• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

year of manufacturing?

germanM35

Hi folks. Recently purchased a M35A2 Kaiser Jeep. After restoring it now I have to register it here in germany. It was based on bitburg air base and released 15 years ago with a "certificate to obtain title" to a local dealer who sold it immediately to the chap I got it from 3 month ago. It was dry stored for 15 years in a barn and is in an amazing condition with only 5,7 kilo mls on the clock. On that mentioned certificate the VIN and some irrelevant dates are written but not the year of manufacturing. But for registration here it is absolutely necessary to have it written on a document together with the VIN. DVLA here in germany can´t help and has no idea what to do...:-( Now my question: Is there any authority or registration or archive or whatever were the ever produced vehicles are registered? Anyone of you an idea what to do? Thanks a lot.....
Regards from germany
P.S.: Pictures of my deuce will follow shortly

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post a picture of your data plate above the map compartment(glove box).

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The frames usually have a mfg date on the drivers side above the front axle

the contract # on the data plate on the dash
i.e. DAAE-06-68-C-0007
the above example contract to build was awarded in 1968 (the "68" in the contract # is the year)
since that tag also has the vin, this may be your best approach.
note that in the above example the truck may not have been built / delivered until 1969 or later.

Last edited:

TexAndy

If all else fails, you know there are people who make reproduction data plates for these trucks in this country. They'll put whatever numbers you want on it.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers and good luck with your truck. The key is the VIN (serial number) and registration numbers. Do you know if the truck is U.S. Army or U.S. Air Force? Just because it came from an Air Force Base doesn't necessarily mean it is Air Force. Are any of the military markings visible on the truck? If they were painted over, some light sanding can sometimes make the markings visible again. I would recommend posting photos of the truck and the data plates.

germanM35

Hi everybody. Thanks for warm welcome and advices regarding my problem. Found a contract number on the data plate. According to this it must be a yom 1968-right? Anyway I´ll try to convince the chaps at the reg authority to have a look at the truck and believe....a hard job to do cause they usualy believe u nothing.
I attached some pics of my M35. It may appear strange to some of you cause all the numbers written on are just fantasy but I like it.
Thanks again.....
Cheers

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks to be a 1968.

Your data tag has the military serial number and the "Vin" on the same line.

The military serial number of your truck is 04M-08169. This number may also have been painted inside your doors or on your hood.

Your vin number is 0334-10193. This number should be on your frame also. To verify this, look in the drivers side wheel well, on the frame, about 3-5 inches behind the steering gear box.

This link will take you to a picture by Kenny, it has a white arrow and white line where you should find the vin number on the frame. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/269673-post4.html

Last edited:

67Beast

It looks to be a 1968.

Your data tag has the military serial number and the "Vin" on the same line.

The military serial number of your truck is 04M-08169. This number may also have been painted inside your doors or on your hood.

Your vin number is 0334-10193. This number should be on your frame also. To verify this, look in the drivers side wheel well, on the frame, about 3-5 inches behind the steering gear box.

This link will take you to a picture by Kenny, it has a white arrow and white line where you should find the vin number on the frame. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/269673-post4.html

Actually it is a 69' as indicated by the vehicles registration number of 04M 081(69). The contract date may be 68' but the truck was accepted by the military in 69'.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the clarification/correction 67Beast.

I guess in this case, the question to answer now is what year(68 or 69) should he use to register it in Germany.

Since the serial number is only used by the military, maybe it would be more simple to show the contract number(as the year of manufacture) to his authorities, even if it may be technically off by one year as shown by the serial number(proving that to authorities may be more difficult).

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess it's off to the search on this.

I thought that the last 2 digits of the registration number ceased to indicate the year after 1966......hmmm

the 0334 prefix of the vin indicates 1969 w/winch to me...................I could be wrong

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks