• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

160 AMP 24 Volt - HMMWV - Alternator Upgrade Kit

visualg

Guys,

Has anyone out there switched out the massive alternator for this Alternator Upgrade? My OEM version is starting to squeal, so new bearing/rebuild maybe necessary. Someone on FB suggested this upgrade instead.. Pros and cons to this?

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 1.40.33 PM.png

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What alternator do you have now?
This says it is for an upgrade for the 60A, but it has a serpentine belt, if you have a 60A it has V belts, if you have an A2 truck with the 200A you will lose the 12V balancing act the 200A does so you can power the transmission on 12V
Ether way it will not work well.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a 60A and you hear a squeal it is most likely belts.
If you have V belts the conversion will require multiple matched belts specific for this kit, one V belt will not drive a 160A alternator

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like a crazy stupid price for a delco or clone unit even with whatever that bracket is that it requires.

You can do much better for 5 bills in my opinion for the stock 60amp unit but we need the whole picture as noted belt(s) and brackets different plus 24v/12v.

Who is the vendor?

which model hmmwv do you have?

what alternator do you have? 60amp, 100amp, 200amp or 400amp?

visualg

What alternator do you have now?
This says it is for an upgrade for the 60A, but it has a serpentine belt, if you have a 60A it has V belts, if you have an A2 truck with the 200A you will lose the 12V balancing act the 200A does so you can power the transmission on 12V
Ether way it will not work well.
Shit, wasn't even thinking... I have the 200amp sep belt.. So it wouldn't work.. I guess will have to deal with that bearing after all.

The vendor is:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And they want to sell you a grounding kit, keep the 200A it is a good alternator, sometimes bearings fail, all part of maintenance.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any good rebuild kits out there with decent bearing, not import crap?
I do not know of any "kits" maybe others do, I just source the bearing as I go, I always use German, US or Japanese manufacture, in that order.
You may want to make sure nothing is getting into the fan at the rear of the alt. and that all the mounting bolts are tight