• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12v headlamps in a deuce

ICAT

Has anyone figered out a way to use 12v headlamps in a deuce without rewiring the truck. I was thinking about resistors or a reostat the get it down to 12v. I can't find a headlamp under $50.00 bucks.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why??
Wire them is series and you can run 12v lamps.
Why??
Saturn has headlamps for $26.50, e-pay has them for less.
Why??
H4's are available in 24v also.....

Last edited:

Jinx

Why??
Wire them is series and you can run 12v lamps.
Why??
Saturn has headlamos for $26.50, e-pay has them for less.
Why??
H4's are available in 24v also.....
I REALLY wouldn't recommend wiring headlights in series. One bulb burns out during the night and suddenly you have no headlights at all!

rlwm211

If you must....Install an Invertor inline with the power feed to the dimmer switch and then switch the bulbs to 12 volts. The light switch will not know the difference and the only other change you need make is the harness connector to the bulbs themselves.

RL

ICAT

my hope was to keep the price as low as possible. With the venders and fleebay the price is still around 50 bucks. I just thought someone might have already came up with a workable solution to use a 12 volt light. I am taking in all suggestions.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, you could run 2 bulbs per side in series and get them working. You could also step up to LEDS, spend your kids college fund and never buy headlights again or just spend a few extra bucks here and there over the course of the MVs lifetime.

hoop

7" Round...28.99 free shipping.
H4 light....5.00 each 5.00 shipping.
Pig Tail....6.00? each.
Less than 60.00 for 2.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A simple Google search for 24 volt headlight, will get you results. The very first listing has them for $30.

A little effort goes a long ways....

ICAT

yes it is $30.00 but when you add in shipping i might as well to the parts store and pay the $50.00. I'm just looking at all possibilites. I'm a school teacher so I have to watch every penny.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes it is $30.00 but when you add in shipping i might as well to the parts store and pay the $50.00. I'm just looking at all possibilites. I'm a school teacher so I have to watch every penny.

Why mess with a good system? Bite the bullet and buy the military headlamps. This way you won't have to spend extra cash and time converting to 12 volts, or worse yet, troubleshooting when a problem arises.
Headlight, 24 Volt, Sealed Beam w/ Rubber Shell Connectors, 8741491 / 4863-1 / GE 4860

Also, do the lamps from the parts store have the military pigtails?

Good luck.

ICAT

some have the pig tails and some just have the 3 prongs. i can reuse the three ends off of the old light. yes if i have to i'll buy the mil light just weighting options which seem to be very few

Clay James

I REALLY wouldn't recommend wiring headlights in series. One bulb burns out during the night and suddenly you have no headlights at all!
My M109A3 did that to me a few times when I would switch between high and low beams, pretty scary. Luckily when I hit the switch again they came back on. I suspect its the dimmer switch.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you order from, and how much do they cost?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks