• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1009 u-joint problems

wkbrdngsnw

I have been having problems with u-joint wear in the front location of the rear shaft and with the best joints they sell at the local parts store I can get maybe 2500 miles out of it. The rollers show almost no wear but the end of the cap is worn to the point that it has about a 1/16" of play on the transfer case yoke only. The part number is a 534g and is the one that the computer says for a civ blazer so I assume its the right one. There also is a growling noise from that area when turning that might be related.

wkbrdngsnw

It completely stock and that is the part that baffles me. A stock truck shouldn't have drive line angle problems but it does.
Been there many times, Tail housing bushing where front yoke goes in. Check yoke for grooves where it goes in transmission. My shaft had to be completely rebuilt every year or 2 years. Also we had to drop transfer case to correct drive shaft angle, Stock ride height had severe angle and was eating u joints and yokes like candy. Now nice and smooth with no wobble.
The yoke isn't scored and seems not to have any play so i don't think that is the problem. I could lower the transfer case but that's where I always get hung up on already. Its probably the only option though.

Would worn spring bushings cause a binding when the axle shifts, wearing it out?

wkbrdngsnw

Its kind of hard to see but the caps look like they sit in the same place and grind that one spot instead of evenly. The slip yoke has no abnormal bearing wear. The drive shaft is at a fairly good angle off the center line and vertical so maybe lowering it may make it more of an angle in one plane.

Attachments

wkbrdngsnw

What would it look like if it was spinning in the yokes? It was pressed out but was looser then the drive shaft side.

Does lowering the T-case affect the motor mounts?

Westech

CPL
sounds like it is out of balance. happened to a friends jeep.. could not keep a u joint in it for a month. took it to the shop and it needed to be rebalanced. They said even changing a u joint can make it out of balance.

wkbrdngsnw

I made some 3/8" spacers to drop the T-case so hopefully that works. If not, I'll go to the drive line shop and see what they have to say. Thanks for the support.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks