• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Year single pin NATO slave cable connectors were adopted?

Rebar

Trying to date the refurbishment of my M817 truck. I am assuming that the original slave cable receptacle was dual pin. It now has single pin NATO slave receptacle. Does anyone know the year that these single pin NATO receptacles were adopted?

Thanks,

Rebar

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you look at your transmission, t-case, bell housing, axles, engine, door area, data tags,or paint job,for rebuild tags or stenciling for a date?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't kiss and tell...:3dAngus:

Rebar

I have been all over the vehicle looking for tags, stenciling, etc. The only single thing that I found was a stencil in black lettering on the winch that said the "oil" got changed in 2011. There are plates in cab but the numbers seem to be jibberish with none looking like dates. There is the transfer tag in the cab for when it came from Camp Doha in Kuwait, but otherwise nothing. The only things stenciled in cab are TP-80 and TP-50R. Are there some primary sites on the drive train that these plates and dates are usually placed? It is an M817 made in 1972 but the tires look like they just came off the rack and the paint job looks like it is less than 10 years old.

Thanks,

Rebar

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, the CUCVs had them, so thats atleast to 1983/4
To add upon that, I've never seen a M939 series truck with a two port either. They're from that era as well.

IMHO, the deuce and 800 series 5 tons likely all started life with a two pin, but over time got swapped to a NATO when a unit had the parts to do so or a two pin port was damaged.

M813A1

The two pin Connector will work fine all you need is the 1pin to 2 pin adaptor !! they are like $ 35.00 on Egay !! I bought two adaptors !! That way I can jump ot be jumped from either Slave connector .. Either connector is correct, my 1971 M813A1 as the two pin some time in the 1980's i saw trucks wit the 1 pin connector !! As Patray sadi as the connector was damaged or durnig the trucks PDM cycle the connectors may have been replaced .

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you see no rebuild parts data tags on the major components, then I would suggest your truck was never "depot rebuilt".

Paint changed from semi-gloss OD, to CARC around 1985 and it was probably repainted around that time or after.

Tires, well they could have all been changed out at anytime as needed. What brand are they? Titans are the most recent manufactured bias tires.

Last edited:

Rebar

Thanks, doghead. I suspect the same. Maybe not a formal depot rebuild, but some refurb. For instance, all of the hoses, belts, wiring look new and it has a nearly new troop cover over the dump bed. Paint has tiny rust showing through in a few spots, but otherwise looks great for a 40 year old dump. Clearly not your usual GL M817. Tires are Goodyear G177 off road (look like snow tires) and have zero wear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks