• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Zero Energy Trailer - Solar/Diesel hybrid - Know anything?

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
first things first. does the Generator start and run. You said you purchased a 12v battery for that. Well it would be 2 batteries since its going to be 24v. Military and i clearly see the NATO plug

cogniz55

UPDATE.
First, thanks for the suggestions. Lacking the wiring diagram, I've been hand over hand through the entire system.
All roads lead to the Outback charge controller. It's looking for 10.3 v to activate. While I get 24v on the meter right at the big disconnect fitting, once I plug it in to the system, that voltage falls to 4 v. So it's the batteries. Without proper voltage to energize the Controller, nothing else (MATE3 brain in particular) is going to work.

Got the generator running. She's a beauty. I tried a bunch of old keys and a Chrysler key (ancient, I don't even know where the key came from) worked and she started up right away. Output voltage is strong.

On the batteries, waiting on Simpliphi Power's tech support to open up. I'm guessing that the BMS, internal to the batteries, shut down output for low voltage. Guessing. There are no outside breakers, switches, etc. So it might be I have to remove them to open the boxes up. They are a solid build, and deep in the trailer, so that's going to suck some.

Solar panels are producing power.
Shore power produced power.

Turns out the Inverter on/off line (both of them) run to the big red Emergency shut off switch. All showing continuity and the switch is functioning.

To summarize, even with 3 distinct power sources into the system, if the Charge Controller can't be energized by the batteries, then no love.

More to come.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why can't you just find the leads that go down to the batteries, and disconnect them up top... to hook to a charger to externally charge the batteries up first? Then reconnect the system and see if it goes. Good troubleshooting.

Chainbreaker

ZeroBaseEnergy.com is down. Their Twitter and FB have not been updated since 2018. I'm wondering if they were another flash in the pan grift?
Is there a way to search for manuals on military equipment?
Have you tried looking through Liberatedmanuals.com?

I checked their LinkedIn account. They had 4 "principal employees" listed. They had 1,549 followers on LinkedIn at one time. Company posts/announcements on LinkedIn appeared to cease about 2 yrs ago for what's is worth:

Overview
ZeroBase Energy is a leading innovator in renewable and hybrid power products in the form of portable systems and fixed installations. ZeroBase's portable power products range from 300 Watts (W) to 100 kilowatts (kW) in configurations including man-portable cases, mobile trailers, containerized microgrids that combine power management, energy storage, and high performing solar panels for expeditionary missions. Our fixed solar microgrid installations range from 9 kW up to 3 megawatts (mW) which also combine power management, energy storage, and high performing solar panels to provide consistent power back up and in some cases total off grid operational capabilities. ZeroBase works with all branches of the military, various emergency management services, humanitarian organizations, and private industry to provide consistent and reliable power in the most remote locations. Please visit www.ZeroBaseEnergy.com to learn more about ZeroBase Energy.
Website http://www.zerobaseenergy.com Phone+1 (888 530-9376 Industry Renewable Energy Semiconductor Manufacturing Company size 11-50 employees 4 on LinkedIn Includes members with current employer listed as ZeroBase Energy, LLC, including part-time roles.

Headquarters Fremont, CAFounded2009 Specialties Hybrid Power Systems, Renewable Energy Systems, Distributed Generation, Remote Area Power, Battery Energy Storage Systems, Solar Microgrid, Portable Power, Power Generation, Renewable Power, Power Generators, Off Grid Power, Power System Design, Microgrid Design, Power Innovation, Hybrid Generator, Hybrid Power, Deployable Power, and Emergency Power
Locations (1)
Primary
Headquarters

46609 Fremont Blvd, Fremont, CA 94538, US
Get directions Get directions to 46609 Fremont Blvd, Fremont, CA 94538, US

https://www.bing.com/maps?where=46609 Fremont Blvd, Fremont, CA 94538, US

Last edited:

kayak1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also would think you could charge the batteries from shore power regardless of anything else.
You will need to wake the inverter up enough to allow it to accept external power. I don't even think you will get the PV charge controller to add to the batteries until you have the inverter to where it turns on. This will depend on providing proper DC voltages to the inverter.

For now you might see about connecting a normal charger or even the 24v alternator into the batteries to see if they will return to life. A plan B for testing might be to connect the inverter to the generator batteries for testing.

Please keep in mind if you don't end up with the original batteries all of the changing paraminitors will have to be updated. Lithium batteries have a much different charging profile than lead acid.

cogniz55

Kayak1 wins the prize of the day...

Talked to battery tech support yesterday. Basically, the BMS (large lithiums all have built in BMS for the most part) will put itself to sleep after a period of time (he thought 1 year) of no charge or discharge.
This is not in any manual on the batteries, as I'm sure this is an edge case.

To wake the BMS, and allow flow, I need to put an external 24v 7-10a charger, specific for LiFePO4 batteries, on them for a short duration. This will then allow for signal voltage to once again leave the battery, activate the external charge controller (by Outback Power), and then the system will allow Shore, Solar or Diesel generator power options.

What threw me, was a ghost voltage from the batteries at the large quick disconnect cable. The meter showed 24.6v. But hooking it up to the bus it dropped to 4v. The charge controller needs at least 10.3 to operate.

So it was the sleeping batteries all along.
Charger should be here by Thursday. I'll post back once the machine is humming along.

Thanks again, men.

cogniz55

Jackpot.

The $50 24v 7a charger did the trick, with just 30 minutes on the charge. It probably would have worked with just a jolt...
Batteries showing 55% charge, after an unknown but probably LONG period of disuse.
Now I'll run through each energy source and learn how it interacts with the entire unit.

Many thanks to all of you! Have a great weekend.

Attachments

Poccur

You NSN has letters in it as well as numbers. My understanding is that is a format used when trying to enter a non-military item into the system. It is more like a local number that can be used to enter equipment in the Property Book. It is a work-around but it is not a full NSN so won't be in FEDLOG.
That said, their website was up in March so their old emails might still be monitored.
support@zerobaseenergy.com
info@zerobaseenergy.com

cogniz55

You NSN has letters in it as well as numbers. My understanding is that is a format used when trying to enter a non-military item into the system. It is more like a local number that can be used to enter equipment in the Property Book. It is a work-around but it is not a full NSN so won't be in FEDLOG.
That said, their website was up in March so their old emails might still be monitored.
support@zerobaseenergy.com
info@zerobaseenergy.com
Thanks for this!

cogniz55

The saga continues.
Everything is up and running, 5x5. Left the diesel generator as backup power overnight for a test, and the return fuel valve blew off and hosed the engine compartment with diesel, until the unit drained the tank. That's what I get for not checking all the connections. Other than a mess, no harm done.

I found the log on the System Controller. It showed the last energized date 7/16/2015. I suspect it was fired up to check it, then never run again.
Also got the pneumatic mast partially working. I think the seals are dry and it's got water in it..working on that now.

Finally, I calculated the retail cost of the components and this makes my purchase the deal of the century.
Thanks again to all that have weighed in.

Attachments

cogniz55

first things first. does the Generator start and run. You said you purchased a 12v battery for that. Well it would be 2 batteries since its going to be 24v. Military and i clearly see the NATO plug
I meant to reply specifically.
The diesel generator is an off the shelf Gillette 6500 for mobile applications. It's got it's own 12v battery and not wired into the 24v system except into the Inverters.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks