• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good idea for a stereo

niferous

I have been pondering how I was going to mount a stereo in my M1009 until now.

Jensen MSR2007 AM/FM/iPod® Controller Sirius®, Satellite Ready 160 Watts Marine Stereo

This thing actually uses the remote as the face unit. So you can mount the guts with all the wires up under the dash and then just have the remote separate. This way I can place it in the glove box or in a center console (right now I'm thinking about a 30 mm ammo can with a cushion on top). This way it keeps the original look of the truck intact. Finally I would use dash speakers. I'd like to have four speakers but I don't know where I could put the others and not show off the fact that I have a radio installed! Was thinking about in the back in some ammo cans on the floor or something like that. Or else just making some boxes and mounting them parallel to the rear seat using the bolts that hold the top on as a mounting surface. Finally this all marine stuff so it can get wet.

What do you guys think?

3dubs

That is exactly what I was going to do. I want a marine radio because they are made for demanding conditions. I am trying to figure out where to put the speakers. I will make someting to mount the marine speakers and paint it with CARC.

stampy

I did mine like BP1009 and it took about 2 hrs to install. If you remove the dash you have holes for speaker mounts 4" speakers. There will be some sawzall work to make the radio fit if you are going for cd player size. I put the larger speakers in the back and have yet to mount them. I will eventually build small boxes but you could buy already enclosed speakers and just mount them. Go for it ! It wasn't very hard if you have any clue electrically:-D

REGULATOR

I was flipping through my LMC catalog and noticed they have a replacement headliner that has built in speakers and a place ot mount a stereo,

might be a good way to retrofit a system..

never seen one in persn so may be cheap and crappy but its a good thought

Id like to weld in a roll bar and install jeap style speakers on the bars

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was flipping through my LMC catalog and noticed they have a replacement headliner that has built in speakers and a place ot mount a stereo,

might be a good way to retrofit a system..

never seen one in persn so may be cheap and crappy but its a good thought

Id like to weld in a roll bar and install jeap style speakers on the bars

I wanted one back in the 80's for several trucks I had back then. They looked cool in the mags but did not pass muster when I saw them in person. All cheesy... I would put my eyes on one first before putting out my $$. The idea of a roll bar and mounting speakers on the bar sounds good. Hadnt thought of that!

bbbang

I am hanging my speakers on the roll cage I built for the back of the m1009. You can go to the salvage yard and find the jeep speaker boxes from the late model jeeps that attach to their roll bar and adapt them. Those units also have dome lights you can wire up. Chris

REGULATOR

yep thats what I'm talking about, the jeep speaker system...

I'm just installing an in dash system with two door speakers right now..

didn't really buy the truck with stereo in mind, if you know what I mean

the damn engine makes so much noise not sure what it would take to drown that out.

guess youd need to insulate the hood etc...

bp m1009

there was someone who recently put on of those lmc speaker headliners in his m1008 he said he liked it but it was kind of pricey..im sure if you searched you could find who it was and ask him what he thinks about it