• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yikes what is this??

ABN173

Hey guys,

I just picked up my 1009 last week and I have driven it about 400 miles so far. Today it drove just fine but a couple moments ago I went to crank it and it acted as if the batt was low (nothing was left on) So I checked the battery terminals connections then tried to crank it again. This was followed by a bit of smoke (see pictures) Once I removed this item it cranked right up. Anyone know what it is/does? We are still looking at this so let me know ASAP

Thanks,
Dale

Attachments

ABN173

All lights and heater seem to still work, going to drive it around the block and see if everything still works.....how odd:roll:

It looks as though this was a connection that had been bypassed/no longer used, with a resister stuck into the end.

Thanks,
Dale

Last edited:

ABN173

correct it is a resister, but it looked jerry-rigged as it had a resister just stuck into the end and it was wrapped with duct tape.

Crash_AF

I'm pretty sure that is the diode that is in the 'Water in Fuel' light circuit. It's a little hard to tell, but are the wires on both sides purple with a white stripe?

Later,
Joe

chevyjames

im not sure what it is either but my m1008 has it as well right behind the intake it has duck tape wrapped around it i thought it was rigged or somethen

ABN173

both wires appear to be red in color. I still runs fine now that I removed the resister piece altogether, the wait light comes back on for a bit after it first goes off, and the are some strange noises from dash around steering column. Somehow this piece has something to do with ignition.

Dale

Attachments

IRWFO

It is shown in the TM wiring diagram under starting circuits. It is between the "water in fuel" solenoid and the starter relay. It's saying Anode & Cathode. If I remember right that should mean it's a diode. Basically a one way check valve for electricity. Do not slice the wires together. Radio Shack should have the part.

ABN173

It is shown in the TM wiring diagram under starting circuits. It is between the "water in fuel" solenoid and the starter relay. It's saying Anode & Cathode. If I remember right that should mean it's a diode. Basically a one way check valve for electricity. Do not slice the wires together. Radio Shack should have the part.
WILCO thanks a million,

Dale

Russ

Get at least a 3 amp diode at Radioshack. The stripe side should go to the cathode wire side (negative). Don't know what the circuit does, but that's how to hook up the diode. Hopefully you can see it on the original, couldn't tell in your picture. If you connect backwards, it probably just won't work, doubtful it could be worse than what happened to the first one.

Last edited:

Dark Horse

I have the same problem except my diode is missing all together. Just a quick question does anyone have a picture of what the radio shack diode looks like after installed?? is it the same look as the original or different? I'm just not exactly sure what to look for. thanks

ABN173

Some duct tape can conduct electricity! Always use electrical tape for stuff like this.
Agreed, this was done prior to my purchasing the vehicle though. In fact I sold this one in December of 2009 just before a cross-country PCS move. Some drunk kid had come down my street and wrecked into it for me:???:.....while parked too.

-Dale