• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

zipper boot replacement

weirdman

The front axle boot on my m35a2 has a bad rip in it and has been leaking. I dont want to tear it all down to replace it, Does anybody have any instructions on how to fit a zipper boot?

Video would be greatly appreciated!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
post #6 in here and others

Third photo shows the plug to remove when greasing the axle.
If you have grease oil inside the boots then you have other problems
The nomenclature is dust boot not oil boot. Oil and grease eats boots.
" The front axle boot on my m35a2 has a bad rip in it and has been leaking "

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
The front axle boot on my m35a2 has a bad rip in it and has been leaking. I dont want to tear it all down to replace it, Does anybody have any instructions on how to fit a zipper boot?

Video would be greatly appreciated!
TM 9-2320-361-24-1 WP[work package] 0145 00 and 0143 00

Last edited:

davidb56

I don't mean to start a argument, but Ive seen a few posts on how grease and oil eats boots. Not True. Do research and keep in mind there are 50 million cars with CV axles filled with grease. Your grease gun hose is reinforced rubber, your transmission cooling lines, oil lines, and fuel lines all are rubber or a synthetic type product. The only difference I see between our boots, and my Subaru, Chevy truck, and Buick, is the length of the boot. the rockwell axle boot is possibly incorrectly designed, so buy a dozen and live with it.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't mean to start a argument, but Ive seen a few posts on how grease and oil eats boots. Not True. Do research and keep in mind there are 50 million cars with CV axles filled with grease. Your grease gun hose is reinforced rubber, your transmission cooling lines, oil lines, and fuel lines all are rubber or a synthetic type product. The only difference I see between our boots, and my Subaru, Chevy truck, and Buick, is the length of the boot. the rockwell axle boot is possibly incorrectly designed, so buy a dozen and live with it.
Problem with that is there is more than one type of what we call rubber. Some do better than others when exposed to petroleum product. I do not trust any thing from China for our boots. A simple Google will tell you that Petroleum products will cause some rubber to break down way too soon. I hit the like button and thought I hit reply.

Last edited:

davidb56

You are correct about the chinese rubber products. even on the CV axle boots on cars, if it was made in china, chances are the boot will rip about the same time the joint fails too. Mexico and Indonesia both seem to have decent products too.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I say, and no one hammered me on this yet................. well , it has been only a few moments now..................

The first Wheel dust cover was one made of leather
Like the first carburetor ........................

Design was never fail, or at least can use of it for a couple of whiles

Many seals made for WWll tank transmissions/engines were leather with the spring and metal parts,
hard to get now. I used to use wonderful seals.

Beware Gook stuff, .....have been reverse engineered and it Don't HOLD Up .
There is the problem [they have] of converting Inches to millimeters.

They are almost always OFF
They also have problems with Durometer, softness-hardness, resistance to tear, resistance to
Petrochemicals, Vaseline, esters in lubes and a myriad of problems with rubber and its' derivatives..

It is all planned obsolescence at its core.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets start with the retainers I like. I had tried the straight wire ones and they can cause the rubber to bunch up just as it comes together. I like the ones in the pic that have what I will call the slider or shield up by the screw / nut. Now the one with a control number and manufacture number is a 5 ton but at least it has something. I got these Gov surplus. Now for the Deuce after market zipper. The one with rivets has no number on the rubber or even any markings on the zipper. At least the zipper one that is stitched holding on the zipper has a number on the rubber and some markings on the zipper. We might be able to tell where that one was made but not the one with nothing on the rubber or zipper. The one with stitched zipper the rubber is dull and rivet one is shiny. Could it have been made with a different chemical mix. Who knows. As for cars /trucks with CV joints they go bad too you just have to watch out for them to start cracking. Just had to do my 09 GMC 3500 4x4 because the rubber on the axle joint had cracks and was starting to weep grease. Most rubber with find it's limits at one point or the other because of petroleum products or the out side by way of the elements. So yes I believe grease / oil filled knuckle can be the cause of boots going bad to soon. Also people packing the knuckle full of grease when they do not have Ball and socket type of front axles. That is why you need to know what axles you have in your front end. You do not need to pack the knuckle if you have the newer cross type u joint axles.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks