• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yes, Another Trans Stuck Thread

Coriolis2K

OK, I used the search function and did not find exactly what I was looking for...found some good info none the less. I am not sure if what I found pertains to my particular situation.
I left it sitting at a friends place for a few months while I was out of town, backed it into a parking space and there it sat for 3 months until today.
Started right up and dropped it into first to pull it out and it started to back up????? Worked it thru the gears and it does not seem to want to go into reverse or second, but will go into first, third, fourth and fifth, all with the same results as wanting to go backwards. If if put it in neutral and give it some gas...., it wants to go backwards.
I moved the transfer lever to neutral and it acts like it's in neutral, but in high or low it will always try to go into reverse.

I apologize if my search ability is not up to par, I did do a search and just don't think i came up with my particular issue.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Ken

bearboley

Don't know if this is relevant but I have had a few older trucks get between gears and do that. I mean they where in a gear and the shifter itself slid between the shift rails and would allow the trans to get in two gears at the same time. My solution was to remove gear shift lever and with a long heavy screwdriver and align all the shift rails into neutral replace shifter. Does your friend have kids this condition can be caused by shifting will not running.

Coriolis2K

funny you should ask, the truck is parked at his gravel pit business and the office was broken into a few weeks ago. I noticed the truck doors were open and glove box had been opened, seats cut, but thought that was the extent of it. I would guess they were monkeying around with the gear shift.
What is the fix??

Don't know if this is relevant but I have had a few older trucks get between gears and do that. I mean they where in a gear and the shifter itself slid between the shift rails and would allow the trans to get in two gears at the same time. My solution was to remove gear shift lever and with a long heavy screwdriver and align all the shift rails into neutral replace shifter. Does your friend have kids this condition can be caused by shifting will not running.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
sounds like the engine is running BACKWARDS, to have all the gears working in reverse, do not see how it can be other wise in a manual trans, a messed up shifting tower won't do that

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree, in my experience a miss-aligned shifter will enable you to put the tranny into 2 gears at the same time, essentially locking up the transmission. In your case, you shift it and are in reverse only.

And again, in my experience, a backwards running engine does not take throttle or produce power.

If your truck is not a sprague shifted front axle, I am at a loss as to recommending a solution.

Rick

chicklin

If if put it in neutral and give it some gas...., it wants to go backwards.
I moved the transfer lever to neutral and it acts like it's in neutral, but in high or low it will always try to go into reverse.
Not likely to be the engine running backwards if it's still trying to move backwards in neutral. I'd say it's stuck in reverse and the shift fork may be bent or broken or there is some other kind of internal damage.

Take the top off, take a couple pics and post them. I would be really interested to see what it looks like in there.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Can't be stuck in reverse, if the truck can be shifted into first, third, forth and fifth and be moved in these gears, things would be LOCKED up if in reverse because of the reverse idler, a multi can be started going the wrong direction, it has happened more the once, by rolling down hill to start or to help to start with the trans in R instard of 2nd. a hung sprag would not cause reverse gears.

chicklin

I agree that it can run in reverse, I'm not doubting that. But, he said that it had been sitting in the same spot for 3 months and fired right up when he went to start it. He didn't say anything about pull-starting it or rolling it down a hill.

And I agree that the tranny would lock up if it was stuck in reverse AND you were able to successfully shift into those other gears. What I'm getting at is that maybe it's stuck in reverse and the shift fork is bent/broken/damaged in some way that is prevent it from actually sliding the other gears around. He may be able to move it to those other positions, but it may not be actually shifting any gears around. Just a guess, but it would be consistent with the truck wanting to move even when it's in neutral.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I agree that it can run in reverse, I'm not doubting that. But, he said that it had been sitting in the same spot for 3 months and fired right up when he went to start it. He didn't say anything about pull-starting it or rolling it down a hill.

And I agree that the tranny would lock up if it was stuck in reverse AND you were able to successfully shift into those other gears. What I'm getting at is that maybe it's stuck in reverse and the shift fork is bent/broken/damaged in some way that is prevent it from actually sliding the other gears around. He may be able to move it to those other positions, but it may not be actually shifting any gears around. Just a guess, but it would be consistent with the truck wanting to move even when it's in neutral.
Ok, I see what your saying, yes would work as you say,

KsM715

Does it actually move backwards? The tires move and all, or are you feeling the truck lurch or move backwards and pushing in the clutch immediatly to prevent further damage?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it actually move backwards? The tires move and all, or are you feeling the truck lurch or move backwards and pushing in the clutch immediatly to prevent further damage?
I think it's explained here: "... I moved the transfer lever to neutral and it acts like it's in neutral, but in high or low it will always try to go into reverse."
That means to me that the tranny remains in REVERSE GEAR regardless of what position the shifter is in.
The shift mechanism could have some wear already, so if the shifter was forced and the tip of it has slipped out of the shift plate that would explain why he cannot put it in REVERSE POSITION nor SECOND POSITION.
The shift plate interlock mechanism may still be operative, preventing engagement of any other gear.

Easy fix... after removing the top cover.

G.

Coriolis2K

I am going to head back out there this morning and take the top off, I will take a couple of pictures and report back later today.

Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions!

Not likely to be the engine running backwards if it's still trying to move backwards in neutral. I'd say it's stuck in reverse and the shift fork may be bent or broken or there is some other kind of internal damage.

Take the top off, take a couple pics and post them. I would be really interested to see what it looks like in there.

Coriolis2K

So, I went back out to the truck today armed with all of the suggestions provided. I pulled the floor pan to get to the top of the gear box and took a couple of pictures before attemting to remove the trans cover. Before removing the trans cover I thought I would just start the truck and try one more time to see what would happen and work the gear shift to see what this steel shaft would do that was poking out the rear of the trans. The steel shaft did not move as I worked the gear, but you could see it "want" to move when I would try to put the trans in reverse. This made me remember a thread I found yesterday when looking for possible solutions. Something about the 1st/Rev shift rail sticking out too far, so with the trans in neutral I took a screw driver and with very little pressure, slid the shift rail in about 3/4", started the truck and now when I shift gears I see the shift rail move and I was able to get the truck in reverse, 1st, and all the other gears. I put it in 1st and now I can go forward again.
Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I attached a couple of pictures to show what I think is the shift rail ?.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd still pull the top cover. Just because it is working now, doesn't mean it's fixed.:beer: