• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yukon Men Show and CUCV

cucvrus

How badly broken is it? Cast iron can be welded and holds well. I had a few engine blocks welded that were damaged in collisions. Brand new cars that had the block broken at back and they held up well. Of course the car/truck was junk but the engines I removed and transplanted worked well. I have a CUCV TH400-NP205 spacer adapter. It has an ear broken from falling off the rack back when it was in the GM shop for warranty repair. Let me know if you are interested.

Jericho

I usually use good 7808 rod and preheat the cast, ( some guys like to use flux, I don't bother) clean up your area, contamination is the biggest problem with any welding get it near cherry , just a little yellow , in color with a torch , this stress relieves the cracks and gets it malleable before you weld it , if you can v grind the cracks its helpful, lets you get more fill down into the crack. Lay the welds on thick and if needed make multiple passes, ensure good beads, I use the round circular pond method so your welds look like a little set of waves. apply heat with the torch as needed during cool down , gradually let it cool Cast will sometimes POP as it cools, Its funny stuff, either holds forever or cracks again relatively quickly

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stan, Sometimes these cracks happen when the front axle bottoms out. GM built the front driveshaft a little too long. When the axle bottoms out it binds the driveshaft against the transfer case and busts it or the tranny. It's worse on the contact maintenance trucks because of the weight. The passenger side bump stop gets bent, this allows the axle to travel up even more and cracks the adaptor and or the tranny. Longer bump stops are available to prevent this. But In a pinch you can attach some steel about 1/2 inch thick to the axle where it will contact the bump stop. this will restrict travel a little. But it's worked for me.

rustystud

The biggest problem with welding this cast-iron is it has been exposed to transmission fluid and gear oil. Since cast-iron is porous it absorbs that oil and when you get it hot (like welding) the oil comes out. I worked as a welder for a decade at a Marine Supply house. A lot of our products went up to Alaska for the fishermen. So I got real good at welding cast-iron on all those old winches and davits and such. Getting back to the welding, that oil will cause horrible "inclusions" in the weld.
In my opinion your better off getting a good used one.

X Ray Motors.jpgAfter 2 years of limping around trying to work my truck with a cracked transmission and cracked adapter all held together with a 2x6 I have finally got it fixed. Help from people on this site to get a new HD case and find an aftermarket adapter and locating a great transmission shop in Fairbanks all went to getting it done. Was going to attempt my first auto transmission job but then the new road to our village got opened and was smooth enough to limp in to the city with the truck. Glad to the truck back in working order.

Picture:About to leave out of the X Ray Motor's shop and drive the truck 220 miles back to Tanana on the new road just put in to the Yukon River 6 miles above our village. The rebuilt transmission and other work that was done ran smooth all the way even though the road was pretty rough going. This is the truck that was on TV with the cracked transmission case and also hauling a survival shack into the hills behind the village. Finally after two years got enough parts together, road conditions good enough for a broken truck to limp in on and found a great mechanic to work on it. Really felt good getting work done by this shop. Truck is a military CUCV 1986 Chevy 1 ton.

Jericho

Hooray for Stan Zuray! glad you got your truck back together! Remember next time your in the boston Area to stop up in the wilds of Jericho. Landaff, New Hampshire. Glad to be of help. Sad to say it will be a few years before I get back to AK, my son has retired after 21 years in the United States Air Force , he has taken a Border Patrol job in AZ, so instead of Wasilla it will be Arizona to see the grand kids for a few years . Take care Stan ,

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great news Stan! I'm glad you're on the road with a reliable CUCV!!! Keep it rolling!!! :) :jumpin::beer::driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks