• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1000 miles in a 923 -Flying in...advice?

acme66

TRIP IS DONE. HERE IS THE VIDEO LINK.

I will bringing my new baby home in a few weeks and given that I am flying out I was hoping to run the bare essentials past all of you to see what I might have forgotten. Most of the recovery lists I have seen deal with what to haul with you to get a GL lot fresh truck. I don't have that luxury on the airline and it isn't a surplus truck. I have a CDL and drive school buses if that helps cut through the usual new guy driving a MV flames.

TM's on my laptop because that seems better than hauling 1000+ pages with me.
Small multi-meter to chase the gremlins
Combo straight and philips driver
Channelocks
12v outlet (to recharge stuff) and 10" of cord with clips on the end to tap a battery
Documents, bill of sale and insurance
ipod with earbuds and earmuffs to go over the top of them (so I can hear it easy)
Rags
Camera
List of SS members along the route and their numbers

...and that is about where I start to draw a blank. What is likely to sideline a well maintained and inspected 5ton on a long journey that is hard to find on short notice along the road?

The truck is a restored private ride and the owner vouches for it's reliability to make the trip. I have no reason to doubt him. I figured on hitting the first truck stop I see and grabbing the DOT essentials like reflectors and extinguisher. Hit a NAPA for tire change stuff if it isn't in the truck and few gallons of spare fluids. What else would be an essential?

EDIT:
INFO LEFT OUT- The truck is in Denver Colorado and I will be driving it to Missoula Montana probably along I-25 to I-90. I can however head up through Utah and Idaho if a SS member needed something hauled North. Even if I have to store it at my place in Plains MT for a time it might get your item closer.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM sent.

Can you post your proposed route?

Last edited:

acme66

Most likely I-25 to I-90 at Billings but I might go the long way through Ogden and up Idaho if a member needs something delivered. I posted the offer and will wait to see if anyone is in need. Mileage looks to be comprable (at least to someone used to driving 100 miles for groceries) and lord knows speed limts will not be a factor...

Ken

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you stop at the NAPA, get spare fluids in case you need them on the road in the middle of nowhere.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check with the owner and see if he has all the stuff to change a tire. Jack, lug wrench 1 1/2 and bud socket if not on super singles, chain fall, lifting chain etc as you will definitely want to be prepared for those or be ready to purchase at NAPA ( Real expensive) or Harbor freight. You don't want to blow a tire and have to call a tire service when you find out you don't have all the gizmos.

Not sure which motor you are buying but a canister fuel filter at NAPA as they are not common if the nhc250. 8.3l is a more common spin on filter.

I and at least 2 other ss members have reported throwing water pump belts on their recoveries with the nhc250. It is not an easy roadside fix and a major job to do. It is very easy for the water pump to leak when adjusting the belt due to the design. The only adjustment is rotating the water pump as it is an eccentric based pump. This of course breaks the seal and the pump is sealed with a copper crush gasket and "grease". Think 37 qts laying at your feet. I have been advising to get a powerlink twist belt (amazon) as a temp emergency fix. It will at least get you down the road and is used at industry to keep critical conveyors and equipment in plants running till replacement. All other belts are easy to change. Water pump belt is not and will leave you doa.

You can contact NAPA in advance, prepay for what you need in case they do not stock and have it waiting for you.

Welcome to the 5 tonners! :)

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What will it cost you to fly out and drive home 1,000 miles (including food, fuel, and possibly a hotel)? I just paid $2,500 to have a truck shipped 1,000 miles on an RGN. An M923 will fit on a step deck and they are generally cheaper. Make sure you are saving money. Good luck.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I might just be missing this but was a pickup location given? Hard to see who is along the route if you don't know where "there" is.

acme66

Thanks guys. I will try to answer all the questions on my incomplete post in one go:

The trip is from Denver Colorado to Missoula Montana. I have a Power Twist coming just in case. The ticket was $400 leaving $2100 to pay for fuel to drive 1000 miles. I figure fuel will run about $500 and I hope to sleep in/under the truck. Should be about a 22 hour drive so roadside Zzzz will be required. I can't haul a chainfall on the plane...well I don't think I can. I will pre-check and list all the wreckers, SS members and Mobile tire shops along the way as that sounds like a great thing to have handy.

-Ken

If there are items that you should have, but cant take on the plane, I would UPS them to the seller and have them there when you need them. Most anything that you will need for the trip is going to be the same stuff that you need in the truck anyways. Search other recovery threads for items like glad hand adapters then make yourself a care package. A little expense and pre-planning can save you a bundle when you are on the road. Don't forget duct tape, it fixes everything and the roll makes a great cup holder for your trip.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several pairs of Crecent wrenches. 12's, 10, & 8". A short pry bar. A heavy tow strap & clevis. When you get to the NAPA, get & add a dose of snake oil (diesel treatment like Power Service) to the fuel. Xtra fuel filters. Proof of insurance!

Good Luck

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys. I will try to answer all the questions on my incomplete post in one go:

The trip is from Denver Colorado to Missoula Montana. I have a Power Twist coming just in case. The ticket was $400 leaving $2100 to pay for fuel to drive 1000 miles. I figure fuel will run about $500 and I hope to sleep in/under the truck. Should be about a 22 hour drive so roadside Zzzz will be required. I can't haul a chainfall on the plane...well I don't think I can. I will pre-check and list all the wreckers, SS members and Mobile tire shops along the way as that sounds like a great thing to have handy.

-Ken
How much is your time worth? What about food? Insurance? Tags? A lot more than just the cost of the flight and fuel goes into the calculation. You are going to save money. There is no doubt about that, but I don't think you are factoring everything when figuring out what you are saving.

Bolkbich

You might be able to ship it cheaper...BUT...It's a once in a lifetime experience, enjoy yourself. Thats what this is all about. I ordered a new kenworth 6 years ago, went to the factory ,watched it get built and drove it home from the factory...that memory will always be there.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure... This whole thing is about a TRIP. Lots of us have trips that we remember, and we even remember the ones where we had to camp beside the road and wait for parts. These trips are for the Natural Born Travler. These trips are ones that have a little flavor! Go for it!

Bolkbich

I meant thats what this hobby is about...driving your mv's. Lots of people dont have trips to remember, me and you are some of the lucky ones. I've broken down in a brand new truck ...anything can happen, its a machine. He's buying it from a reliable seller (not govliq) who says he thinks the truck will make the trip and hopefully it does. I own 4 M939's they are good driving trucks and wouldnt be afraid to drive them 1000 miles. I wouldnt advise him to go do something dangerous but I really dont consider driving a M923 on major highways dangerous....you only live once..life is short....Go for it

jeeplvr247

I figure fuel will run about $500
My calculations have you running about $560 for fuel using $4.19/gallon which was the price at all the stations today and using 7.5MPG. Considering that Colorado tends to be a little hilly and the owner probably does not have the tank full (at $4.19/Gallon, I would not blame him if he siphoned off most of it) I would leave $750 for fuel. That being said, I don't think you should have it shipped. I had a blast on the 500 mile recovery of my 813. Good luck!