The other truck does not appear to have been bought by the Army. Could be USMC or USAF.
Where do you get this wonderful information?? Or shouldn't I ask????

Capt.Marion

RE: Re: RE: Year from VIN for SF97 and other SF97 questions

M35A2- GVWR of 21,000 lbs. For everything, just try and keep it simple. It runs on diesel, its a pickup, etc etc...

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

The ID # 041 00571-0539-13124 is actually ID 04L 00571-0539-13124. Unlike Medlog, I am confident this is an ex-Army truck. The 0539-13124 is the VIn, the 04L00571 is the registration number.

Regards,
David Doyle

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Year from VIN for SF97 and other SF97 questions

sailor2000 said:
Where do you get this wonderful information?? Or shouldn't I ask????
There may be some here that knows but it's been asked several times and to my knowedge he's never answered. It's his little secret I guess. That's ok as long as he keeps spewing out the info :D .

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor

Here's the info on the second one. Thanks David.

Organization: 28TH SIGNAL BN
Serial Number:52517108 Registration Number:4L00571 Year of Mfg:1971
Usage Miles: 22984 when issued to this unit in 1981. No loss record in the system.

CGarbee

I've found that bodystyle "cargo" works well with my DMV folks in NC...
The insurance folks don't care that much either, for them I say "cargo", then say "flatbed" (for the dropsides) as they sometimes want a bit more descriptive line than cargo...

"Diesel" fits well in the DMV computer...

Good luck.

Canadian Gunner

M35A2 in Florida

Good evening all- a question for David Doyle and "Carnac":

I've just acquired a M35A2 in Bradenton, Florida. The guy I bought it from, Pete, has several for sale and I can put members in touch with him if they are interested. Pete is really easy to deal with and was most helpful in assisting me choose a truck that would meet my needs. I actually live in Ottawa, Canada and am an active duty Canadian army officer. I run a small military museum as a hobby (The Swords And Ploughshares Museum) and the truck will migrate North this summer to join the ranks in the Swords and Ploughshares Museum.

The truck is one of a batch prepared for foreign military sales and subsequently sold domestically. Pete tells me it came out of a depot in Georgia and he may be able to find me a picture of it before the unit markings were painted out. It has a rough coat of desert tan paint and has been fitted with Michelin XL 1100R20 tires.

My question: the 'VIN' is 04K6373-0125-31455- can you help me decode this number and would you have any info on the truck's history. It is my intention to keep the truck in desert paint and I would be thrilled to learn if it was a Gulf War vet or served overseas in a hot and dusty clime!

Tag on question for David: were you ever able to get your article 'Decoding your Deuce' reprinted ? If not, please post what issue of MVM it was printed in as I would like to order a back issue.

Cheers! Mike

Canadian Gunner

Thanks

Porkysplace:

Thanks for the re-direction. I have submitted my request to Carnac as detailed in his instructions. I'm looking forward to his feedback.

Cheers! Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks