• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yes, Another Trans Stuck Thread

treeguy

While the truck was sitting, is it possible that some kids or anyone else may have been messing around and bent the internals as mentioned above by forcing the shifter lever into any positions? If the truck was fine when you parked it then this would be my second thought because this stuff doesn't just happen all by itself without human meddeling. My first thought was that while the truck sat water or some wierd phenominom caused the crank to spin in reverse. The shifter shaft sticking out the back too far rules out the reverse spinning engine. I'd go with the munchkin terrorist theory.

Coriolis2K

The truck is sitting at a friends gravel pit business. A few weeks ago some kids broke into his business and stole some minor things, but before they did they had been in my truck as an open glove box, torn seat cover and doors left open left little room for doubt. My guess is that they were monkying around with the gear shift while in the truck.
It is not in a very good place that is conducive to working on it, so I am thinking of chancing it and driving it the 5 miles home before opening up the trans.

While the truck was sitting, is it possible that some kids or anyone else may have been messing around and bent the internals as mentioned above by forcing the shifter lever into any positions? If the truck was fine when you parked it then this would be my second thought because this stuff doesn't just happen all by itself without human meddeling. My first thought was that while the truck sat water or some wierd phenominom caused the crank to spin in reverse. The shifter shaft sticking out the back too far rules out the reverse spinning engine. I'd go with the munchkin terrorist theory.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
......... so I am thinking of chancing it and driving it the 5 miles home before opening up the trans.
Glad you fixed it, at least temporarily... But don't forget Murphy: what can happen, will.....

If in doubt you can always measure how much that rod sticks out when in REVERSE; should be around 3-1/4". (See diagram)

G.

Attachments

Coriolis2K

now that there is a fine piece of information!!!

I made it home fine and did not seem to notice any shifting issues.
Ran it thru all 5 forward gears and when I got home backed it into the driveway.

I will have to mesure later to verify.

Thanks!

Glad you fixed it, at least temporarily... But don't forget Murphy: what can happen, will.....

If in doubt you can always measure how much that rod sticks out when in REVERSE; should be around 3-1/4". (See diagram)

G.

deucer

G.
I had the exact problem with the rod staying out in the reverse position until it was physically pushed in. I do not see any reason in this thread as to why the rod would get stuck in the reverse (or any) position and how to keep it from happening again. It is very disheartening to be sitting in traffic and think you are going to go forward and you go in reverse......only. Thanks for any help.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not the shift-shaft or -rod in itself that gets stuck in Reverse. (otherwise you couldn't push it back in)
I said it in post #15... and again: it is the shift lever that wears off at the tip, plus eventually a worn & deformed shift plate and other parts, all combined, that can cause this.

Inspect/ replace those parts of the shift mechanism, or find a good take-out substitute for the whole top-cover assembly.

G.

quickfarms

It sounds like you have some wear in the shifter on the trans. They wear and get sloppy. I had a truck the started having shifter issues and I ended up replacing the shifter because the tip had worn and was not shifting fully. I also remember changing some other small parts.

Also if you park the truck in gear do not leave it in reverse, put it in first so that the rail is retracted

deucer

It's not the shift-shaft or -rod in itself that gets stuck in Reverse. (otherwise you couldn't push it back in)
I said it in post #15... and again: it is the shift lever that wears off at the tip, plus eventually a worn & deformed shift plate and other parts, all combined, that can cause this.

Inspect/ replace those parts of the shift mechanism, or find a good take-out substitute for the whole top-cover assembly.

G.
Anyone have a line on where I can find a decent shift lever tip and shift plate? I have had no luck finding them. It has been a problem twice in traffic so I need to get it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

deucer

Anyone have a line on where I can find a decent shift lever tip and shift plate? I have had no luck finding them. It has been a problem twice in traffic so I need to get it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
I am still looking for a shift lever tip and/or shift plate if anyone has one or both. Thanks