• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Zipper front steer axle seals?

Rene M

Any one have a pic? i have been looking for the pro/cons of a zipper seal but i have had little to no luck. Can any one help this noobe?:-D

My truck spent a lot of time in high water and i have lots of water in the grease/diff oil issues i am dealing with.

monkster

There are probably serveral threads on this. I have done both the 2 1/2, and the 5T. I had to have help with the outside ring. I have had no problems w/ the zipper boots just coat the zipper w/ sealcan well. Also invest in a TM, good reading. Make sure to clean the old grease and water out that is how the cv joint is lubed. Refill w/ 6 tubes or intill grease comes out. after all that makes you rethink runing through high water unless nessary. Good luck OH the boots are marked which goes to frt.

Rene M

I have read a few of the older posts on this topic. What i mainly want to know is:
How well does it seal?
will it keep out water?
whats the maint like on them?

My 5 ton was used in the Lake Charles as a high water rescue vehicle and has water damage in the hubs,bearings,diff etc. I would like to prevent future damage in this fashion.

monkster

I havn't had a problem with mine, but I'm not at those debths. I would think seal the zipper well and should be no problem. I aslo had considered taking the axle vents and going with a 1/4 npt street L with a hose barb and run that up into the frame, also a wise mil machanic told me that check the brake lines were the holders are taped into the axle tube, that leads into the dif.

Rene M

AAaahh thats a good suggestion.. And your right" i just pulled the bolts out" they are straight in to the diff and one was missing..
I drained out 14 gal's of muck.....oil,water, and just plain yuck...

Banshee365

You get a Katrina truck? Are you planning for it to spend more time in water? Wouldn't worry about using zippered boots. Most guy's will run a bead of RTV down the zipper after it's sealed. I went for the zipperless when I did my front axle since I had it all apart anyways. Glad you're getting all of that water out of the sumps, gotta get as much out as possible.

-Kelly

monkster

I got to thinking go ahead and put the non zippers on, got to complet rebuilb. the zippers save time if a rip is seen before fording.

Rene M

I got to thinking go ahead and put the non zippers on, got to complet rebuilb. the zippers save time if a rip is seen before fording.

I can say that a 5 ton front end can take a lot of water damage and with the changing of a few bearings ,races and seals..... The front end is back together again..:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks