• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

H1 Wheels 1 ton axles M1009

honda

I need some new wheels and tires for transplanting 1 ton axles into the M1009.

I've read every post multiple times on SS and other sites about H1 wheels on 1 ton axles under an M1009. Even printed them all out. Mucho paper. Lots of posts around this topic but none found on the install described below.

Here's the existing set-up:
10 bolt stock 3.08's. No lift. Same leaf springs, bilstein shocks, etc..

Here's the newly built axle set:
M1028 donor D60 and 14 boltFF.
D60 has new spicer joints/ bearing and seals/ 3.73 Yukons / ARB's, and slightly modified drive shaft. This will bolt right in.

14FF has a 2 inch shave, new bearing and seals/ 3.73 yukons / ARB's ( a little hogging to make fit ) Disc brakes with the caddy calipers. Double cardon drive shaft, relocated perches and shock mounts, same leaf springs.

I need some wheels that fit. Lift is out. Would like no fender trim, if possible. Has anyone installed H1's on a non-lifted, 1ton axle equipped M1009, not using spacers? How much backspace on the recenter job? The H1's are 16.5 rims 3400lb load rating. What size tire did you use? What would be the tallest tire without fender trimming and/or rubbing. If you did a fender trim how much fender trim, if any and where?

The alternative seems to be aftermarket beadlocks and/or 8x6.5 chevy rims, minimum 16 inch wheels.

As always, thanks much for all comments.

Chaski

What size tires do you want to run?
Are you totally against spacers?

You could run H1 wheels with 2 inch spacers, or re-enter with flat spacers pushed all the way in for about 5" back spacing. The less scrub radius you have the better with no lift.

You may also consider offset plates or zero rates to push the front axle forward to give you some more clearance on the inner fender well.

I need some new wheels and tires for transplanting 1 ton axles into the M1009.

I've read every post multiple times on SS and other sites about H1 wheels on 1 ton axles under an M1009. Even printed them all out. Mucho paper. Lots of posts around this topic but none found on the install described below.

Here's the existing set-up:
10 bolt stock 3.08's. No lift. Same leaf springs, bilstein shocks, etc..

Here's the newly built axle set:
M1028 donor D60 and 14 boltFF.
D60 has new spicer joints/ bearing and seals/ 3.73 Yukons / ARB's, and slightly modified drive shaft. This will bolt right in.

14FF has a 2 inch shave, new bearing and seals/ 3.73 yukons / ARB's ( a little hogging to make fit ) Disc brakes with the caddy calipers. Double cardon drive shaft, relocated perches and shock mounts, same leaf springs.

I need some wheels that fit. Lift is out. Would like no fender trim, if possible. Has anyone installed H1's on a non-lifted, 1ton axle equipped M1009, not using spacers? How much backspace on the recenter job? The H1's are 16.5 rims 3400lb load rating. What size tire did you use? What would be the tallest tire without fender trimming and/or rubbing. If you did a fender trim how much fender trim, if any and where?

The alternative seems to be aftermarket beadlocks and/or 8x6.5 chevy rims, minimum 16 inch wheels.

As always, thanks much for all comments.

86m1028

My suggestion is ditch the H1 wheels & buy something that fits.

Prob 3 & 1/2in to 4in of back spacing, not too many size choices in 16.5.

richingalveston

go ahead and change to a 16 or 17 inch rim and it will give you a lot more tire choices.

in most cases with no lift, 31 inch tires is as big as you can go as long as they are not to wide. that is for no rub.

I had 33 inch by 12 wide on stock rims (4 inch back space, 8 inch wide rim) and they only rubbed in the fender wells when it was flexed fairly well.

This was with 10 bolts. The 1-tons give you about a 1 inch lift due to bigger axle tube and taller perches.
You could probably fit 33 inch by 12 tires with stock backspace.

Eliteweapons

There are LOTS of rim choices for 1 ton chevys. Pretty cheap deals out there sometimes too. I run the Steel 16" Enkeis' on my 1 ton. They look like these but 8 lug. My truck originally had 16.5 but they sometimes have bead issues offroad so I changed to the 16".

GetImage.ashx.jpg

Last edited:

ssdvc

Eliteweapons, do you have a link/model# to that wheel? What backspacing options are available for it (what did you use?) and, lastly, what was the cost?

Thanks.

Barrman

H2 rims will work very well also. You can normally find them around $300 for a set of 5 on Craigslist. Most have worn out 315/70 tires which are 35 x12.50. But, since they are 17 inch rims. Tires are actually cheaper than 16 or 16.5 tires. Get the 17 inch metric version of a 33 x12.50 and move onto the next problem.

ssdvc

H2 rims will work very well also. You can normally find them around $300 for a set of 5 on Craigslist. Most have worn out 315/70 tires which are 35 x12.50. But, since they are 17 inch rims. Tires are actually cheaper than 16 or 16.5 tires. Get the 17 inch metric version of a 33 x12.50 and move onto the next problem.
Barman, will the H2 rims work on my M1009?

Barrman

They are 8 lug rims. They will not work on a stock M1009. However, I thought this thread was about somebody putting 1 ton axles under a M1009 and looking for rims?

Chaski

Those H2 wheels are about 5" back spacing, they would tuck under the fenders and keep your scrub radius small.

Honda.... any idea what size tires you want?

Barrman

Like exactly 5 inches. I read that and walked over to one to measure. My eyeball sure thinks 5" is it.

They fit my stock 3/4 ton Suburban perfectly. Which means with a 14 bolt rear axle, they will fit a M1009 perfectly as well.

honda

Those H2 wheels are about 5" back spacing, they would tuck under the fenders and keep your scrub radius small.

Honda.... any idea what size tires you want?
First choice for tire size would be 305/75/16 or 16.5 which should yield about a 34 inch tire.
Second choice would be 295/75/16 or 16.5, which should yield about a 33.5 inch tire.
If both of these tires yield too high a final vehicle height to fit in the garage I will head towards 295's.

I know, I know,,,,,heard it before,,,,maybe it's better to build a new garage. It's only money.

Truth be known, I'm trying to keep the unit height out of the clouds and keep at least reasonably close to some of the original undercarriage design specs. Over time lifted units can sometimes have a significant negative effect on engineering dynamics.

Thanks for the feedback.

Chaski

With that tire size I think the H2 wheels would be a good choice. You will most likely have to do some front fender trimming.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks