• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

-10to -15 degree start up with 1009

acesneights1

Yes they were new and working fine. The truck had bad throttle shaft seals and lost prime. I'm not the only one who has experienced this. A few posts over at DP on it. Bottom line, Don't use ether on these engines. It's a really bad idea. The truck was a civvy not MV. 83 K20 6.2. The GPs were 60g's.
You gotta realize., I have had these engine since the 80's and I did alot of dumb things over the years that I learned the hard way from. Like I said before, you can also lock the motor up and blow the starter right off the block, I did that too..:(

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree that using ether on 6.2 or 6.5 is a bad idea(because they are indirect injection).

I disagree that ether will damage a GP.

It may blow the intake off, or something worse but it will not make a GP swell.

cucvrus

When I spray the magic spray it is very cold outside. I get in the truck use the wait light and try a couple times. I have smoke coming from the tail pipes. It works best if I have someone give it a small spray while I am turning it over. I mean small spray. It starts instantly and I keep it running just like outlined on the visor. I have done it for years and never had a glow plugs go bad or starters come off the block. I will be the first to say this don't do it if you are not feeling safe with using the spray. I feel comfortable with using it. I have seen guys spray it like spray paint and blow the intakes apart on trucks. I have heard them run wide open for a few seconds. That is not my intention or would I spray more then needed to get an immediate fire in the engine. If you do not want to use it in your engine do not use it. I am going to continue to use it as last resort because I have plow trucks and vehicles that I must keep running. The block heater is not an option on a few of them. I am not intending to start fights or argue about this issue. It is a choice and risk that the owner of the vehicle must make. No one else can make it for you. I am OK with you not using it. But let the guys that are comfortable be entitled to the freedom of choice. That is what it is all about.

MarcusOReallyus

There was some kind of problem or you wouldn't be using ether. I suspect that the GPs were killed by whatever was causing the starting problem that inspired the use of ether.

Or.... perhaps there was a small detonation which cracked them internally? I can't think of any other way ether would cause a problem for them....

Were they open or shorted? Any obvious damage? How do you know they were dead? How do you know they were good before the ether shot?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's get back on topic for the OP.

I think it's safe to draw our own conclusions of the ether/gp topic.

cucvrus

Update. It was -5 this AM. I needed to use the Mule. Nice job on the snow blower try out. I went down with the shovel and hit the huge pile on the hood. It cracked into 4 huge pieces and I pushed the iceberg off the hood and windshield. Could not get fire in the hole of either of them old cold M1009's.001.jpgHad to resort to the forbidden start up method. How cold is it when you can start yours with no block heater and no other assistance? I mean really the army had these with out block heaters and they ran them all the time. I seen them. My batteries are all good and the glow plugs work fine. I just want to know how cold must it be until they would start by just turning the key? I remember starting them at 5 degrees some days and have them start hard at 10 degrees the very next day. It seems like a luck thing to me after all these years. i had an 82 Isuzu diesel 4x4 pick up that would start no matter how cold it was. Unassisted. That was the loudest knocking cold diesel engine I ever heard next to the 6.2 when it is cold. Interesting stuff. This weather is taking it's toll on vehicles and wallets. Good luck stay warm only do what you have to outside and keep it safe.