• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet another M1009 owner in Houston

niferous

Well I went over to Government Surplus Auctions at Government Liquidation and started to look around and found this M1009 over in Alabama.
2320 - Trucks & Truck Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidation
I was able to pick it up in the low $1000 range so I think I did pretty good. I'm just curious as to how well the vehicle condition will be compared to how they advertised it. Right now it says it starts and I hope it's road worthy because I intend on driving it back to TX. It's not a crazy long drive but I know it's at least 700 miles. I'll have to bring the Ipod and jack so I'm not listening to the sound of wind for about 8 hours! The truck only has 19k miles on her and I would think with that little of use it would be able to make it. I was in the Army for four years and we had to PMCS our vehicles once a week so hopefully this truck had a good little private that liked to make sure his truck was up for a few miles should he need to drive that far! I never got behind the wheel on of any CUCVs while in but I did drive the M998 HMMWV enough to know the 6.2 is not the fastest in the world but is pretty reliable.

Until I get the truck I have a few questions about my buying process for govliquidation.

- The auction closed and I was the high bidder so I assume that means I won. Can I go ahead and fill out the EUC?

- Do I have to pay for the truck before my EUC is approved? I'm a veteran and have no criminal history so I suppose it would go through just fine. I just don't know how long it takes and I'd hate to pay for this M1009 and not even get to see it for a month or two!

- Does DRMO issue any kind of temporary plate? How are you guys transporting these things back to your home state?

- Would it be a good idea to not take my chances and just drive a truck over with a trailer and pick this thing up?

- Are you insuring these trucks as an 1985 or whatever Blazer or can I tell my insurance company M1009 and they will know what I'm talking about?

- What all will the DRMO make me show them before I can take possesion of the truck? I assume a valid driver's licnese but what else?

I look forward to learning a lot here and getting this truck up and running like a top! A loud green top gets strange looks from some and thumbs up from others! :grin: They are saying it runs and I don't see any rust so that's a really good start! Looking at the pictures I just hope that rear window rolls up!

jay741

i am waitingfor my euc to for a m1008. you have to wait till you are awared the winner to fill out the euc. then once you fill it out all you can do it wait. for me they sent it back once to revise then it was sent to battle creek. mine is coming up on 9 workin days at battle creek.

jay741

i dont think so im 17 so i used my moms credit card. but i read that you get a paid in full thing from gl once the euc paper work is done. good luck with your euc double check it so they dont have to send it back to you

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Niferous, It's good to have a nother SS in houston. Feel free to holler if you need anyhelp. just keep it around 50MPH and you will be fine. I've lost 2 6.2's due to over revving. Keep us informed on getting it home.

3dubs

I have two and neither run. The first had a bent frame the second they used starter fluid and I am pulling the engine now. If you need something let me know. I do not mind helping if I can. At least yours is not in the cold so they do not use starter fluid.

- The auction closed and I was the high bidder so I assume that means I won. Can I go ahead and fill out the EUC?

I fill out the EUC as soon as I win, print it sign it and email it. The hard part is getting the Driver License to scan good. Your first one will take about a month

- Do I have to pay for the truck before my EUC is approved? I'm a veteran and have no criminal history so I suppose it would go through just fine. I just don't know how long it takes and I'd hate to pay for this M1009 and not even get to see it for a month or two!

Yes, you pay now! HA HA HA:-D If the EUC is rejected and the sale is void. Read the fine print.

- Does DRMO issue any kind of temporary plate? How are you guys transporting these things back to your home state?

No, bring your paid in full invoice and insurance and DL.

- Would it be a good idea to not take my chances and just drive a truck over with a trailer and pick this thing up?

Trailer is best because things are not always as they appear:roll:

- Are you insuring these trucks as an 1985 or whatever Blazer or can I tell my insurance company M1009 and they will know what I'm talking about?

You have to have at least a bill of sale but if you have ins. ask if it will cover you before you get a title.

- What all will the DRMO make me show them before I can take possesion of the truck? I assume a valid driver's licnese but what else?

You need the paid in full invoice that as a release part for you to sign. You need ID to get need other stuff to get on base but as a vet you know about that.

niferous

Thanks for all the info thus far. I didn't realize that 50 mph was an issue for these trucks. In the Army my M998 was supposedly the fastest in the motor pool and I buried it past 55 mph all the time. Are CUCVs geared differently? I have seen diesels "addicted" to starting fluid before and you're totally right it's a horrible addiction :-x. I understand doing it once or twice when it's really needed and the glow plug controller is out or something but I always tell people not to use it often. I'm thinking at this point I may just try to drive it and have someone on call should I need a tow. My buddy has a 3/4 ton truck with a float trailer that we can haul it on but I don't want him to have to drive up there for nothing. More than likely I'll just start driving it and if I don't think it's going to make it I'll call him.

Pawnshop

I drive my M1009 at 60 EVERY DAY, it will go faster but I take it easy on her. The rear end in the M1008 is geared so high that 50 is the comfortable max speed, but the M1009 does NOT have that problem. I have heard that 75 is the max on a M1009 but I intend to drive mine for a LOOOOONG time and will take it easy on her.

As for insurance, I gave the VIN number to my Farmers agent and he came back with an insurance card for a 1985 K5 Blazer, that is (mostly) what the VIN will say the truck is. Costs me the same as a car to insure (I am over 40 and have an almost spotless driving record).

You can get a temporary license plate from the Harris County Tax Assessor/Collector's office for ANY vehicle you have insurance on, a title is not required, only insurance. It is $25 a month in Travis County, your local price may vary. That will cover you to drive it while you are awaiting the SF97. Regardless of how it will be registered (former MIL or Daily Driver) $25 is not too much to spend to avoid questions on the side of the road.

Texas law states that your existing auto liability insurance covers any new vehicle you purchase for 30 days after the sale (cleared EUC in this case) and that is specifically designed to cover you on the trip home from the purchase. I don't know about AL law, but insurance on your chase vehicle and a fresh sales receipt may be enough.

Of course a truck and trailer will negate all of that, AND cover you in the event the CUCV is not a driver. Something as simple as bad belts will ruin your day and if you CAN bring a trailer I would suggest you DO bring a trailer. Be SURE all of the tags and inspections on everything you drive/tow on the base in AL are up to date, they WILL check...

I LOVE my M1009 and you will too! In my opinion it is the ONLY MV that can be safely and comfortably used as a Daily Driver.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pawn shop. After rereading his post i see it's a M1009. I Thought it was a 1008. 4.56's will get you through most speed traps with your wallet intact.

3dubs

NDT gave some great advice "Here is the Texas law: Google "Registration and Title Bulletin #052-07" and print out "attachment 1". Clearly states vehicles bought at gov't auction with SF 97's are exempt from the penalty. I have a copy with me every trip to the tax office to settle any disputes right there at the counter . . . I've said it before, you gotta know the rules better than the girls or they will send you packin . . . without your title or military registration."

I had a problem that is in another thread and if I would have had printed out attachement 1 it would not have been a problem. There is a fee if you take over 20 days to pay your taxes. But that does not apply to government sales. Bring your invoice if you paid sales tax. You get your taxes here reduced by what you already paid. Which was really funny because they were trying to make me pay the fee when I did not owe tax at all because I had paid more tax at the sale than what I owed here.:roll:

3dubs

The M1009 can go faster but over 60MPH your fuel milage drops. You will get about 20 MPG if you do not go over 60. That is what I have been told, because neither of mine run:cry:

niferous

I am actively looking at bring a tow bar now just incase. Is there a thread here that shows how to make one or does someone just sell them?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you would like to familiarize yourself with the 1009 before your trip, you are welcome to swing by, I have 2 here at the house, both run and drive, one is registered for the road, I am 30 min south of downtown H.

niferous

Sure I'll swing by. I would like to actually take some measurements so I can just fab my own bar. Yeah I read up on disconnecting the drive shaft.