• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet More coolant issues! 84' M923

tbar123

Yes I did read the TM on how to adjust the tension on the water pump drive belt,I did notice that in the TM it said to use a brass whatever bar and that is something I don't have. I'm sure that a 2' long prybar is going to be good enough for turning that tensioner. But it is frozen or stuck. It won't move.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
tbar, did you READ the TM on belt tensioning for this engine? Using a pry bar, I have to imagine that you did not. There is a process, which is not intuitive to it. You MAY want to read up on it.
Most of the time a prybar is the only way to dislodge one. He did what is needed. TM's don't work on the pigs.

DeeMan6996

Headgaskets

Hi Tbar123

Have you found anything out about your truck? Maybe you should take it to a shop and have them do a combustion test like stated before. My local mechanic I know very well has one of these tests that we have used on multiple vehicles. Monte Carlo's (Stupid 3.4l...) and 6.0 Powerstrokes. All I can tell you is that It won't hurt if you run out of options. The monte carlo was experiencing the same problems that you are having with your MV.. I just had to do an inframe overhaul on my nhc-250 because of some scored piston heads and the piston liners on 1 and 6 stopped holding their o-rings... The motor only had 330 hours on it :x It wasn't too bad just need service manuals, tools, and some buddies! Trust me as a 17 year old I didn't think I had the money or time to do it but honestly it didn't cost me more than 4 grand. It sucks hearing the news that you need to tear into your motor..trust me I thought I might of had to sell it..

Best of wishes, Derek

searls84

could the radiator be plugged internally
This is what I would be looking at.

What was the condition of the original coolant? I had a deuce (once upon a time) that would run very hot and the heater never ever got warm. I pulled the heater core and found that it was filled with chunks of rust. This led me to check the radiator and guess what? It too was filled with rusty metal chunks. These "chunks" had almost filled the lower portion of the radiator, blocking the passage ways to the cooling fins. I took the heater core and radiator to be rodded and boiled and thoroughly flushed the block. Problem solved.... Could be a similar situation with yours. Worth a check at very least.

tbar123

This is what I would be looking at.

What was the condition of the original coolant? I had a deuce (once upon a time) that would run very hot and the heater never ever got warm. I pulled the heater core and found that it was filled with chunks of rust. This led me to check the radiator and guess what? It too was filled with rusty metal chunks. These "chunks" had almost filled the lower portion of the radiator, blocking the passage ways to the cooling fins. I took the heater core and radiator to be rodded and boiled and thoroughly flushed the block. Problem solved.... Could be a similar situation with yours. Worth a check at very least.
I think this is what I'm going to check next. I have flushed the cooling system earlier this year and did get a bunch of rusty water and sludge.I flushed until clean ,but it still could be plugged. This is what came out of the radiator after the coolant was gone.IMG_20150303_084634_207.jpgIMG_20150303_073720_787.jpgIMG_20150303_132951_148.jpg

tbar123

Does anyone know of the radiator gasket number or where to buy it? I'm wanting to pull the rad and completely go through it just to eliminate it as a possibility of my overheating problem.

jarhead1086

Does anyone know of the radiator gasket number or where to buy it? I'm wanting to pull the rad and completely go through it just to eliminate it as a possibility of my overheating problem.
I think you can just buy gasket material and cut your own. That is what they did when I had mine rebuilt. I wanted it boiled out and repainted and new hose bibs welded on so I just let them do it all. You might find some shop rags in yours like I did in mine. Check your oil cooler too. I didn't get a drip out when I removed the drain plug because there were so many doses of the brown stop leak in there. I had to poke through the gunk with a wire. The rust like searls84 talked about plus stop leak makes a good plug.

tbar123

Thanks for the info gents. But Bigboy is on permanent hold for the foreseeable future! My mother had to have emergency brain surgery this week and of course her insurance isn't excepted anywhere on this planet. So I'm going to have to put all of my attention into her well being. Sadly this also means that attending the spring rally at Haspin is also out.

dawico

Thanks for the info gents. But Bigboy is on permanent hold for the foreseeable future! My mother had to have emergency brain surgery this week and of course her insurance isn't excepted anywhere on this planet. So I'm going to have to put all of my attention into her well being. Sadly this also means that attending the spring rally at Haspin is also out.
Wish you the best. I know it sucks having personal and vehicle issues weigh down on you.

tbar123

I finally had enough of just looking at bigboy. SO I broke off about 2 hours to get into it. I took the coolant tank hoses off. 1) The long one that goes to the radiator had some build up in it, with chunks of what appeared to be chunks of rust. So I blew that line out with 140 psi and believe it will suffice for now.2) The short hose that goes to the engine is a complete different story,That line is completely impacted. I sprayed engine cleaner in it, bug and tar remover, and tried to blow it out with the same psi, but to no avail! So my question is would this smaller line be the root cause of my problem? I know I will still have to replace the water pump soon, but I hope that this hose will get me on the road for a short time, until I can do some more pick ups for fellow members! Hint,hint,wink,wink!!!

searls84

I wouldn't say the "root cause" but definitely an indicator of what the inside of your radiator is going to look like. Sounds like you're in the same situation I was in. Time to pull the radiator and get it cleaned and flush out the block.

tbar123

Well today has been a trying day at best, I had an MRI to check for the same problems Momma had and might have found something different. I then decided to come home and work on bigboy after seeing Mommason, just to get my mind off of things and this is what I found. One the radiator is definitely plugged, but on a good note the water pump is in great shape, SO I'm very happy about that. I'm going to power wash the rad tomorrow and try to get the rad and water pump back in by the end of next weekend.IMAG0022.jpgIMAG0023.jpgIMAG0024.jpgIMAG0025.jpgIMAG0026.jpgIMAG0027.jpgIMAG0028.jpgIMAG0029.jpg

tbar123

So I finally figured out the "main cause" The radiator was completely plugged. It took me almost 2 hours to power wash the thing clean. I still have 4-5 ports that won't clean out, but I'm happy with how the rad sits. Now on to putting everything back together!

Csm Davis

So I finally figured out the "main cause" The radiator was completely plugged. It took me almost 2 hours to power wash the thing clean. I still have 4-5 ports that won't clean out, but I'm happy with how the rad sits. Now on to putting everything back together!
You might want to take a bare brazing rod and ease through the blocked ones.