• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yes we all know 101's aren't designed to dump!

koolex11

But many of us do it. It is a happy coincidence that the folding drawbars lift the bed. One day the bracket may break and then we are screwed, but I have yet to hear it happen to anybody.

So there is no need to mention this every time somebody brings up dumping the trailer!2cents

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, if it breaks on the highway, loaded, and hits another automobile, it's no big deal? Just buy another one?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good idea!

GTO Tiger

Newbie here, but why do you say they are not designed to dump? The latch bolts, pivot points, hand brakes, etc look like they are there specifically for that reason!

Also, there is a video right on GL that was specifically made to show how to properly use the feature!

M101 dump procedure

dittle

Oh boy. There was a thread about the exact video you are describing GTO and in that thread it was pointed to another thread what happens when you do. Short answer (per the TM) is that the trailer was not designed to be used as a dump trailer.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Newbie here, but why do you say they are not designed to dump? The latch bolts, pivot points, hand brakes, etc look like they are there specifically for that reason!

Also, there is a video right on GL that was specifically made to show how to properly use the feature!

M101 dump procedure
They where designed to fold for shipping purposes only. Not to dump.

GL is looking at a major lawsuit when someone is killed by a broken trailer.

koolex11

GTO: When you tip it up, you do see stress because the angles change. Is it going to break on the highway because of the 1/4" flex? Probably not unless you drive with it in tilt position.

Rob, good suggestion:)

usafe7ret

2 thoughts:

1. "out of the mouth of babes..." (referencing the number of posts only, not age) Good, logical comment/question.

2. Some one needs to introduce that GL guy to a ratchet handle.

Although it would sure be a PITA to have to do all of that just to dump a load of whatever each time you used it. Maybe with some appropriate quick latch pins rated the same as the bolts and a better way to remove the wiring harness cover.

Nonotagain

Well, I'm going to weigh in and state, if the trailers were meant to dump, there would been a flexible hydraulic brake line at the pivot point and the pivot angles would be straight line not angled like they are.

You want to use it as a dump? Change the issues listed above, then we'll talk.

GTO Tiger

OK, and thanks for being kind in your replies.

When I saw this topic, I immediately looked through the TM and I did not see the dump feature mentioned (as doghead pointed out). That bothered me because I know I just saw this a couple of weeks ago. Then I thought maybe a youtube vid, but no. Then I just happened to click on a nice M101 shown in the GL ad at the top of every SS page and low and behold the video!

Makes sense, the folding feature for shipping. I did wonder why the trailer wiring wasn't made different to eliminate all that work! Now I know.

Thanks again guys!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Contrary to the OP, not everyone does it. However, I am finally playing around to get one to dump that is too ragged to take on the highway anyway, just to use around the farm. So far, I don't think the effort is worth it, since all the bolts are frozen and it has no brakes.

Actually, I don't have much of a problem emptying the trailer without the dump option, since it's fairly easy to shovel and/or push out the sand or dirt. It's the shovel-loading of the trailer that wears me out - now if someone can figure how to get one of these trailers to scoop up the dirt or sand, I would be eternally grateful.

hwcurtice

Contrary to the OP, not everyone does it. However, I am finally playing around to get one to dump that is too ragged to take on the highway anyway, just to use around the farm. So far, I don't think the effort is worth it, since all the bolts are frozen and it has no brakes.

Actually, I don't have much of a problem emptying the trailer without the dump option, since it's fairly easy to shovel and/or push out the sand or dirt. It's the shovel-loading of the trailer that wears me out - now if someone can figure how to get one of these trailers to scoop up the dirt or sand, I would be eternally grateful.

You get one of those MOG front loaders for that.... ;-)

Ressoldier

I plan to use my 101 as a camping trailer and wont need it to dump. I have seen this topic numerous times and the concerns of the cast piece breaking are valid. I have been working with a fabrication shop to build my bumpers and other stuff on my 4x4/ tow rig. I might have him take a look at making a new bracket out of 1/4 plate and maybe see if a heim or Johnny joint or bushing set up is feasable to add to the end of the drawbar. This should make a stronger bracket and the high angle ends would allow for the angle changes that occur when using other than designed as "dump" feature. Let me know if this is something people would be interested in as a kit to help retrofit their trailer. I am sure for liability purposes it would be sold as a replacement bracket and not "dump upgrade" and the use of which is still on the trailer owner.