• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab airbag upgrade

Xengineguy

Supporting Vendor
Working on my 1078 cab air ride. The bags still held air ok but cab jolted on up travel and down. Shifting through the lower gears shook the cab almost felt like metal to metal…. Front cab mounts are new.
I didn’t want to spend 1000.00 on an upgrade system . So I fabricated my version .
After testing will powder coat all bare metal this spring…. Absolutely love how it rides now. Went thru a few
frozen fields and dirt roads on the test drive! C562E072-F0BB-4823-9198-48A7F8F72D43.jpegC562E072-F0BB-4823-9198-48A7F8F72D43.jpeg

Attachments

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Working on my 1078 cab air ride. The bags still held air ok but cab jolted on up travel and down. Shifting through the lower gears shook the cab almost felt like metal to metal…. Front cab mounts are new.
I didn’t want to spend 1000.00 on an upgrade system . So I fabricated my version .
After testing will powder coat all bare metal this spring…. Absolutely love how it rides now. Went thru a few
frozen fields and dirt roads on the test drive! View attachment 887060View attachment 887060
If you don't mind I would like to know which components you used and what your build cost was.

RRaulston

uh...... Yes please!!! Let's talk about the yellow strap. Is the picture at full top stroke? Or ride height? If at ride height, wouldn't the strap be loose to allow for upward stroke? I'm visualizing the cab "topping out" as it bounces or am I seeing it wrong? Or maybe there is no upward stroke and just downward dampening? Brilliant!!

Last edited:

Xengineguy

Supporting Vendor
uh...... Yes please!!! Let's talk about the yellow strap. Is the picture at full top stroke? Or ride height? If at ride height, wouldn't the strap be loose to allow for upward stroke? I'm visualizing the cab "topping out" as it bounces or am I seeing it wrong? Or maybe there is no upward stroke and just downward dampening? Brilliant!!
The yellow strap is adjustable to soften the upper limit of travel. The shock is the hard limit. I didn’t want the abrupt stop
of topping out the shock. Shocks are cab shocks for a Peter built 83035, bags are sold by chassis tech #2200. Both available on
the big E. Bags and shocks total 210.00 plus tax. Maybe another 40 or 50.00 for the rest of the fasteners and materials..
Will give another update after I put some miles on it. So far it’s better than great!

Xengineguy

Supporting Vendor
How did you arrive at that shock? It has alot of travel(4.22”). Does the bag have an internal bump stop? The gabriels are a pretty cool design, with most of their cab shocks using a hydraulic cutoff to brake the rebound, and internal bump stops.
I didn’t research the shocks too much, I knew I wanted to start with a shock designed for cab applications. Heavy construction
(5/8 eyes on both ends) and in the stroke range plus a little. As far as the bags, the description doesn’t list it as internal bump.
However they free stand more than an inch taller than there minimum height, my weight on the bag wouldn’t compress them to
the minimum listed. Seems like a very thick material compared to the stock bags.
Only time will tell if I made the correct choices.. for now I like the set up..

Ronmar

I didn’t research the shocks too much, I knew I wanted to start with a shock designed for cab applications. Heavy construction
(5/8 eyes on both ends) and in the stroke range plus a little. As far as the bags, the description doesn’t list it as internal bump.
However they free stand more than an inch taller than there minimum height, my weight on the bag wouldn’t compress them to
the minimum listed. Seems like a very thick material compared to the stock bags.
Only time will tell if I made the correct choices.. for now I like the set up..
Well if you can extend the bags by hand(which I am guessing you probably can), but not compress them to their minimum height, then they probably have an internal bump stop. Very desirable for this application IMO…

Xengineguy

Supporting Vendor
Interesting, wonder why he could not compress it to minimum height? sounds like he was standing on it…
The bags are seem like they are very thick material. Not at all like the flexible original ones. More like a rubber bump
stop that you can fill with air?? I think the thickness and the small diameter are the contributing factors.

Update, after a week of driving all is well. My tires are inflated to 80 psi. The cab doesn’t top out or bottom out, no more clunk,clunk,
at all! Hit railroad tracks every day that once shook the cab bad, now the cab floats over. The cab is now separated from the chassis
like it should be…. Have made no adjustments just drove it! Will keep everyone up to date on how everything is wearing and
looking. So far very good!

Last edited:

Ronmar

The bags are seem like they are very thick material. Not at all like the flexible original ones. More like a rubber bump
stop that you can fill with air?? I think the thickness and the small diameter are the contributing factors.

Update, after a week of driving all is well. My tires are inflated to 80 psi. The cab doesn’t top out or bottom out, no more clunk,clunk,
at all! Hit railroad tracks every day that once shook the cab bad, now the cab floats over. The cab is now separated from the chassis
like it should be…. Have made no adjustments just drove it! Will keep everyone up to date on how everything is wearing and
looking. So far very good!
I would keep a close eye on the bags and straps. The 83035 shock you chose has at least 1“ more travel than the bag is supposed to have. I have seen 2 different specs for those bags, 3”- 6” and 2.88”- 6.25” Or between 3 and 3-3/8” of travel. That shock has a bump stop and cutoff valve on the extend end which occupies the last 1/2” of travel, but it does not have anything on the compression end…

I started designing mine last year, then had to put it away for a bit to complete other projects. This discussion coaxed me into dragging it back out, as I am also to the point where I need to do it now:) After I did some measurements on my one mostly sealed bag to try and calculate the piston surface and volume, I was looking at those chassis tech #2200 bags As they appear to be a good size to replace the originals. I had my selection of shocks down to 3 or 4 Possibilities. The Gabriel catalog is cool in that they publish most all the important information right in their catalog…

The 4 things I understand about airbags is you don't want to exceed design pressure. You need to position them so they cannot rub on ANYTHING, and your mechanical structure must hold them in alignment and restrain movement within their limits. You probably want to protect them from UV as much as possible also...

If the bag can be squished beyond its compressed measurement, the convolutions will rub on each other internally or the internal part of the end crimps can cut into the bags, and eventually they will fail. The only thing to stop this on this shock without a compression bump stop, will be its hard mechanical/metal on metal limit.

When you over-extend a bag it pulls the ends of the bag over against the edges of the crimped caps. This contact/rubbing damages the material and eventually the bag will fail there. The hydraulic cutoff and bump stop in the shock, along with the strap, will limit upward travel. If the bag is on its lower limit with shock fully compressed though, it will exceed bag travel before it even contacts the shock bump stop. How serious this difference is remains to be seen but they picked those compressed/extended numbers for a reason… Straps also don't like being extended and shock loaded for the same reason airbags dont, and if they are limiting the travel will abraid where they pass thru their buckles.

I hope these observations are not taken the wrong way, as that was surely not my intent. I most definitely appreciate any and every journey taken into the unknown, and those brave enough to share the experience:) This setup may and probably will run for a very long time without problems because the shock resistance is able to absorb the typical energy and will keep the bag within travel limits under normal conditions. Where you might run into issues is prolonged rough road, where the shock warms up and begins to fade, or as the shock gets old/worn. This will allow greater and greater travel, and shock, bag and strap may start to hit/exceed their limits.

I would be curious exactly how much it moves in normal operation. This could be done fairly easily with a bracket with a hole in it attached to the frame and a rod attached to the cab that passes thru the hole in the bracket. Onto the rod you slide two small pieces of hose, one above the bracket and one below, that have just a little resistance to being slid on the rod . Once inflated to normal ride height, you slide the hose bits up against the bracket top and bottom and go for a drive over your railroad tracks, and then stop and measure the gap between the two pieces of hose that have marked the high and low travel points…

The distance from the normal ride height to the upper and lower limits could also give you an idea how well the spring rate, and the compression/rebound numbers for the shock are dealing with the loads that are being applied… for instance if it goes up farther than it goes down, you could use a shock with less compression dampening, or add some air volume(small tank) to the air spring plumbing, to lower the spring rate to get the movement more into the center of allowable travel.

coachgeo

though not confident in the buckle of that strap (easy fix)... @Ronmar do you think that would alone suffice to limit up travel? hmmm... wonder if there is/could be made some solid attachment up above one could use to put a down travel limit strap???

Ronmar

Well there is no frame mount structure above this to attach to for a pull type down limit, you would have to add a tower of some sort. Using straps for something like that is not the best in my opinion anyway as I don’t think they age well and have a cyclic limit. it would be far easier to add some sort of perch up behind the engine or something around the airbag area to provide a down limit.

As I recall either the earlier design that all these appear to be based on, or middlewesterns first versions, used some sort of fixture up there to help keep the arch and latch in line when raising and lowering the cab. IMO, the use of a strap on those designs is as much to hold the arch inline as anything else. In fact the use of a strap at all in this style mount is probably pointless as a backup, As the combined shock ultimate yield is probably as great if not greater than the cab latch, latch pin or where the latch plate attaches to the back of the cab structure, especially the way the strap is folded around the thin plates.

Like the OEM config, I think the shock itself can provide the top and bottom travel limits. All the shocks that made my short list have top and bottom rubber bump stops and 3” of travel. I am going to do mine a little different as I have never been a fan of the shock out of line with the lift forces. I am going to put the shocks on the inboard side/under the arch.

I revisited my drawings and think I pretty much have a plan to begin. It should look something like this but I may move the bag in a little closer to the frame but I need to play with it at its extremes first.

4B9866EC-3012-4547-A0F4-9A8B9B3EE8E6.png

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks