• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Gear Shifting correct

mcmullag

shifting gears

Are the 800 series 5 ton transfer cases/2nd transmission, able to handle this kinda shfing too, such as a XM818?

I think I am going to make a loop recording of the sound on this
vid as a relaxation tape. :D

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what is the thinking on the use of the clutch - and not using it. Many of us don't use the clutch for shifting, other then getting things started. Its all in the throttle! I tought my wife, to drive everything, with out using the clutch - including Class 8. If you use a clutch, its more complicated. Your left foot is for the brake. For instance, if you are going down hill & slowing, you can brake and use compression (and a Jake brake if availiable), both at once.

Lee in Alaska

Mister Sunday

I'm not saying I don't ever use the clutch. But with some of the low mileage clutch changes I've seen in a few posts, it would behoove some to learn to float the gears. Common sense would tell you that if you can't shift without grinding them, then by all means clutch it. My gearbox doesn't grind when I match speeds.

Last edited:

Hammer

Drive a Road Ranger, you would have to either double clutch every shift, or just not use the clutch for all shifting (after you get it rolling).
On my 818 with 16.00's on it, I almost always run both ranges. Takes a lot of stress off the motor/tranny. And helps get that thing moving with the bigger tires.
I do it pretty often in the deuces as well.
And like WM said, pretty much anytime I pull off the road and into any place, parking lot, etc, I put it in low range. I can go slower and I have better control of the speed I WANT to go.

I only use one clutch push to go from low 5th to high 4th. Once you practice it, you can make the shift pretty darn fast.

There is one other advantage to this, you can down shift from high 4th to low 5th on low hill climbs. Couple good reasons behind this.
First, low 5th gear is a few mph faster then high 3rd (check the max speed per gear on the dash to confirm this).
Second, if you have to downshift further, you have better speed control and gearing for better torque. Which means less rpm drop between gears in low range once you have slowed down that far.

I do that all the time in the 818. With the big tires, it really helps (still doesn't make up for the big gap between 3 and 4th though....)

rneely

Wreckerman893, is there a drivers manual that describes the proper way to use the Hi/Low transfer through the gears?

lonegunman

He is split shifting, using the transfer case to create 2 extra gears.He just showing off really. There is no need to split shift unless you have a really heavy load.

How heavy is real heavy? I have hauled some heavy stuff and huge trailers behind deuces in open country and have driven a fully loaded deuce fuel truck uphill on a gravel road and never had to do that. That fuel truck was a heavy pig on a good day.

Hammer

You would be surprised at how much faster and EASIER you will get a load moving if you use the low range.
Doesn't mean you have to, by any means. Just makes the job of the truck a bit easier.

royaltiger1945

I noticed that he speedometer seems to be broken or disconnected as it never moved in the video, but his shifting sequence is making me wonder. I thought that 4th gear in a Multi-Fuel was up where it would normally be in third, so my question is: is he shifting from 4th low to 4th high and never shifting into 5th high or is he shifting from 4th low into fifth high? I just don't remember him looking like he is shifting from 4th to 5th. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

royaltiger1945

I totally got confused on that, everything I have been driving in the past year has either a standard 5 speed, standard 5 speed with 2 speed rearend or a Roadranger in it.

militarysteel

not only do i NOT split shift my m35, but i start off in 2nd High most of the time.
gets you up to speed, faster with less shifting. as long as you let the clutch out correctly, your not going to cause any excess wear on ether the clutch or drive line.

however if i was carrying a load, i would not start out in 2nd -H i would start off in 1-H, only use low range when i am off road, or when i am trying to park the beast in a tight parking space.

KsM715

not only do i NOT split shift my m35, but i start off in 2nd High most of the time.
gets you up to speed, faster with less shifting. as long as you let the clutch out correctly, your not going to cause any excess wear on ether the clutch or drive line.

however if i was carrying a load, i would not start out in 2nd -H i would start off in 1-H, only use low range when i am off road, or when i am trying to park the beast in a tight parking space.

Care to read this and keep on bragging?
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/46555-second-gear.html
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/42608-deuce-trans-junk.html
or this one: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/42608-deuce-trans-junk.html

hammerdown

Tryed out this gearshift on my truck today
and man what a huge difference it makes.
There is no strain on the clutch it pulls away much
happier.
There is no rushing these trucks anyway ..
I shall be using this move from no on. You can feel the
truck loves to drive like this.
You can get upto speed with ease instead of revving
the granny out of it in every gear.
Sweet I'm well impressed.. Well done mr video man!!!!!!