• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

You can tow anything with a M108....

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had to use the crane to move concrete pads, and tractor to level some stone, so I hooked them together and headed to town!

Let the tractor idle while being towed, so gearbox is lubed. Did about 35mph, didn't want to get going too fast. Got some looks, even stopped at the gas station to put 5 gallons in the tractor.

Used axle clamps to front axle, towbar, then crane to lift front of tractor up for the tow...

Attachments

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy Smoke!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe I don't see a safety chain in those pics!!!! Shame, shame, shame :rules:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just bustin your chops, but I gotta ask. Did you even know that puny little tractor was back there??????

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, it actually did. Tractor is around 8,000lbs. Didn't have any problems at 35, but any faster and it knew it was there.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well now I will be putting shackle mounts on whatever tractor I get "just in case"

Thanks Dennis, yet one more project!

Steel Soldiers do what it takes to get the job done thats for sure!

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just goes to show that stretch thinks outside the box. I kinda cringe at the lack of taillights. Hope you didn't tow it far.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look again, there are magnetic flashing lights on the backblade.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Applause for your BATTLEFIELD ENGINEERING and EXPEDITING THE EXTRACTION.

HOWEVER....
You weren't on a "battlefield". Traveling on public roadways in this modern day arena of lawyers and frivolous lawsuits the afore mentioned safety issues would have caused you to not only lose the battle, but also the war, your home, any tangible assets you happen to own and simply ruined your life as you know it today. Be thankful that your limited safety measures were adequate this time.

In the future, think.... and then OVER-THINK your risks and the safety measures you may have to defend in the event of a mishap.

To mangle a famous quote:
"To err is human. To take shortcuts, simply foolish."

Be safe and live to fight another day.

Carry on.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, I did have flashing lights on the tractor's blade. Plus SMV sign. And towbar rated way over the tractor's weight. Only thing I can think of is no brakes on the tractor while towing. But at 35mph, and a towing vehicle that vastly outweighs the towed load, this was a safe tow. I wouldn't go on the interstate with it....

Now, for my next trick, see if I can figure out a way to tow the condor lift! It's 12,000lbs, and I don't have a trailer big enough for it.

bchauvette

Other than no safety chain what is the difference than a tow truck taking your car to the repo lot? The rig up is the same. My dad was a contractor and we did this often. Especially doing under 35.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks