• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

-10to -15 degree start up with 1009

rsh4364

Thanks for all the excellent advice guys.Today I sold a spare 8.5 rear for a G-body for 600$.That will get me rolling in the right direction.$ is tight right now,but Im not broke.This truck will not get the best of me!

rsh4364

Rick I would help you out if you were closer. Keep doing what you are doing and keep in mind that what you are doing is very dangerous and you will be fine. Don't encourage others to do the same. And advise them that you are a trained professional and they should not try this at home. That covers you under the law. Keep on getting it done. Or get out the Malibu and drive that in the winter. NOT.
Thanks Rick, I wish I lived closer also,its rough with no garage.Malibu lowered to much for winter.Would be kinda fun to throw snow tires on a 425hp Malibu tho.I remember a few years ago being able to get it out of storage in winter and driving it.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Thanks Rick, I wish I lived closer also,its rough with no garage.Malibu lowered to much for winter.Would be kinda fun to throw snow tires on a 425hp Malibu tho.I remember a few years ago being able to get it out of storage in winter and driving it.
Rick I was just talking to an old fellow this morning about an old 7.3 Ford he has. I sold him the F250 about 9 years ago. I ran into him at the store he said it starts hard in this weather. He uses it every once in a while and when it gets this cold he drains the radiator in a catch basin and just puts new warm antifreeze in it right as he needs the truck. He said he puts it in the basement near the wood stove and it stays about 150 degrees and he just closes the petcock pours it in and the truck starts easily. seems like a lot of work but i have heard of that before. i know people that drain the oil and exchange it for warm oil. Seems like a lot of work but it makes sense.A man gotta do what he gotta do sometimes. Same as the magic spray.

acesneights1

If you used ether on it your glow plugs are toast.
It is best to plug these in but if the truck is in good order with strong batteries it should start even that cold. But I would look into lighter oil. I have seen the oil pump driveshafts break in this weather with 15w40 on an unheated engine. A hairdryer in the intake works better than ether. You will end up with cracked rings or a broken crank or broken starter bolts using ether. GM spent alot of money putting stickers on telling people not to use it...

rsh4364

I do have issues with batts. and a weakened IP,but Im working on those problems.I run rotella T6 oil which I really like for winter.Curious how using ether destroys GPs though?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does not.

cucvrus

Thanks DH,he was probably assuming I still had auto GPs,which would be a problem with using ether for stuborn starts.
Even with the OEM lock stock glow plug system. You will not ruin the glow plugs with magic spray. It is much easier if you have a helper. Easier all the way around. Just a little mist will do ya. i started mine today without any starting aids. Went for a ride to Cabelas.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ether does not hurt the glowplugs.

Assel

guess Ether wont ruin glowplugs, its destroying your enginge when too much of it gets in 1 cylinder and due to a glowing GP it misfires ..just like when you have a glowing grime nest in your gas engine...and it fires the gas/air mixture too early (like when piston is goin upwards) and thats too much force on the engine...some parts may fail & it will be destroyed.

Mostly GPs get ruined when glowed too long or when it wont start up good and you dont wait a bit before crankin/glowing again. And of course when they take to much voltage / amperes for some time...

the "magic spray" is just something that fires up really really easy.... and thats the Problem with Diesel engines: In a Gas engine the Ingnition is timed by the spark plugs, and even with another "fuel" for example ether ..its timed right.

in a Diesel engine the "ingnition" is timed by the pressure the fuel/air mixture gets when the piston goes up: and with Ether its another, so if your unlucky it could fire up even when then piston has not reached its "upper deadpoint" ..and here we have the "misfire" problem again. much force on every component of the engine..not good

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please explain how ether can make a GP swell.

I'd like to understand why.

Last edited:

Assel

ether wont make a gp swell. overheating them does (or simply having 1 worn out, causing the stock CUCV system to burn out the others 1 by 1 ^^) ..but: if you have starting problems and dont think much just use ether..well then you could assume that ether kills gps ...when you finally replace them and see that they are dead.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know.

I was hoping A&8s would explain his comment with some facts.

Assel

:D thought so ^^ btw I want to order a "doghead" relay and 9 AC DELCO 60G GPs (1 more to be safe) and some 1/4" fem blade terminals to make the new GPs fit. Do I need another GP Controller or can I just put them into the stock system?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stock controller works fine with the acdelco 60G gps.

The DH relay is for the starting system, it's simply a better relay than the oem.

acesneights1

ether wont make a gp swell. overheating them does (or simply having 1 worn out, causing the stock CUCV system to burn out the others 1 by 1 ^^) ..but: if you have starting problems and dont think much just use ether..well then you could assume that ether kills gps ...when you finally replace them and see that they are dead.
It kills them electrically. I had brand new ones and had an issue with the IP so I shot some in one of mine and it wiped out 6 of them. I have read others having the same issue. I can't tell you why but I know it does because I did it before I knew any better but hey..go ahead...spray away...:whistle:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And you are 100% sure those 6 GPs were good just before you used ether to start a truck that had a fuel issue?

Was your GP controller functioning properly when this occurred?