• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

11.0-20 NDTs on a deuce, good idea?

grounded

Banned
I think most diffrence your going to see is on the road vs offroad. I dont have to much experience with them offroad but do run them on the road alot.

Big CASE

the 110x20s for the on road side of them is you will have more tire on the ground , the 1100 are 10.5" wide and the 900 are like 8.5 or 9 "
for the off road side , you will like them because of the With and height off the tire . I have the 1100x20 on my deuce now and they work grate ,

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run 11x20 NDT's on 2 of my deuces. The biggest difference is top speed with a lower rpm. I can run about 60 mph at 2350 rpm. Difference on the speedo is about 7 mph. Spacing between tires on the back is fine. They look good too.

I have a fresh set of 11x20 XL's to put on the M109A3.

Below: M275A2 & M35A2

Attachments

Last edited:

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a C turbo in the 275 and can pull my 15,000 lb M128A2C at 55 mph, up hill in 4th gear, and no problem on the flats in 5th. I've removed the FDC, which increased throttle travel.

With my C turbo and the trailer behind I have no problem running 2350 rpm down the highway. With the trailer and at 2350 rpm I'm running about 18 lbs of boost and 1000 degrees EGT. Going uphill and working it, I've peaked at a very brief 25 lbs of boost with this engine. Egt was rising past 1250 at this point as well. I backed off pretty quick, and down shifted to 4th, which cooled things down a bit. But I proved to myself that it could be done without the engine coming apart and/or a head gasket giving me grief.

This was on a 900 mile round trip. Boost gauge & pyrometer are essential.

C turbos spin up quicker and are better for high end horse power.
D turbos provide much better torque. These of course are my personal observations, your results may vary.:roll:

My trucks with D turbos have great seat of the pants torque, the C turbos though have great HP potential. (plus they sound so cool)

Photo below shows me going 60 mph in the 275. Speedo read about 54 at 60 because of the 11x20's. Egt's at 875 degrees and about 4 lbs of boost. This was cruising with no load on the way to CA on I-10.

BTW, there's a blimp in the second picture following I-10 back to CA.

Attachments

Last edited:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
another advantage of 1100 is a healthy increase in the load rating of the tires which in my opinion is a very good thing especially on the front axle.

1stDeuce

I'm about to single out my deuce with 11.00 NTD's because I can't find ANY radials for a decent price... for all I use it (Not much...) they'll probably be fine. I am hoping to get a little better perf and bump the top speed up a bit for highway ease. I don't carry anything, and I have the single style wheels already, so it seems like a good thing to do.

I think this will be followed closely by installation of a pyrometer and boost guage, and turning up the fuel, as my deuce has always been a pooch. Even just holding 50mph requires almost 100% throtttle, which seems weak.
C

emr

Belive it or not the 900's would be better in mud and snow,and could air down to 15#s , that is super awesome, although the 1100's are just fine in the deuls , i would not go that low in air, they may rub, zI would think , its one thing i just did not need to do to know the outcome, the 1100's are better in sand , but i have run 1100's ndcc's and loved em, they look awesome, and very few of us will spend enough time in a situation when the little difference made would effect anything...Randy

So, then my question is, do the 11x20s offer enough of an advantage to bother with, or rather than spending the money on them would it better to step up to a larger tire......and if so, what combo?

Unfortunately, I don't have deep pockets on this.

Would the radial 11x20s offer a significant advantage over the 9x20s NDTs?

I appreciate any and all input!!

thanks guys!

vinny-socom1

I ran 11.00x20's on my bobbed duce and it was a night and day difference in performance, I would say go with the 11.00x20's there really is no down side I can see and they fill the wheel well better I think.

Vinny

Attachments

emr

1100's are all they say, it will steer easier, look cooler to most, and yes would handle heavy loads better, but the 900's will handle any load the deuce can carry also just fine, the radials are apples to oranges big time, I have run 900's for 40thou miles on my first deuce, then went with 1100's ust in the front for awjile, then back, really not much difference , but i can say a little easier steering, i have run 1100 ndtcc's on my other deuce for about 15thou miles and now the radial michelins 1100's for the last 5 thou and counting, for all that can be said, in all weather they are all very good, over inflation is the biggest problem people experience with the 900's, they should be for my driving that is 40 to 45 #s in the back, and 50 to 55 in the front, never even hinted of being out of control in any weather, but i also do not drive my truck like i need it to be the fastest guy on the block either. the tire size in my eyes goes alot more down the road of what if any period one wants to paint ther truck, my deuce with the 1100 michelins is late desert tan, so that would be correct in theater , today, My OD deuce 24087 had 900's because that is what it used then, some say there is this great night and day difference, i really know there is, but it takes certain weather and driving conditions to bring it out. I am a NDCC fan big time, I ran em on my 925 for a few years and will again, they are just plain real military tires to me, and they work just fine...good luck, oh the 1100's seem to be at good prices now, i think they will dry up in about 3 to 5 years, at least the 100 dollars a for a ne w tire ones will for sure, so get em now .

Scooter_Mann

I have located a full set of used 11.00 x 20 military lugs to replace my 9.00 x 20's. I know I will need to swap out the speedo gear, but what else will I need? Will the flaps from the 9.00 x 20's work fine? And, what about tubes? Will I have to replace all 10 tubes :?:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks