• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

You have my truck!

91W350

At least that is what the kid that came knocking on my door started out the conversation with.

He said he has been looking for a 1083 4x4 Chevrolet like mine and wanted to know where I found it. Mine is a 1987, but that is okay, they look the same...

Anyway, I told him it was an Ebay sale and that I felt lucky to find one that solid.

He wanted to know what I paid for it, if I did not mind telling him. I told him it was a rust free low mileage truck and I paid 4900 for it. Then he dropped the bomb... So how much do you want for it. I told him 6900 would buy it. :wink:

He protested, saying I just told him I paid 4900 for it. I repeated that I felt lucky to have it and that I never said it was for sale or that I wanted to get rid of it. By the droop of his shoulders, I could tell he was pretty disappointed.

I suppose there is a better one to be had out there for less money, but I know this one is good! I did a lot of wanting after my last M1008 was totalled, I am hoping to have this one for a while!

It is simple economics...

I did suggest some sources.... Glen

ClockworkSkin

Where are these people? I'd be happy to let my 1009 go for that much. I can pick up a new one with less miles, put new tires on it and buy a brand spanking new starter for way less and still have money left. Jeez Louise, please come to PA.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where are these people? I'd be happy to let my 1009 go for that much. I can pick up a new one with less miles, put new tires on it and buy a brand spanking new starter for way less and still have money left. Jeez Louise, please come to PA.
I was thinking the same thing. My M1028A3 is on it's third time on ebay and been on Craigslist off and on for months, with a 4K reserve and I can't get rid of it.

topgun217

I believe everything has a price, especially if the person has the cash in hand. My wife would give my truck away if they knocked on the door and said "hey, you have my truck"
That's why I always take the dog for a ride, she thinks its her's and would bite anyone who tried to take her ride away......ha ha ha

91W350

I offered him an excellent running M1009 for 2500, but he wanted the M1008. I do too... I like my M1009, I bought the second one for my son. He wants the M1008 too.... must be nice to be desired by so many. 8)

emr

Gee, i thought if we buy something for a 100 we should go thru all we do to get it and sell it for 100, when someone wants it, I am still laughing, A similer thing happend to me once, I did not want to sell a truck a guy wanted, so the price was for what would budge me to sell it, and thats that, funny post...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Bottom line is that your vehicle is worth what you personally feel it is worth to you.
If you quote someone a rediculous price and they are willing to pay said price then that is what it is worth to them.
My first deuce was a very nice winch truck that I got out of Ft. Jackson, SC........this was before deuces were flooding the market. It had hard top, heater and new cargo cover.
A guy came up to me at a show and asked what I'd take for it....I gave him a high price and he said "I can buy them all day long for half that".
I said " Tell me where.....I'll take a dozen."
He left with a sour look on his face.

91W350

"I said " Tell me where.....I'll take a dozen."
He left with a sour look on his face."

That is a great line!

My deal was that I never had a truck I just enjoyed driving as much as I do the M1008. Just lumbering around the state, a nice driving truck that does not break me on fuel. It is very capable off road and the only drawback is ground speed. I am in no hurry, 45-50 will get me where I need to go on the back roads with no trouble. I have pushed it harder than that, but normally, we are pretty content to cruise to the next site at 48 mph.

I have a pair of old 12 valve Cummins 5 speed Dodge 4x4s. Nice trucks, much better than the M1008 for pulling a load. I regularly turn around on gravel roads and have found that if I drop the nose of the Dodge off in the ditch, I am stuck. Get out, lock in the hubs, shift to 4x4, then unlock. The Dodges are not any better on fuel, but they will haul running down the highway. The old Chev does not bone jar nearly as bad as the Dodges do on a rough road. I think my 1991 Dodge one ton 4x4 is probably a better truck in every way than the M1008, but I prefer to drive the M1008.

I would have gladly sold it had I needed money, but that is not the case. I am getting close to retirement and can draw anytime now. Sometimes I think air conditioning would be nice in the summer, but a wet T shirt and a wing window is a pretty close second..... :-D

The M1008 skipped the flex plate when I went to start it at the grocery store once this week. Time to pull the starter and have it rebuilt before it chews up the flex plate. Other than glow plugs, this will be its first mechanical repair since I bought it. Glen

Attachments

Cucvnut

I have had people ask me to sell mine jsut tell them 5600 and no one says yes... but since its getting its lift this month its not going anywhere anytime soon.

TexAndy

Bottom line is that your vehicle is worth what you personally feel it is worth to you.
If you quote someone a rediculous price and they are willing to pay said price then that is what it is worth to them.

My first deuce was a very nice winch truck that I got out of Ft. Jackson, SC........this was before deuces were flooding the market. It had hard top, heater and new cargo cover.
A guy came up to me at a show and asked what I'd take for it....I gave him a high price and he said "I can buy them all day long for half that".
I said " Tell me where.....I'll take a dozen."
He left with a sour look on his face.

Yep. Nothing wrong with that, either.

My favorite deuce, the one I've put the most work into, is not for sale... unless someone wants to pay me stupid money for it.

Wrench Wench

The only proper response to someone knocking on your front door and greeting you with, "You have my truck." is, "No, I don't." and then closing the door.