• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yermo, pickup non running HMMWV

Superhondaz50

Hi all, bought another HMMWV, it's a non running bucket. Was planning on doing a U-Haul trailer for pickup, my question is, do you know if the yard guys bring out the non running trucks with the big fork loader? If so has anyone had them use it to drop a HMMWV right onto the trailer? Trying to have all my ducks in a row for picking this up once the euc clears. Thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hi all, bought another HMMWV, it's a non running bucket. Was planning on doing a U-Haul trailer for pickup, my question is, do you know if the yard guys bring out the non running trucks with the big fork loader? If so has anyone had them use it to drop a HMMWV right onto the trailer? Trying to have all my ducks in a row for picking this up once the euc clears. Thanks
They will fork it and carry it out and put it where you want if it's a runner or non runner

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Does anyone know the pickup timeframe? I can't seem to find an available U-Haul truck and trailer anytime soon in my area.
7am to 2pm. They are sometimes there till 4 but don't count on it.

You have 30 days from the date the item release was issued.

Superhondaz50

7am to 2pm. They are sometimes there till 4 but don't count on it.

You have 30 days from the date the item release was issued.
Great, appreciate it. I was able to get a U-Haul trailer rental and my sister in law is letting me use her Ram 2500. Having them fork it on the trailer will be easy, I'm gonna try to use a snatch strap to pull it off when I get it home. Should work, hopefully.

KN6KXR

I was there about a month ago. Observed other folks getting stuff. Some notes:
-They will put air in the tires so it rolls (if they will hold air)
-If the machine moves under it's own power they WILL NOT place it on your trailer
-If the machine will not move under it's own power they will put it on your trailer BUT if you're an asshole they probably won't
-Nice bunch of guys

Superhondaz50

I was there about a month ago. Observed other folks getting stuff. Some notes:
-They will put air in the tires so it rolls (if they will hold air)
-If the machine moves under it's own power they WILL NOT place it on your trailer
-If the machine will not move under it's own power they will put it on your trailer BUT if you're an asshole they probably won't
-Nice bunch of guys
Cool deal, def not an a-hole. Tires are junk for sure, the rears have fist size holes in them, engine is missing most everything so it's def no gonna start. Have had good interactions before with them, but have only bought running stuff, and one car that wasn't running that they couldn't get on a tow dolly due to the low height.

Here's a pic of the truck. Mostly bought it for the body.

Attachments

Last edited:

Superhondaz50

Recovered. The forklift guy at Yermo was a pro, couldn't have gotten it on the trailer any more perfect. Was fun getting it off, didn't realize there were no tie rods, ended up using a tie down the keep the wheels sort of straight, took about an hour with a snatch strap to get it off. On another note the floor boards on this one are all shot up, looks like some soldiers had a fun day with a few M4's.

Attachments

spankybear

How did the u-haul handle the HMMWV? Do you have any idea the weight? I am working on getting the ECU thing now and have a truck in Barstow.

Superhondaz50

How did the u-haul handle the HMMWV? Do you have any idea the weight? I am working on getting the ECU thing now and have a truck in Barstow.
It was totally fine. I think it's rated for 7500lbs and the HMMWV is well below that at 5200ish-lbs. I rented it for a "Suburban" which is 5700lbs. U-Haul doesn't have an issue with the weight, it's the width. I used 6, 2" straps from Home Depot. 2 of them to extend the U-Haul tire loops then 2 front and 2 back crossed and hooked under. Was a fairly easy move with the exception my truck was a dead pile of crap and hard to get off the trailer.

spankybear

It was totally fine. I think it's rated for 7500lbs and the HMMWV is well below that at 5200ish-lbs. I rented it for a "Suburban" which is 5700lbs. U-Haul doesn't have an issue with the weight, it's the width. I used 6, 2" straps from Home Depot. 2 of them to extend the U-Haul tire loops then 2 front and 2 back crossed and hooked under. Was a fairly easy move with the exception my truck was a dead pile of crap and hard to get off the trailer.
Thanks! I was thinking they were around 5000 poundish... No batteries will take 200 pound off :) I am thinking my 1/2 ton Chevy will pull this combo as long as I take it easy. Can't wait!

Superhondaz50

Thanks! I was thinking they were around 5000 poundish... No batteries will take 200 pound off :) I am thinking my 1/2 ton Chevy will pull this combo as long as I take it easy. Can't wait!
Ya, a half ton shouldn't have an issue, it'll be close though. That U-Haul trailer is heavy. Prob be around 8k total if I had to guess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks