• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet another project: My new 1969 Kaiser (Jeep) M35A2 in MD

pitpawten

Thought I'd start up a thread on my new Deuce.

20160215_114257_Richtone(HDR).jpg

I bought this off of SS member Kaiserjeeps, who (in ID) was kind enough to help get it packed up on its way to me (in MD)...a long haul.

He had it listed briefly (1 month maybe) here in the classifieds, and it worked out that while he had it off the market for a while I came into the $ to get it and more importantly the $ to get it here. What drew me to this truck was the condition of the truck itself, his attention to detail when fixing it up (had documented everything) and the list of extras that came with it (the drag strip times didn't hurt for bragging rites : )

The truck is a 1969 Kaiser (Jeep) M35A2 W/W with whistler turbo with a cover and rides on 11.00x20 NDT's (the combination I wanted). It came with an M105 trailer with cover as well. The list of extras/spares it came with is too big to post, however the highlights are as follows:

8x 12.00x20 Michelin XML's (to single with 2 spares)
Running LDS-465 (5 Ton) motor with wastegate turbo
6x 11.00x20 NDT spares (2 on deuce rims)
Selectro locking front hubs
Spare Rockwell rear axle
Spare metal hood
Custom made bed crane with bumper mount for pulling heads etc
Spare cargo cover (shortened m36 cover)
One-Off custom made suspension seats
ISSPro EGT gauge with dual bank pyros
Spare head
Spare Airpack
Slave cable
etc etc etc

The trailer it was shipped on (this was fun getting it off):

20160208_194333.jpg

Starting the unload process:
20160209_192644.jpg

My brother backing it into his shop:
20160216_171735.jpg

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if I would call that a "project". Looks like all you need to do is add fuel and go. Great start for the MV hobbyist. Keep her inside and all you will have to do is your PMCS, fuel and go. You even have a willing "soldier B".
Nice truck/trailer combo, congratulation.

pitpawten

Maintenance to-do's

So at this point I've only driven it twice (if you dont count the first time driving it home at night in the snow fully loaded at ~22K lbs) and I'm loving it! It drives straight and smooth, brakes sufficiently and hums right along with the 11.00x20's and the fuel turned up (by PO). Temps are good all around at 50, which is plenty fast for me at this point.

The condition is pretty good overall and I'm pleased that the kinds of maintenance/repair items I have to do at this point are regular routine rather than drivability issues. Glad that the PO took such good care of it.

On my list is as follows:

1. Change fluids (crankcase, radiator, transmission, transfer, axles, brakes and winch)
  2. Filters all around (has spin-on oil).
  3. New front axle boots
  4. Swap out front tires (balding). Thinking of moving them to the inside rears before off the truck.
  5. Fix headlight (drivers has no highbeam)
  6. Replace glass and frames (may refurb frames) on both windshields and passenger door
  7. Add locknut to ebrake actuator arm on transfer.
  8. Investigate possible trans leak into bellhousing. Clutch inspection cover is off and gear oil present in housing (by smell). Potential overfilling of trans?
  9. Investigate oil-leak on engine, potentially originating under IP.
  10. Some paint touch-up and minor rust repair here and there.
  11. Investigate possible bad wheel cylinder or axle seal on rear-front passenger side. Leaking down inside dual tire.
  12. New fuel cap gasket (leaking down outside of tank)
  13. Possible worn syncro. Grinds downshifting 5th>4th every time sometimes from 3rd>4th.

There is a separate list of things I'd like to do to it, but since I'm already doing a frame-off on my pickup (97 F350 CCLB 4x4 7.3 5sp) I think those will have to wait :)

Last edited:

pitpawten

Thanks guys, my mind is already spinning on what's next :)

I think I'd like to find either a cheap dropside or m36 truck that needs work and use the rear half as a trailer, and keep the front half (steer axle, engine, trans, xfr, body etc) as spares.

If I went with the dropside id probably swap the beds and put mine on the trailer half.

KaiserM109

Great lookin' puddle jumper, M105 too!

One short piece of advice, unless you're being a purist, get rid of those NDTs. In the Reserves in 1974 we lost a truck in a canyon up in the Rockies near the Continental Divide and parked the rest of the convoy 'til the roads cleared. They are terrible on slick roads! I think that is why the govt got rid of them. Those Michelin radials look great, but don't try to run them with biased ply tires (the NDTs will be biased ply).

You might look into turning your back hubs around and running singles since you have wider tires. That will cut your weight capacity a bit, but you didn't buy that as a hauler, did you?

PS I have a deuce with NDTs and a 5 ton with 11.00 20 Michelins like yours. I plan to bob the 5 ton and probably the deuce. The extra tires from the 5 ton are going to the deuce.

Last edited:

pitpawten

Those Michelin radials look great, but don't try to run them with biased ply tires (the NDTs will be biased ply).
You mean like running them mixed with the NDTs in some combination? Yeah, definitely not planning on that so no worries here :) Actually I've not seen guys do a mixture of both before, is that a thing?

You might look into turning your back hubs around and running singles since you have wider tires. That will cut your weight capacity a bit, but you didn't buy that as a hauler, did you?

PS I have a deuce with NDTs and a 5 ton with 11.00 20 Michelins like yours. I plan to bob the 5 ton and probably the deuce. The extra tires from the 5 ton are going to the deuce.
The Michelins are actually 12R20's intended to be run as singles (as opposed to 11R20's to be run as duals), I'm just not sure I want to do that quite yet.

I've heard about NDT's notoriously poor performance on the slick, but honestly I drove them home in the snow fully loaded (at 22K lbs) and driving slowly/cautiously it was better than I had expected. We'll see, perhaps I'll have to slip a bit before I decide to pull the trigger and single out or go to radial duals.

Yes...I like the classic military look of the NDT's :D

pitpawten

how big is your garage door to get it in?
Just big enough. I'll have to measure but there is about 1' on one side (with mirror out) and 6" on the other (with mirror in).

We've got about 1' or so on the top.

It's at my brothers place and the shop used to me a local mechanic shop that came with the house. They are big bays and it opens up on the inside.

We could conceivably get two in with room to work if he would just buy one of his own some day :)

flynavy80

You even have a willing "soldier B".
:cookoo: :)

pitpawten can be MY wingman anytime.

I think the garage door open is approximately 117" high and 115" wide. I just know it fits... barely. It's a heart break to see a Deuce in my garage that's not my own. My son puts on a brave face but I catch him wiping tears of shame from his eyes when he thinks I'm not looking.

Last edited:

Wrecked1982

so its got to be a 10x10 door just like mine!! yeah so i could get one to fit, i know the feeling must be terrible looking at your friends truck when you want one yourself, at least the kid can play inside the cab like i used to do when people parked their truck at my dads place

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks