• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

11:00x20 duals on Deuce with snow chains

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
there is a SS member selling 1100x20 chains in the classifieds for $ 50 a PAIR plus s/h, a lot better then almost $500 for 1/2 a pair of triple chains

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Single chains on each axle

there is a SS member selling 1100x20 chains in the classifieds for $ 50 a PAIR plus s/h, a lot better then almost $500 for 1/2 a pair of triple chains
Thanks Ron! I spotted that member's ad and left him a comment.

It would seem I could cover all six axles for less than $250 shipped...and I'd have a tough time finding a deal that good anywhere else.

Thanks SS!

Jay

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The reason another poster said the chain will hit on the inside duel on 1100s, is because of the way the duels move out of line when making turns, the military truck has a lot more side to side movement that a OTR civi truck, I can't run inner duel chains on my 819s 1200s for the same reason.

Chaining up just the outer tire ought to be good enough, with the front and all four outers chained, you would be a real go, with the front and one set of rears chained, you would still be a go, just not a real go, eather way , you will be able to run over a stuck CUCV

Last edited:

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Done deal!

Thanks again to those who were later posting than some others.

I've made the deal on the 11:00's, so that part of this mission is a done deal. (Thanks Cameron) :-D

I have also made a deal on enough single chains to cover the two front tires, and the outer tire on all the four rear axles.

The chains came from an SS member, and are military chains made for 11:00's.

Now all I need is some snow! ;)

Thanks to all.

Jay

emr

fyi I have brandy new 1100 ndtccs for 250 ea. in northern NJ can do better on the set . also a set of 1100 michelins for 3000 also brandy new ... fyi because this post is about 1100s on a deuce and that is why i had these, but sold both deuces, so they are not in the classifieds and am just throwing this out... :)

Flyingvan911

A lot of guys like the 11.00x20 Goodyear or Michelin radial tires. They have a long life on pavement where as NDT's wear out quickly being bias ply tires.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think about airing down when driving in sand and snow, 10 psi or even less. The large foot print reduces the pressure per square inch to that of a man walking. Bias ply tires are more forgiving aired down and let you drive on side slopes if need be.

rmgill

I would submit that I have driven all around the Metro Atlanta area in our last two big ice/snow storms with chains on and found no issues. My configuration was chained up medium weight tire chains on the front axle and the rear axle, though I am not running duals, I'm running rear singles. 1100x20 G177s. I didn't find any problems with chaining up just the front and rear axles. Plenty of grip, directional control and no obvious wear. Since I was running on ice/snow, the diameter imbalance between the rear axle and the middle axle didn't seem to matter much.

The tire chains came from TireChains.Com

nk202.jpg

pitpawten

Not enough inside clearance on 11.00x20 duals (deuce) to run tri-rail (dually chains)

I just wanted to chime in here, the real issue with dually chains (tri-rail chains) on a deuce running 11.00x20 (in dual) is the distance between the inside sidewall of the inside tire and the suspension.

I had a member here measure his and it is only 1" distance between the two when at rest, no doubt less during flex.

There is a HIGH likelyhood that under flex the inside chain WILL rub and potentially catch on the suspension.

The distance between the front and rear set of duals does not seem to be an issue as there is 5.75" to work with and you should not see flex reduce that by much (if you do, check your dogbones : )

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are threads that mention rear tracks and a truck with an original set of tracks was up for sale about a year or so ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks