• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yellow headlights

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello All,

Well, to make a long story short, I wanted yellow headlights for some of my equipment---- needless to say, the yellow bulbs are nearly non-existant. So, over the course of my research, I learned that one of the suppliers to my dad's company manufactures specialty coatings for glass sight windows for blast furnaces and other industrial apparatus. I sent them a few bulbs to be coated and (hopefully the pic shows up below) here is the result. They arent too forthcoming as to how its done but what I do know from talking to them is that its a heat-cured, synthetic coating. The smallest lot I can negotiate with the company is 50 bulbs at a time--- (im thinking of throwing a few cucv headlights in to be coated as well)............... So far, the first run of 50 24volt headlamps is going to have a price each in the $35-40 range once everything is done and paid (I am told that price can supposedly be worked on as more orders are placed with them)....... My question to you guys is how many are interested?

Ziggy

Attachments

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello again,

According to the company rep, this coating will work at temps up to 200 degrees F. If this coating is applied in conjunction with a metal oxide (gives it a shiny metalllic look), the temp. jumps to 900+ degrees. As for time, that I really dont know..... To put it in perspective, the sight glasses in the kiln ovens at my dad's plant get replaced every couple of years; but those run almost non-stop at high temps----- the only information I have from them about the coating life is that the coating is "subject to damage if exposed to severe abrasion, impact, direct flame, or organic solvents".... now I don't know about other people, but the only one of those I feel warrants worry in this application is impact (but then again if something like a rock gets kicked up and hits the bulb, its likely the bulb will be busted anyway)................ I am sort of tempted to see what actually happens when the bulb gets exposed to direct flame , solvents, and severe abrasion-- but the thought of wrecking several perfectly good bulbs has kept me from it. Keep the questions coming though..............

Ziggy

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They sure look good! Good luck, Ziggy.

tamangel

yellow lights legal

might want to check with your States Vehicle Code to see if you can use them for your primary headlights or not (if thats what you want them for..), secondary or fogs might be OK..

I think in California, only white goes for primary headlighting.. ( although haven't looked it up recently) They look cool for sure..

Mike

tklm539

Please put me on the list for a set, and let me know how and when you want payment. They look great. I have been looking for yellow bulbs for some time now. Great job figuring a way around the supply issue!!

Tom

saddamsnightmare

March 5th, 2008.

Dave McConnell up in Michigan has that very nice reproduction of the 8th Transportation GP M35A2 with the .50 mounted, someone ought to get his attention as he might want a set, and I'll think it over, as my truck is in it's Desert Storm paint, and I doubt they used any of theses. But they are very cool items (so to speak). Good luck and keep the Steel Soldiers posted.

Regards,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Swiss Mercedes Benz Unimog S404.114
1971 Kaiser jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce truck. :popcorn:

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello again,

Ok, to clarify a few things asked here and in PM's-----

- No, no one needs to send me their headlights-- the price above was figured out based on a caselot of new bulbs delivered to the company, coated, put back in their boxes, and then picked up by me and subsequently sent out to you guys.
- The first lot of bulbs I ordered are wagner brand standard 24v military headlamps with the rubber packard connectors. If someone wants a bulb with douglass connectors, I suppose you would have to send me a bulb then (or direct me to someone who offers headlamps with douglass connectors for sale)...... If there is a price difference between the douglass and packard ones, the final price would be adjusted accordingly.
- As for being legal to use, I checked with a friend of mine who is a county sheriff's deputy and his response was that if used on a truck in NJ that is registered as an antique, it would not be an issue-- I cannot say what would happen in other states.
- As for other colors, I would have to ask but I am inclined to say no for this reason-- when the company rep. came to my dad's plant, he had a demo board with small sample squares displaying their coatings. The second sample was the coating applied without a metal oxide and it had the right yellow color-- since they are in the business of making glasses for high temp. applications and their sample board had this, this with a metallic hue, and one with a silvery metallic hue, I would imagine these are the only "colors" available.
- And finally, the price listed at the beginning of the post does not include shipping.........

Keep the questions coming...... 8)

Ziggy

littlebob

I would love to say count me in but, sometimes I have an extra $100 to spend and sometimes don't. If you get a deal together with others and my funds are OK I would be in.
littlebob

saddamsnightmare

RE: Yellow Headlights

March 6th, 2008.

The 8th Transportation Group in Vietnam ran a lot of convoys, so their trucks were generally OD with a yellow top on the hod at the front from side to side- their gun trucks were painted black with the yellow snout (See"Eve of Destruction" at Fort Eustis,Va.), but apparently the unit colonel specified the yellow nose markings and yellow headlights so he could identify his trucks from a helicopter day or night. See Dave McConnell's deuce pictures from a couple of weeks ago, the paint job is striking, and all his truck needs is the yellow headlights to be 100% on (It's 99.5% there now). Also look up Vietnam War guntrucks in search.

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Swiss Army Unimog S404.114 Mercedes Benz
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce.

Matt1970M35A

Nice looking lights! I just put a set of H.I.D. light in mine using a h6024a adpter to an 4h blub.
But when I was looking for the adpter I found some yellow ones on ebay.
tem number: 120227950701
Just thout this might help.
But I still like you setup better. :D

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the bulbs on ebay are cheap junk made in china. but they would work fine and 24 volt h4 bulbs are easy to get for about $8 each.