• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Your pick of a CUCV? Reasons? Where to buy?

TechnicallyTactical

Now let me clear something up, I dont own a CUCV, But i would like to.
Im leaning for a M1031, good or bad?
What you guys like im curious what works for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcusOReallyus

Depends what you want to do with it.

Do you need to haul stuff? Camping vehicle? Contractor's work truck?

Just to have and show off?

What is best entirely depends on what you want to do with it.

For me, I need to haul stuff frequently. Firewood, trash, occasional dirt or manure or wood chips or building materials. So, I need a pickup. That means a 1008 or 1028.

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TechnicallyTactical - I was at the same point as you back in 2008. I didn't need a CUCV, but I wanted one. I wanted one because they are the last of the dumb diesels and anybody (including myself) can work on them. When that Magnetic Pulse bomb goes off, these trucks will be the best vehicles on the road. So I was patient and watched all the normal sites where they were being sold. I got lucky and found my M1028 in Arizona in 2010. It had sit on a National Guard base for 25 years with the windows rolled up. It had 12,338 original miles, which meant that they drove it approximately 500 miles per year, probably around base. I spent 2 years completely rebuilding and restoring the truck, which is documented in my rebuild thread.

So to respond to your original post, I wanted a M1028 because #1 I wanted a pick-up, and #2 I wanted the extra load capacity, and #3 I wanted the front positraction. I didn't plan to use it as my daily driver, although I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across country tomorrow. So if you plan to acquire a CUCV, regardless of model, you probably need to be able to work on it constantly to keep it reliable. Replace all rubber and grease all electrical connections. Do all the stuff like the Doghead Starter Relay fix. You have to make them reliable.

Hope this helps.

TechnicallyTactical

Best place to buy a CUCV?

So Im wondering what the best option for buying a CUCV, from gov liq or from a owner whos selling it, Possible other places?
Whats generally better option? I mean you have the gov liq, which can have loads of problems i know of, but buying it from someone who has been driving it has probably done all that work on it (bent drive shaft, electronic work, and replacing all rubber)...but is it worth it if their bumping up the price?

DeucesWild11

I think it depends on how handy you are and how far off the price is. Also how much a little piece of mind is vs. saving a few $$. For instance I purchased a MEP002 from GL for around $700 vs. a private sale anywhere between 2-3,000. That was a big enough savings for me to deal with potential problems.

I would think about potential problems and how much they cost and add that to the average GL selling price to come up with a real cost difference.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Out of your few post, one thing you haven't told us is what your skill set is. Are you mechanically inclined? Do you know how to read and understand the Tech Manuals (some people can't, not faulting you or them).

How deep are yor pockets?

For each of the trucks I have recovered I have spend around $1000 just to get them running and on the street.

You have not given us enough information about yourself for us to really make any meaningful recommendations.

Why don't you introduce yourself, tell us your age, life experences, skill set, etc. And what you want to do with your truck.

(a little hint, when people ask you questions, it is rude not to answer ;-))

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread goes along with you other threads. I will be combining the them.

Last edited:

TechnicallyTactical

Alight im gonna write this to basically give everyone an answer somewhere in here, and good idea about giving some back story on me, here we go.

My name is Joey, Im in Rochester NY and Im going on 19 in September, im in college for computer science, but i think im going to switch to electrical engineering. currently I own a 2001 Silverado 1500 Base RWD long bed, My friend is picking up a 1028 from Georgia in a week so im gonna get a good look at a CUCV petty soon, hes who got me into them.

The family owns a cottage down in Naples NY so im doing camping and mild off roading quite a bit, and ive gotten my truck stuck enough times, whether it be wheels spinning in mud, or my truck cant push through the un plowed snow, so a 4WD with locking diffs sounds right as well as my truck doesn't have a whole lot of clearance so sometimes im stuck not being able to go up the trail because my bumper just doesn't quite clear it., I love the style of the CUCV, color, simplicity, grill and general ruggedness. I carry a lot of crap in my truck all the time from bug out equipment, camping stuff, tools and still have a list of other things to put in there. Im the guy who feels naked with out his truck.

As it is I have to crawl in the back of my truck to access them (I also have a cap on the bed), looking at the 1031 with the compartments makes me drool from the organization and easy access as well as making it something that i can have versatility with modding the utility bed to my needs. Of course there's the PTO, generator and air compressor, which i can see myself using quite a bit, considering i dont even has a air compressor thats more than just for filling up tires. I dont need to haul a lot but i find myself needing to throw a fridge or small piece of furniture in my bed every now and again, which looks like the 1031 bed can handle. If i needed to haul a lot, or something too big then a trailer would be my choice, its not my job to haul so its not going to hinder me not having that ability. I find myself quite often in many random situations that a CUCV specifically a 1031, would give me quite a lot of use, . I worry about not being able to see behind me but i guess i would get use to it.

Now as far as my experience goes and my skill set, i know general car stuff, but nothing more than what each part does, so im not very knowledgeable for diagnosing a problem let alone fixing it. that being said i can learn, this site along with youtube is plenty to get me through it, so far nothing has confused me and the mechanic work on a truck like that to me just requires the tools i need and i little help from online, but tools might be a problem, I dont know what kind of tools i would need, specialty tools/equipment, ones only for vehicles are not at my disposal. Your general purpose tools, socket sets, and jack are about what i have.

Now What i am good at is electrical stuff, Ive made it a hobby since i was about 15 and have a list of things still working because of that. given wiring diagrams are available and again all the help from here and youtube, having quite a bit of electrical work tools available, and its a 1980s Military truck, i think ill be able to handle that stuff.

Lastly my pockets, they aren't that deep but im not planning on getting it too soon, i want to save up, and sell my truck before my tranny goes on me, hopefully 2-3K for the truck plus what i save up in, say 10 months, given i have about 500 saved up now. and if need be i can take out a small loan, ive been meaning to anyway to start building my credit and this gives me the opportunity to.

Last edited:

Durango_USMC

Just a note about the loan.... Odds are it will have to be a personal loan and depending on what your credit is like you may have to put down a good down payment or collateral and the interest rate may not be too great. Don't go into debt for a MV. Save as much as you can and find a very solid truck. Also remember the M1031 if I remember correctly have the 4.56 gearing and are not very highway friendly in stock form (my M1008 certainly is not!). But I just needed mine for a little fun and in town supply runs and working around the house.

Most generic tools work great, get a breaker bar, torque wrench, and the wheel nut socket. Remember most everything on it is Metric (or at least I've been using all metric sockets). Its a pretty simple platform to work off of so good luck. I've always had a thing for late 70's and 80's Chevy and GMC Diesels anyways... I like the box look and couldn't afford the M998.

TechnicallyTactical

yeah the loan might not be a great idea, ill look into it see if its anything worth, but odds are your right and i will just save up. And i do know that but i mean it will drive 50-55, which will get me there right? i mean the only CUCV that is highway ready is the 1009 right? and that is too small for me. cool, but too small.......correct me if im wrong, but a for the hardware you get on a CUCV, its cheap compared to a more modern truck of the same class and that truck would probably have seen better days getting it at the price of a CUCV, given of course you have to put time and money into getting your CUCV on the road. Now as for the highway, down the road im sure i will change it up to give me faster acceleration and low rpm at greater speeds. Still on edge about the whole thing. I like going fast haha, ill miss pushing my gas and feel my V8 rush me forward, and it would be a while before i can do a turbo or overdrive tranny. for now that's my biggest fear/ehh about it, the low acceleration and low speed max, since i am going to be using it as a daily driver otherwise it wouldn't bother me that much if it was just my play truck for when im off roading and camping or hauling something.

and as for tools, i have a breaker bar, i have a torque wrench, my sockets are kinda thrown together from my grandpas old workshop, and no wheel nut socket, but i would buy it, I mean if those are the tools i need, nothing like specialty tools that mechanics spend all there money on, then i should be fine, and able to work on it given i can find some type of walk through type article or video for the more in depth repairs.

MarcusOReallyus

yeah the loan might not be a great idea, ill look into it see if its anything worth, but odds are your right and i will just save up.

The loan is a really bad idea. You want to build up your credit, get a gas card and pay it off in full each month.

Our society has bought the lie that prosperity can be built on debt. It can't. We are seeing the fruits of that now, from personal ruin to Wall Street to government at all levels.

Don't get caught in the debt trap. Especially not for a 25 year old truck!

www.daveramsey.com

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The loan is a really bad idea. You want to build up your credit, get a gas card and pay it off in full each month.

Our society has bought the lie that prosperity can be built on debt. It can't. We are seeing the fruits of that now, from personal ruin to Wall Street to government at all levels.

Don't get caught in the debt trap. Especially not for a 25 year old truck!

www.daveramsey.com
Ditto!

Just paid off my house. I don't have a credit card anymore.

nyoffroad

Ditto!

Just paid off my house. I don't have a credit card anymore.
Totaly, completly debt free here!

To the OP you might want to ask around on here and see if anyone on here lives in Rochester, like me? I'm near Gates right by the airport, send me a PM if ya want to check out a CUCV up close.

TechnicallyTactical

Totaly, completly debt free here!

To the OP you might want to ask around on here and see if anyone on here lives in Rochester, like me? I'm near Gates right by the airport, send me a PM if ya want to check out a CUCV up close.
What kind of CUCV do you have? my friend is picking up a 1028 soon so ill get a look at one, but if someone has a 1031 then it would be great to check it out before i buy one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks