• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

yet another glow plug issue

Dmoser

Iv had a cold misfire for a while now and finally got around to finding which glow plug was bad. Cylinder no. 3 was open so I went to NAPA and got a 60g plug. The blade turned out to be a lot bigger than the one that I pulled out so I had to shave a little bit off the sides (probably not a good idea) to get it to fit into the terminal. I installed it, cycled the plugs and the miss was still there. I checked the resistance of the plug after shutting the engine off and it was at 16 ohms. The tm says it should be 3 to 4 (or something around there). Kinda confused by the problem. Any suggestions?

Dmoser

Hmmm. Seems weird that that would only happen for the first couple of minutes right after a cold start up. I knew the plug was bad already but I guess its not out of the question for it to be an injector. Really hope its not though

ranchhopper

I have one on the driver side that misses at start up and that is the only side that I get smoke from on a cold start so I figure its an injector I can hear it faintly when the engine is running too. I have several 6.2s sitting here to take one from I just need the ambition to get it changed out.

HeadWizard

Agree with Ranchhopper, had that happen on a couple of our older 6.5 mechanically injected p/u's. Bad injector. Sucks but will fix the problem.

Dmoser

Well then I guess the next step is to find the bad injector. Then wipe the egg off of my face and tell my shop foreman that he was right :p

Wolf.Dose

Normally bad injectors come up over 200.000 miles due to the low injection pressure of 125 bar or 12.5 MPa. The wrong register if the plug says it is the wrong plug. However, the engine normally starts properly, if only one plug works fine. the other issue is the pre glow card which usually failes at some 120,000 miles. Change of the card to a good one will help or replace to hand glowing of max 6 seconds or you will blow the original plugs!
Wolf

Dmoser

Engine has just shy of 79k on it. Pulled the card yesterday and it looks like it has a burn mark on it. Been had to wire in a push button for the plugs a while back because they weren't cycling.

acesneights1

You never know how long a CUCV was idled and idling kills the nozzles so mileage could be irrelevant. They squirts should be changed at 100k under normal usage as proper PM. Of course many run them much longer but a bad or dribbling squirt can ruin a piston.

Pballer71

My m1009 has a problem with starts some times it starts fine others i have to cycle it a few times so my dad and i got new glow pugs for it and its still doing it could it be the injectors

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks