• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yikes!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, sometimes S%$T happens... Glad nobody got hurt!!
I am not going to judge though, could have been previous accident damage, those spindles are built about as tough as any other ones I have seen in that class of vehicle.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like it was not heat treated correctly, the center is different than the outside...

MattNC

Looks like a defective part. The wheels are not sticking out much at all and even though the tires are larger I would guess the weight is much reduced from the steel wheel with OEM runflats

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the one hand, It is easy to make comments about tires and rims and how we should stick with stock offset, and on the other hand this is such an oddball failure that it almost looks as if the spindle was defective and anything we have to say might be unsubstantiated conjecture.

Maybe I’m wrong, but on further review of the images it doesn’t look to me as if these tires and rims in this combination are so out of the ordinary. Because of that, it’s my feeling that this original poster should just buy a new spindle and fix the unit and the rest of us might be best to hold back regarding comments on his choice of tires and rims.

Glad no one was injured by the truck or the rolling tire or a roll over.

The title to this thread is indeed perfect.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
This happened yesterday. The spindle nut is still locked in place, it hasn't moved at all. Low speeds, nobody hurt.
Question from the peanut gallery. What's under the hood ? and the back story...........

HumV, all parts a spinning, turning, pushing, pulling parts. Couple of links to think about... :unsure:

and this is a good one, lots of pictures....... https://www.axletech.com/at-admin/resources/Manuals/amt-0445d22018-09-07-reprint.pdf

The Moe U know... to GO, CAMO

Last edited:

Action

On the one hand, It is easy to make comments about tires and rims and how we should stick with stock offset, and on the other hand this is such an oddball failure that it almost looks as if the spindle was defective and anything we have to say might be unsubstantiated conjecture.

Maybe I’m wrong, but on further review of the images it doesn’t look to me as if these tires and rims in this combination are so out of the ordinary. Because of that, it’s my feeling that this original poster should just buy a new spindle and fix the unit and the rest of us might be best to hold back regarding comments on his choice of tires and rims.

Glad no one was injured by the truck or the rolling tire or a roll over.

The title to this thread is indeed perfect.
I brought up the tires and wheels, because I didn't think the Black Rhino Arsenal rims came in our stock offset, which would make them stick out. That may only put the slightest off angle pressure on the spindle. But then add all the weight that is in the bed of the truck, could add more stress.
I mentioned all of it, because there are a lot of guys with those rims. If this issue was in any way a result of the above conditions, others may benefit from the info.

DaneGer21

I’ve had failures on just about anything I’ve owned. Weather it be my work boots, my 2019 Chevy, or a dozer at work.

At this point in time all you can do is be thankful there was no loss of life. Fix it and keep on keep’n on.

IF it would happen again, then I would be suspect of either the part(or install), or the upgrades.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it seem unusual that it broke in concave or radius? I agree with stress from wrong offset but it shouldn’t hurt these beasts. I watched a full armor Humvee blow up and front end on fire and soldiers were unloading it and I was amazed at how much stuff was in it like tons of stuff and I don’t know how they got it all in it. I think something went wrong during the treatment of the part.
Scary no matter what happened

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I brought up the tires and wheels, because I didn't think the Black Rhino Arsenal rims came in our stock offset, which would make them stick out. That may only put the slightest off angle pressure on the spindle. But then add all the weight that is in the bed of the truck, could add more stress.
I mentioned all of it, because there are a lot of guys with those rims. If this issue was in any way a result of the above conditions, others may benefit from the info.
Sorry Action. I didn’t mean for it to look like I was calling you (or anyone else) out. I’m not, and I wasn’t, and I apologize if you felt that way.

My point is that this OP must feel bad enough already despite this looking like the failure of a defective unit.

Sorry Action if you or anyone else felt that I was calling you out.

Lothar

Hagerty covered the repair and the bodywork alone was estimated at over $4k. So I bought a decent ac/dc tig welder and kept the change. After annealing, the panel was fairly easy to unpeel. Some dolly work, welding and more hammering and it will work just fine for me. A little wavy still but a skim of putty and recoating, and it will barely be noticeable.20230211_125625.jpg
20230211_130512.jpg
20230211_144059.jpg
20230211_151652.jpg
20230211_155419.jpg
Coating will have to wait for summer.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks