• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Gear Shifting correct

hammerdown

Hi People,im a new M35 owner here in the UK and found this guy on you tube gear shifting his deuce,,Tell me is this the correct way to use the gearbox???[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IS5wL0Y42s&feature=related[/media]

hemichallenger

This works good if your deuce is under powered or loaded heavy.
If you start off in high range and you shift in overdrive and it falls on it face
this helps a little. If it does not then run it in high range on the highway.

Burgerboy13

He is split shifting, using the transfer case to create 2 extra gears.He just showing off really. There is no need to split shift unless you have a really heavy load.

hammerdown

Ok cool,thanks guys this does make sense now...

How strong is fifth gear as a overdrive as my truck does pull hard uphill
in top and only drops 5-10mph on a reasonable incline,steeper hills i drop a cog????????

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't want to lug the engine down, but you also don't want to overspeed the engine in too low a gear. Let common sense guide you. Concerning the fellow in the video shifting gears, as mentioned previously, you can use low range to start off if heavily loaded or on a steep incline. I see nothing wrong with his shifting. However, during his shutdown procedure, you should always let the engine idle for a few minutes prior to shut-down if the engine has a turbo. In the video it sounded like a turbo, and he didn't let the turbo cool down.

dittle

He also put it back in gear and pushed the engine kill lever back in which are 2 no no's with the Deuce due to how easy the MF engine will push start.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
He just showing off really. There is no need to split shift unless you have a really heavy load.
I have been driving deuces since the early 70's....splitting gives you two extra gears loaded or empty...you will acceleate faster
by splitting and cause less wear and tear on the driveline.

Splitting is an aquired skill and should be practiced when empty and used all the time when loaded or while driving slowly in
a motor pool type envionment.

I was a drivers trainer/instructor/license examiner when I was in the Active Army....any soldier that could not split shift to my
standards did not get a license.

In most Motor Pools I was at it was required to put tactical vehicles in Low Range upon entering the gate and to have a Ground
Guide walking in front of the vehicle until it was parked.

Splitting gears is not (IMHO) showing off.

KsM715

I have read about split shifting the deuce but never seen it. It sounds intimidating when you read it but seeing it done I can tell you what Ill be practicing out in the pasture this weekend.

With reguards to his shut down: there was an edit in the video right before he shut it down. I would guess he let it idle but didnt want to waste 5 min of video just idling, I bet he let it idle to cool but just cut that out of the video.

bratpackdad

Somtimes I do it sometimes I don't. It depends on the road and load. However, having said that; I agree with WM I should do it all the time. His advice is always sound on here.[thumbzup]

hammerdown

Just another thought that someone may help to resolve
and that is,, How come when changing from low to highbox
the transfer case don't crunch??? Is it because 5 th gear is
an overdrive????:lol:

ATC

I split shift quite a bit around here. Lots of hills, and this county loves to put stop signs and lights in the middle of them :cookoo:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just another thought that someone may help to resolve
and that is,, How come when changing from low to highbox
the transfer case don't crunch??? Is it because 5 th gear is
an overdrive????:lol:
The transfer case is synchronized, like a normal manual transmission.

hammerdown

Thanks for that... I did wonder!! Thought it might of been a case of getting the timing right??
Happy days!!:beer:

Mister Sunday

Why is he using the clutch between every gear? I can understand why he did it when shifting the transfer case. I was driving mine around the neighborhood after I first got it and realized when I got home that I had transitioned to floating the gears unintentionally. Just a habit formed from driving class 8 trucks.It seems like it would be a whole lot easier on the clutch.

Last edited:

hof3414

Is it better/worse/indifferent when shifting from low 5th to high 4th when you shift the transfer case. Example: I tend to shift to neutral after low 5 then shift transfer case to high then shift to high 4. With each movement I press and release the clutch. Everything seems to align correctly but someone mentioned leaving it in 5 low while shifting transfer case, then shifting to 4 high. Any suggestions welcomed.

armytruck63

You can shift the transfer case from low to high and then shift from 5th to 4th with just one push of the clutch. Try it and you will get the hang of it.

Watch the video and you'll see this is what the driver does.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks