• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

15.5's wow what a difference W/10" rim build

sermis

Tire contact in Central Texas (Waco). M & M tire 254/829-2024. When I talked to him he said he has all kinds and sizes.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
How did you make sure the alignment was correct when you welded the rim section and rim together? Have you tried these tires on the rear to see about spacing yet? Any pics of that? Really great work there.

sermis

I am welding to a stock rim that was not altered so the rim it’s self is true. With the homemade jig / lathe the 3” piece cut close to true. If you have ever watched a stock rim turning they are not exact. Tacking the 3” piece in 4 places kept it close while welding. I took 4 rims to a truck shop and they ran them on the balancer for me. There was almost no wobble in the outside of the rims. Weight balance was another issue. They range from 10 to 18 ounces out of balance. On the 3” section I added I did not weld in the old valve stem hole which caused balance issues. I marked them and will use a digital scale to cut some pieces of metal and weld to the rims to balance out. The inside of the rims showed from true to needing only 6 ounces of weight. After the wheels are balanced I will mount the tires and have them balanced. Now I will need to dismount the front 2 and balance the rims, bummer. I was hoping to be up and running this weekend but looks like another week now.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Cool I would have though that even with your setup the oxy/ace cut would be rougher. I have to say I love this thread. It really gives another idea on how to mount the big rubber at a reduced cost.

sermis

Right now I have $38.00 per tire for tube ($18.00) and flap ($20.00 used) + oxy /ace gas. The guy at the tire shop was so amazed he did not charge to spin the wheels.

rizzo

sermis said:
For those who have flipped the dish on riveted wheels, did you replace the rivets or weld the dish?
clyde did one tonight. he welded the edge and plug welded the holes. He drilled out the holes and tightened bolts in to keep it in place as he welded. He said they will be done tonight. I'm not sure if will have them mounted or not.
We havn't measured what kind of offset we need, but this looks close.
I am taking the truck to my bog on Wednesday night for a trial run

sermis

Balance the rims if you plan on running it on the street. My rear four did well on the road. The front wheels bounced and need to be balanced. I did not balance the front rims before I mounted the tires. My rear four rims ranged from 10 to 18 ounces out of balance on the outer edge and 4 to 6 ounces on the inner. I got a digital scale and weighed some steel plate and allowed for the weight of the welding rod and then welded the weights to the rims. I have not balanced the wheels with the tires mounted but the rear 4 seamed ok.
I took some PIC’s of the truck with all six wheels and tires mounted. There is not much room between the rears, about 2” or a little less. I will post the PIC’s when my computer at home decides it wants to work.

I have one riveted rim I started working on yesterday. I have it widened and now need to flip the dish. I was not sure on how to reattach the dish into the rim. If I can find another riveted rim I will use them on the front.

I think my truck hates me for not spending more time with it. It has not been driven since I started the wheel project. Front passenger wheel cylinder is leaking and when I got to the store about 2 miles away the radiator overflowed.

sermis

Tracking is real close to in line. I will try to get a stright edge and check. I dont have any clean dirt ti drive it right now.

Rear spacing is about 1 3/8". Really close but if I don't pick up a rock it shpould be ok. I have not checked the bushings but have not noticed any movement in the rears. With what little I have driven it thare has been no problems.

Need the fronts balanced and then the tests will start.

Anybody have a locker for cheep.

jwaller

I think you would be better off to put your overson on the front tandum instead of the rear. the front likes to torque up on acceleration and thus wheel hop. the rear axle is forced down and gets better traction.

rizzo

I took my deuce up to the mud pit today to test it out with the new tires and rims. drove on the road at about 2100 and speedo said 47MPH. tires only had 35 pounds in them and you could feel it. I think they would ride beter on the road with more air. but it wasn't bad.

off road performance was through the roof. I ran in 1rst and 2nd in low range. never got stuck. went in every hole and all of the nasty slop in the east pit. even cross rutted the big holes. I was super impressed and so were the guys I was with. Very happy. Vic had his deuce there with stock tires and he would not even attempt to go where I did. Happy happy happy

BEWARE: with the big tires the wheel is harder to turn when stopped and going off road in ruts the tires will rip the steering wheel out of your hands at any time. with out ruts it is not too bad. drive with thumbs out.

sermis

Rizzo, are you running the 15.5's or 16.00.
I drove my truck with 40 psi and it was kind of bouncy on the road. Trying not to drive it much until I get the fronts balanced.