• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

erixun

I took my 5-ton to Boyce Equip in Ogden to have my rear wheel seals changed/ bearings repacked/ brakes cleaned- checked etc.

DSCF3390.jpg

I know a fool and his money are soon separated...and I really didnt have the money, but I was tired of leaking fluid everytime I parked, and throwing it all over my truck. I know I could have done this myself- especially with the help I was offered from a member on here...(And THANKS for the offer, I do appreciate it!- You know who you are.) Not too mention that I felt like I would be taking advantage of someone that owes me nothing, and that just didn't sit right with me. But I was also worried that if there was additional damage inside my diff's that Boyce would be able to get me fixed. As this is my only truck- and I have some uses coming up shortly, I did not want to risk additional down time. (You know, "uses", like keeping a promise to my son in taking him to school on his first day in it :D) He went with me, and we cruised the area on bicycles during the service, and I went to a local gun shop and ended up blowing even more money on a new hunting rifle for him. (another sickness of mine) But all ended well... brake pads were brand new, put in new wheel seals, bearings look good[thumbzup], and they steamed cleaned my rims, tires and cleaned my brake pads etc.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haha.....I beat you to the punch. I tore both of them off about two weeks ago showing a friend what a 6x6 Military truck can do (of course when I was backing down the hill I climbed). I heard a "Snap", "Pop"....but no "crackle" (saving that one for the 5# hammer I'm going to use straitening the brackets out with).

I'll cut about 6" off from the top (where I tore them off the bracket holes), punch new holes with a set of HF hole punches.....and a little Rapco 383....good to go.

commandojeff

Added some troop seats and a rope, along with some other things. The troop seats took some modification to get the front rack in, and there were a couple chunks of wood we couldn't get out of the sides. But all in all, today was a good day.

Attachments

indy4x4fab

Banned
Hauled a m146 trailer out of indy's G.L. lot friday night for anther member after his original hauler backed out. Boy what a wild ride that was pulling up his drive way once we got to his house. Kinda felt like offroading at haspin.

Attachments

Welder Sam

I ordered an overflow tank. Wow. What a mess. Got the steering wheel replaced. Had to literally grind it off. Got torch bottles on board, new winter boots in, cb is mounted on a RAM Mount. Borrowed Myothers Cummins decal idea. They look nice. Thanks. Got some bose ith headsets on the vic1. Still tying up loose ends. Hope to finish wiring everything(cb, dome lights on door switches, siren) tomorrow and hang a couple bumper steps. From there, im going to put my 250 bobcat on the rear right corner and im DONE other than maintenance work. Would love to share pics but will have to wait till the site evolves into a mobile friendly place

JarheadMtn

I finally got my 813 running right so I can start using it. I have thousands of dead trees that I am clearing off my property. The lumber mills say my place is too remote and the roads too rough, so I am hauling all the wood off myself. Tires of tearing up pickups, so hopefully I can get it done. I bought paint to fix the camo paint job, but it will have to wait until I get some of the wood hauled down before the snow comes. Its 8000' and getting into the low 30's up there already. Its so dry with all the beetle kill trees and the drought this year. I wish I had the 11.00 20's instead of the super singles when I am loading this thing by hand!

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I worked on the M936A1 this weekend:

Removed old rusty hoist cable. I have a replacement wire rope, but I need to clean up the drum a bit and free up the rusted setscrew before I install it. I may also replace the clevis end; waiting on a quote from the manufacturer.

Drained about 80 gallons of hydraulic fluid, cleaned the hydraulic fluid filter, and pumped the fluid back in through a spin-on filter. Added another 5 gallons of fluid to top it up.

Fixed a leaking axle flange seal.

I was hoping to get more done, but even doing that much in the hot sun whipped me pretty good.

The work lamps on the crane came in handy while I was cleaning up tools in the dark this evening, but they don't put much light along the sides of the truck, and particularly at the spots behind the cab where I climb onto the bed. A couple more work lights might be nice to add, possibly at the rear of the cab if I ever find a hard top for this truck.

erixun

Took my youngest son to his first day of school yesterday, then took him to lunch, and then picked him up after school. It was his first day of jr high and he was excited to show off the 5 ton.

Got new insurance from Gulfway and dropped State Farm- more coverage at half the cost...

cx65083

Hey Jarheadmt.... come to WI and I'll trade ya. I have an almost new set of 11x20's on mine. It has a spare on the rim and another in the back yard plus 3 brand new spares to trade!

Danl

Danl M915A1

I change wheel seals, wired up tarp. rehung muffler again. I checked the front wheel bearing on my 915, I thought the front bearing were in oil, but my front bearing are packed in grease anyboby know something about this ?

Makincold

Changed the oil for the first time last night, HOLY COW that is a LOT of oil!
I didn’t think it would ever stop draining out of the filter housing
I also found a leak on the brake line inside the frame rail on the driver’s side. Looks like it might be at the connection between the steel line and rubber line, but I have to clean it all up so I can tell where its coming from, a project for another day...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks