• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1031 to shelter carrier dually conversion

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am considering converting my 1031 from a contact maint. truck to a dually shelter carrier. I have been trying to find a dually wheel kit with the front axle adapters and steel wheels to make it into a 1028 dually, but have not had much luck on the internet. If anyone has a source for the original military 1028 dually wheels and adapters I would greatly appreciate a link or tip to acquire said parts.

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adapters? The kit is an entire Dana DRW rear axle, front hubs, fender extensions, etc etc.

Edit: See post 23. The DRW CUCV does use adapters.

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have all the pieces, minus the dually wheels and front axle dually adapters.

Last edited:
Dont know if you have considered this but the rotors from a m1008, m1031, m1028 are different from a dually m1028a3 truck.

The rotors from a m1028a3 have smaller stud holes than the m1008 etc front rotors. I have the book if you want the stud hole dimentions.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
dont know if you have considered this but the rotors from a m1008, m1031, m1028 are different from a dually m1028a3 truck.

The rotors from a m1028a3 have smaller stud holes than the m1008 etc front rotors. I have the book if you want the stud hole dimentions.
huh?

panzerwillie

You can find the front adapters , i bought my pair back few months from e b a y , just got rib of then to a fellow with a single DANA 60 front axle and i am using instead the same style but 10 hole adapters for the front and 10 hole rear so i can put 19.5 on the 1008,,,

The stud holes in non dually trucks M1008, M1028 M1031 (all eight of them with the 8 x 6.5 bolt pattern ) have a different ID (inside diameter) than the rotors of trucks with dually rear axles M1028A3.

What about this do you not understand?

The stud hole size would matter when attaching the factory wheel spacers.

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
The stud holes in non dually trucks M1008, M1028 M1031 (all eight of them with the 8 x 6.5 bolt pattern ) have a different ID (inside diameter) than the rotors of trucks with dually rear axles M1028A3.

What about this do you not understand?

The stud hole size would matter when attaching the factory wheel spacers.
Ok, the front axle is a DANA 60 on any 5/4 ton CUCV, 8 on 6.5 I have no idea what you are talking about.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe I can get it put to words. The GM dana 60 front uses a hub with a rotor attached. The hubs are the major difference between single and dual wheel application. Single wheel rotors are secured to the hub via the studs and the rotors for dual wheels hubs are bolted to the inside of the hub. As such, even though the rotors are nearly identical, the bolt on rotors have a larger hole for the bolts. Moot point if you buy assemblys but if you want to move a rotor from a single rear style front hub to a dual, the holes will be too small.

Skinny

Poke around on the rockcrawling sites, you may find someone with a DRW Dana 60 looking to convert over. Win win for both parties.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Picked up a set of D60 DRW hubs off epay, the DRW rotors are 48 dollars each from Oreilly's, so, all I need now are 8 steel 16x7 wheels. . . .

Thanks everyone, I learned something new!

I thought adapters were installed on the front and just bolted to the hub like a wheel would and then the dually wheel bolted to the adapter. . .

Skinny

What are your plans for the conversion? Are you going to install a dually bed or fab something up?

I've contemplated taking the M1031 stuff and building it into a trailer that the PTO shaft can run to and turn the truck into a more usable DD/wheeler/hauler. Of course the cost of doing all of that may just make me build another CUCV...it's a vicious cycle...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wheels are a wrecking yard item, same as civi. Check the lug holes carefully when buying.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just got back from El Paso, scored 6 very nice Accuride wheels for 300.00, my "kit" is complete, now comes the hard part, actually putting it together. . . . so much fun gathering all the items though!

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok, here are some pics of the wheels I just got, and, a shot of the front axle on my 1028A3, which confirms what I was talking about regarding a bolt on adapter for dually wheels. Also pics of the 1031 and the bed.

DSC00149.jpgDSC00150.jpgDSC00151.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your picture does not show an "adapter", it shows the hub you just bought.

Those do not look like the right wheels, those are hub piloted.

Edit: Picture does show adapter.

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Your picture does not show an "adapter", it shows the hub you just bought.

Those do not look like the right wheels, those are hub piloted.
Actually, no, it does not, reexamine the pics, the hub I bought off epay is offset, where as the adapters on my A3 are lined up between the nut to the hub and the nut to the stud.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks