• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yoke tool?

Both seals on the front differential leak on my m1009. Where do I get the tool shown in the intermediate TM used to remove the yoke/pinion nut? Ive searced the local auto parts stores, but had no luck.

OLDCHEV4X4

There is only 1 seal for the pinion/ yoke. My pinion/yoke holder is made by Kent Moore. I would think any of the big tool guys would have it too...Snap On, Mack, Matco. I did see a homemade one one time. A ring with 4 bolts welded to it and a handle welded to the ring. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

Westech

CPL
I have NEVER used that. Waste of time. Just use a impact and the nut pops right off. Just hit the yoke from the back side and she will pop right off. No need to get all fancy....

Now if you are asking about the tool I would take it someplace and get it changed. There is a crush sleave behind the seal and bearing that perloads the bearings. If you do not know what you are doing and just slam the seal and yoke and nut back on you prob are not going to get it set correct. If the nut is too loose its going to mess the grear mesh up.. to tight and burn up the bearings. You have to set it bacj up just right.

OLDCHEV4X4

Now if you are asking about the tool I would take it someplace and get it changed. There is a crush sleave behind the seal and bearing that perloads the bearings. If you do not know what you are doing and just slam the seal and yoke and nut back on you prob are not going to get it set correct. If the nut is too loose its going to mess the grear mesh up.. to tight and burn up the bearings. You have to set it bacj up just right.
I have done about a dozen this way:
Mark the nut with a scribe, prick punch, dremel tool, etc.
Mark the end of the pinion in line with the mark on the nut.
Remove nut, yoke, seal.
Clean nut and pinion thread with brake clean, carb cleaner, etc.
Install new seal and yoke.
Put thread locker on pinion thread.
Install nut and tighten to exact same spot using marks.
So far I have never had a recall. I know you shouldn't reuse the nut, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I always scotch brite the yoke sealing surface incase the lip isn't riding in the same spot. And put a little lube on there too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks