• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet another interesting thing...or two!

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometime back I wired from the 003 into a box mounted onto the frame of my scroll saw, which wants 6a per leg. At the 003 load terminals L0=green, L1=white, L2=black, L3=red. Cord wiring from the genset is into a slow HACR 10-a breaker, out the breaker to the SqD start switch, back down to the saw motor via a female receptacle in the box and a male plug and pigtail to the motor. About the time I started wiring I learned that my multimeter had bought the farm, so no continuity checks. Believing that I had everything correct, I set the selector to 3-phase and fired up the 003. Hit start on the saw...silence.

On re-visiting the saw, I note that I when I wired to the breaker and switch the wires are, consistently from left to right red>black>white. Into the female receptacle rear they are W=white, X=black, and Y=red. The male plug wires match up with the receptacle wires. At the motor I connected L1 to 1 and 7, L2 to 2 and 8, and L3 to 3 and 9; 4,5, and 6 in the motor are bunched...standard low-voltage wye. I will re-verify the motor, plug, and receptacle wiring after I finish this epistle.

Had an electrician out today to wire a couple of ceiling fans. When we finished the fans I turned the selector switch to 3-ph and started the 003 and had him put his meter to work. Checking the legs on the onboard genset meter, each read ~210V. We measured at the load terminals and saw ~112V between L3-L0, ~51.5V L2-L0, and ~98V L1-L0. At the saw these same values were observed into and out of the breaker and into the switch. Nothing was coming out of the switch. This is good, in that I know to repair/replace the switch.

The voltages, however, were more than puzzling. Shut the genset down, changed the selector from 120V 208V 3 PH [9 o'clock position] to split phase [3 o'clock position] and re-started. In that position the legs at the split bolts, breaker and switch were something like 195V, 175V and 175V, while the onboard meter read L3-L1 240V, L3-L0 120V! The '91 generator underwent a tier-2 re-set in '07 and had about 11 hours on it when I won it. I have used the convenience outlets a bit for single-phase 120 on several occasions without issues.

Might the varying leg voltages suggest a VR issue? I have no clue as to the selector switch, other than perhaps incorrect attachment at re-set, but then, the onboard meter matches the switch settings. Anyone have any thoughts? Since I just learned the above about an hour ago, I thought I'd post first, then start going through the TMs.

Later,
bill

Keith_J

Have you tested the voltage going into the panel meter? Easy to do.

First, test all measurement devices. If panel meter is reading correctly, study the wiring diagram as it sounds as if there is a loose connection somewhere.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you don't have a neutral.

If you loose the neutral wire, you'll get decent readings from phase to phase, but the phase to ground/neutral will be all whacked out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks