• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1031 to shelter carrier dually conversion

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A quick glance at the parts TM list the rotor/hub assy as part number 104192. This is the part listed for UOC 254 and 256. Those that know the UOCs will know this is the M1028A2 and M1028A3. I know the aftermarket at the time sold spacers to make single wheel trucks into duallys and I've also seen trucks that didn't have the dually front wheels when released from service. Hndrsonj had one. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the spacers you have Ed, were an add on. The dually kits that the military used were certainly provided by GM.

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
A quick glance at the parts TM list the rotor/hub assy as part number 104192. This is the part listed for UOC 245 and 256. Those that know the UOCs will know this is the M1028A2 and M1028A3. I know the aftermarket at the time sold spacers to make single wheel trucks into duallys and I've also seen trucks that didn't have the dually front wheels when released from service. Hndrsonj had one. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the spacers you have Ed, were an add on. The dually kits that the military used were certainly provided by GM.
I think you're correct Kenny, The A3 I have is a half arsed Airforce install at best. . . the bed fenders, original bedside were not cut out the data plate is homemade, and they did not install the rear sway bar. . .

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?25229-M1028-to-M1028A3-Gov-Conversion

Last edited:

TGP (IL)

Looks like you have everything.
FYI,
The wheels look correct, the front adapters are not GM but look good.
Wonder who made them?
Although my 1028A2 has the rear sway bar installed by the military,
Civilian K30, never had the rear sway bar as an option.
2 wheel drive only.
I'm suspecting you do have the correct 70HD rear for the back?
You know there is a difference between chassis cab, and pickup rears?

Looks good,You'll find the time!
Tom

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Looks like you have everything.
FYI,
The wheels look correct, the front adapters are not GM but look good.
Wonder who made them?
Although my 1028A2 has the rear sway bar installed by the military,
Civilian K30, never had the rear sway bar as an option.
2 wheel drive only.
I'm suspecting you do have the correct 70HD rear for the back?
You know there is a difference between chassis cab, and pickup rears?

Looks good,You'll find the time!
Tom
Yes I have the 70HD rear from a flat bed service truck in a junkyard, what is the difference?, overall width of the housing?

And, your truck is beautiful!

TGP (IL)

Thanks.
The width is for sure different between a cab and chassis and one with a pickup bed.
Pickup being wider.
You will need to check the one you have beings from a c&c it's probably to narrow.
I never understood why GM would do that the way they did.
The wider rear under a flatbed or box truck on a cab&chassis would have looked and handled much better than
The narrow rear, imo.
The Dana 70 you want will measure approx. 59" at the brake backing plate flange were it rivets to the housing.
Tom

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just measured both of the axles I have, the installed in my A3, and the one in the shop, they both measure about 57" from inside backing plate to inside backing plate

TGP (IL)

I can try and get a better measurement.
It is real close to 59" +-1/4
I'm measuring between the welded flange on the housing were the backing plate rivets to.
TGP

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I can try and get a better measurement.
It is real close to 59" +-1/4
I'm measuring between the welded flange on the housing were the backing plate rivets to.
TGP

I think I'm good, just about 59" with the tape going around the back diff cover/carrier housing.

Thanks!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were many bodies that required the narrower width rear axle. FWIW anyone could order the ambulance cab and chassis package and get that full width 70. You can always tell a CC axle by how close the spring perch is to the backing plate. They are quite close. Also in my post above I listed UOC 245 and 256. Should have been 254 and 256.

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok, I need hubs for this dana 70 HD, tried epay, bing search, but could not find a listing with hubs for dual rear wheel D 70, anyone have a part number or source?

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best source is usually CL or U-Pick yards. No guarantee but it is likely that they will be the same, 73-87 dually pickups and 88-91 dually crew cab pickups. The part numbers are in the -34P, just remember the UOC codes I posted above. Shopping for just a hub really narrows the field but if you look for trucks being parted or a good deal on a complete housing, you may be dollars ahead.

2002ford

I always have something. Lol. I used to live in your area. I miss the rust free trucks. I was stationed at McGregor base camp. Was a jeep guy then. Still have my cj. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks