• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet another alternator question...

a175

Is it safe/normal for a stock (ish) M1008 to be able to start and operate with only one alternator mounted? What issues (other than battery drainage) could arise from continuing to operate the vehicle in this manner?
Also, how the heck is this even possible?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to only have one installed make sure it is the driver side. The passenger side charges the rear battery only comes into play while starting.

I have run a truck without either alternator. Not recommended but can be done.

Is there a reason you only want to run one alternator?

a175

Not so much wanting to... just that's how it is.
The truck sat at my folks' house for awhile when I was away, and now that I have it back I'm slowly getting it back together. Runs and drives well enough. Needs a new steering gear box and hydro boost (per mechanic's diagnosis, and I consider him trustworthy). I know the passenger alternator died a few years back, and apparently it's M.I.A. I remember taking it off, don't remember how I got it set up to just crank and run with a single alternator.
GEN 1 light stays on. Voltage never gets past middle yellow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks