• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yellow Headlights

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, I have a pair of yellow headlights in my M275A2. High beams and low beams work fine. These have douglas connectors on them. As cool as they are, they aren't that great for night driving and should be on something restored to that era. I would love to swap these for some H4s if anyone needs these things. I'll be pulling them out tomorrow and putting regular headlights back in.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, I was just looking for a pair of those about a month ago. To late to the game. Adirondack Dodge guy says he may be able to get them as well. Thanks for that tip Kenny.

westfolk

I was just looking at that pic.....How about the intake for the heater? Why backwards?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why are they yellow? Is it a special purpose light or an era thing? Can someone explain?

YankeeDuece

yellow heaslights

I heard the Navy started switching the air scoop. They found that the road debris would make it past the scoop screen and foul the motor, heater core, and the fan blades, not to mention the rain rotting the heater box from the inside out.

BillIdaho

In regards to the yellow headlight thing....we had a relatively smart individual, who has quite a collection of MV'S tell us that back in the 40's, 50's and very early 60's , yellow headlights were indicative of Ordnance such as: explosives, or similar (ammo?) type of payload.
We all nodded our heads, but what do we know(?), but as we talked about it, what a target indicator for the enemy!!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the scoop, My dad said they used to turn them around in germany because they would clog up with snow. And you would freeze untill the convoy stopped and you got a chance to clean it out.

CGarbee

European's used to use a lot of yellow headlights in order to reduce glare in urban settings and for fog. At one time, all the NATO equipment in Germany and France was running yellow lights (1950's-60's). I remember that a lot of the civilain French cars in the '70's ran yellow headlights as well...

Currently I believe that they are relying a lot on the "city light" that is the offcenter small bulb installed in the light housings along with the H4 burners (familliar to those of you who have looked into doing a Hella E-Code H4 conversion who have noticed two different part numbers, one with, one without, the "city light"). You get enough light for folks to see you comming, and to highlight stuff right in front of you, but not to light up the road-they work well if you have a lot of overhead lighting such as that found in an urban environment and the H4 when lit up (in either low or high beam) really lights up in a rural area with the low beams having such a sharp cutoff that the glare situation is reduced considerably compared to the older lens design...

Now, does anyone (maybee David Doyle?) have any of the official paperwork from DOD concerning yellow lights?

I spotted a M35 a few months ago near me that was for sale (truck had been caught in a forest fire and was bassically destroyed except for the headlights and a few body panels) that had yellow lights. First time for that I had seen them personally in CONUS).

Turning the scoop around for reduction of ingested water (frozen or not) makes a lot of sense to me... :) I'd hate to have to wait on a convoy stop to get heat :)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I was in Germany during 74-76 and put many miles on deuce as a mess hall/supply room driver. I was in a signal unit near Frankfurt and some our vehicles had the yellow lights. When you asked for replacement lights you never knew what kind would show up. They seemed to work good in the fog and since my duece was a non-turbo over riding the headlights at night on the autobahn was not a problem. I switched trucks a couple of times and I didn't see a lot of difference between the yellow and clear lights.