• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Years

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a search box too. There are a few members with them. Search here and you will find much.

steelandcanvas

CUCV's were made from 1983-1987 (83 and 87 models are rare). They are all based on the 1984 model year. They did not receive newer parts year-to-year the civilian models did. All CUCV variants had TH400 3 speeds.

Not entirely true, Dodge also made CUCV's. Around 44,000 M880s were produced during the 1976 through 1977 model years, and served for the Army and Air Force until the late 1990s.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is on the internet so it must be true.....;-)

"The family of Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicles (CUCV, pronounced cuck-vee) began with the
Kaiser Jeep M-715 and expanded to a large fleet with the Dodge M880 series trucks, procured from Dodge during 1976 and 1977. The gasoline powered Dodge vehicles were soon discarded however, replaced by more robust diesel trucks from General Motors' Chevrolet Division. The M715 was not called a CUCV, and originally neither was the Dodge M880/M890 series. The name Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle (CUCV) originated with the Chevrolet M10xx series vehicles and was retroactivly applied as well to the similar Dodge trucks."

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking the same thing; I don't ever recall (other than wikipedia or olive drab) reading anything from the military calling a dodge a CUCV.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's also interesting that the Dodge manuals don't mention CUCV but the Chevrolets manuals do....

Yeah, when I hear CUCV I think Chevrolet K5 and K30 based trucks, not 715's or 880's. Technically, you could call just about any commercially produced vehicle the military uses a CUCV. I think I'm gonna buy a Chevy Astro van off GL and start a new CUCV thread...:wink:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be interested to see if anyone has a 1983. I know GL issued a bunch of 1983 SF97s over the years, I ended up with one. Everyone of these I've seen were from trucks produced from Sept to Dec 1983 but were 1984 model year trucks. If anyone has a CUCV with a "D" as the tenth character of the VIN, I would sure like to see it!

markg

I would be interested to see if anyone has a 1983. I know GL issued a bunch of 1983 SF97s over the years, I ended up with one. Everyone of these I've seen were from trucks produced from Sept to Dec 1983 but were 1984 model year trucks. If anyone has a CUCV with a "D" as the tenth character of the VIN, I would sure like to see it!
As would i, all cucv 's were vin code "E" built in 83, likewise only trucks were built in the 87 model yr from sept-86 to oct-86. no blazers were built in the 87 model yr. i had one built in aug-86 with a serial of over 200000. not many of those. i wish i had that one back, it had 6000 miles when i bought it. still had the 10.00 x15 rubber on it . smelled new inside. originally went from red river arsenal to a drug task force in texas close to me. they could not keep it running, the 24v electric was to confusing to them . they told me one battery should be enough to start the truck. thanks. mark

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Here's a picture of the dataplate on a CUCV blazer that sold earlier this year from Aberdeen Proving Ground. It is hard to read, but the date of manufacture is 01/83. The tenth digit is an "E".
53756487_gl_tiny_thumb.jpg

markg

Here's a picture of the dataplate on a CUCV blazer that sold earlier this year from Aberdeen Proving Ground. It is hard to read, but the date of manufacture is 01/83. The tenth digit is an "E".
View attachment 473539
Notice the type is different from the factory built trucks. maybe a prototype? whats the last 6? thanks. mark. does it say 000001? that is a rare bird, maybe worth keeping!!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks