• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1800 miles, no license plates, half a pack of smokes...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lighten up, all of you. Give each other a little respect and consider what each side is saying here. You dont have to agree, but you do need to be more polite. :wink:

stampy

I too am frustrated with the system that will not allow you to get a title thus you can't get a tag and forces you to either ship the vehicle(exceedingly expensive) or tow the vehicle with a larger vehicle(slowly) I did my 109 recovery in Lejune and drove it back aftermany days of getting the runaround at the Local and State level DMV. Yes it was insured and yes I was nervous about it but I saw no other reasonable way. Paying 2000$ shipping for a 1500$ deuce that runs and drives is nuts. So I too drove mine home with my wife in the Jeep behind me. My question is why can't they issue a temporary plate for vehicles...seems like an easy fix.:-D

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought a deuce 498 mile away in PA and my state and insurance says i have 30 days to get insurance and tags for THAT vehicle or it will be illegal. I like Ohio more and more.
All you have to do to get a temporary tag in Ohio is ask GL Title Dept. for a notarized Bill of Sale. Tell them you are driving the vehicle home and you need the bill of sale to get your temp tag. You will need to provide GL the proper ID number for the vehicle. After they send it to you, take it to the local license plate bureau and it will be all they need to sell you a temp tag.

BobM

Back to the original thread....
That is a sweet looking truck. I am jealous. I'm looking for something again. Wish I could be lucky and find one like yours. The duallies just look like something everyone needs!:-D

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back to the original thread....
That is a sweet looking truck. I am jealous. I'm looking for something again. Wish I could be lucky and find one like yours. The duallies just look like something everyone needs!:-D
BobM,
Thx. It IS a nice truck. My wife even likes it. She disliked the deuce, so I sold it (not the ONLY reason mind you).

And I was not trying to cause any one any problems. As was said, I just couldn't afford $4000 (lowest bid I got) to have it transported. Most shippers balked BECAUSE of the dually portion of the truck. Many made it so expensive I thanked them for their time and moved on.

But in the end, I just drove it home.

If someone thinks I 'infringed' on their rights to own or purchase an MV, I guess we will just have to disagree.

I'm NOT rich. I paid an arm AND a leg for this truck. And adding another $4000 to it's cost WAS JUST NOT AN OPTION.

And had I been pulled over, I would have accepted the ticket with zero complaints. I would have even apologized to whomever pulled me over. But unlike the story told about the CUCV that was driving around AT HOME, I was strictly in transit.

THAT'S ALL. IN TRANSIT. From point 'A' to point 'B'. And I'm STILL waiting for my SF97. Hopefully it comes before my temp tags (THAT I PAID A PRETTY PENNY FOR) expire. Because if they expire it will add another $100 to the cost of this truck.

The funny part is, the state of Colorado ISSUES temp transit permits. The people I talked to at TWO different DMV's were unaware of this fact. I was also. Until I got back. Then a buddy of mine who works for a car dealer told me WHERE to look online (last week). Sure enough, the transit tag is listed. The only problem is that the DMV workers don't know about it. When I inquired about it while applying for my temp tags after I got the truck in state, I was told it did not exist (again). I just dropped the matter, because pissing off a state worker will always come back to bite you.

My truck was in the July 4th parade. It's first. I am looking forward to many more parades and a lot of good times with this truck. Now if GL will just shake loose my SF97, I can get it registered and plated...

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can't believe the DMV people didn't know about the 1-trip permits, but you have to consider the source. VA has one-trip passes available online. WV trip permits were available from the State Police. I would have trusted a call to the CO State Police over the dingbats at the DMV.

Wallew, you haven't been back on SS very long and you are already embroiled in controversy. How does that make you feel?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I can't believe the DMV people didn't know about the 1-trip permits, but you have to consider the source.
Ga. won't issue trip permit/temp. tags. I went to 2 DMV's and they both told me the only thing even remotely similar to a trip tag were the temporary plates that were only available to people with a car dealer's license.

They told me to drive it home because of Ga's 30 day policy for registering but they had a blank look when I asked them for their cell #'s in the event I got pulled over 300 miles from home.

:rolleyes:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't believe the DMV people didn't know about the 1-trip permits, but you have to consider the source. VA has one-trip passes available online. WV trip permits were available from the State Police. I would have trusted a call to the CO State Police over the dingbats at the DMV.

Wallew, you haven't been back on SS very long and you are already embroiled in controversy. How does that make you feel?
SS,
Actually, I talked to two State Trooper offices. They could offer no help, as they said they understood WHY I was having problems, but ONLY the DMV issues the permits.

Like me, they didn't want to tangle with the DMV personnel either. So I just gave up and took the trip.

And jeez, I feel warm and fuzzy all over. For those who want to spout off, it's kewl. But until you walk (drive) a few thousand miles in my shoes (seat) you don't actually have a clue what I went through.

Not only explaining to (OK, begging) my wife to let me buy this particular truck, but then making decisions while a buddy of mine attempted to deliver it to me for expenses. Then having to have the tranny rebuilt. Then flying out to get it and I DON'T FLY. I always get SICK when I fly. But I took my wife's DVD portable player and it was enough of a distraction and the flight was so smooth, I didn't even get sick.

But in the end, I got a really nice truck that I will be keeping for quite some time. It's fairly rare, as the best numbers I've been able to find out about the M1028a3 appears to be about 300 made and another 100 or so kits were made. Now if this info is incorrect, I WOULD LOVE for someone to provide me solid VERIFIABLE info. I have done a lot of research and have had very little luck.

Clinto,
Most states have the same '30 day grace period', which is why I didn't feel too nervous about taking the plunge and drove home with out the trip permit. And like I said, I TRIED to get one.

I saw it as the Colorado DMV missing the chance to make a few more $$$'s off of me. And I would have paid it gladly. But no joy in mudville for sure on this account.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In texas you can get a 30day temp tag for $25. All they care about is insurance and you have a good VIN#. It sounds like the state of colorado is the real problem. I'm just amased he pushed a 6.2 with 4.56 gears to 60MPH that far with out it slinging it's self apart!

Crash_AF

In Colorado a temp tag is only $20, but you have to have insurance and a verified VIN inspection performed by a Colorado licensed dealer or certified peace officer for all out of state vehicles.

Later,
Joe

no smokes though but

15 miles trip home in a neverbeforedrivenmaybewithoutbrakesanddefinitelywithoutliceenceplatesandmuffler M62 felt darn good too.The tyres got rounder and rounder ,the brakes showed up and i felt like i emptied the gas station that night(at least my bank account).
Such a joy to wake up a couple of near the road camping sites ,and of course the neighbor.:-D

Wrench Wench

You think wallew was irresponsible, I think I got him beat.

My current car is a 2003 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. It's a retired Morgan Co., Indiana cruiser. I bought it at a state surplus auction in Plainfield, just west of Indy. I live in Terre Haute. I picked it up on a day I needed to go into Indy anyway, so I picked it up, no insurance, no tags and drove it out to the interstate, gassed it up first, of course, since they only keep enough gas in them to be able to move them around the lot as needed, and then hopped on I-70 and drove into the heart of the city to conduct my bidniz.

So far so good, but on my way out of Indy, a statie gets right behind me, and I'm talking right behind me, at interstate speeds, for the length of 70 that is also I-65. Then, he passes me just as 70 vears off to the west.

He could NOT have NOT seen that there was no tag on my cruiser. Then, just outside of Indy, past Plainfield, another highway patrol car came up just to my left and passed me at an easy, breezy 5 MPH difference. He couldn't have missed it either.

My conclusion, at least for CVPIs, is that cops don't really care if they have no plates. I doubt I'd have any grief if I took a M809 series from Drexel along US-40 to home.

There was a time, when I was still a new car owner, I got the bill in the mail for my license plate renewal. I thought I paid it, but I musta just lost it, and never thought about it again. I assumed if something was wrong, I'd have gotten a second notice. Next year, with the next renewal, I was charged double. So, in essence, I drove for a year on expired plates and never once got hassled about it. I just don't have a bureaucratic mindset. I don't live my life by a bureaucrat's leave.

In the end, I'm far more conservative than any bureaucracy. If I don't think a vehicle is safe to drive, it just might be safe by some government standard, but that still won't allow me to hop in and drive it.

Oh, and Indiana law specificly forbids using any kind of "license applied for" or "in transit" signs in lieu of official or temporary tags under IC 9-18-2-27(a)(3). What I'll try to do in the future, if I get a Drexel 5 Ton is avail myself of IC 9-18-7-4 and get a 4-day delivery tag, assuming between IN-BMV and GL waiting for an EUC to get a SF-97... EIEIO, I can't get a full and proper registration to have plate in hand when I pick it up at Drexel.

One interesting quirk of Indiana law makes something rather interesting possible. You know those old garages with walls covered with old license plates from eras past? You can now actually reach up, pluck one off the wall and use it legally according to IC 9-18-2-27(c):
(c) After December 31, 2007, if a vehicle is registered as an antique motor vehicle under IC 9-18-12, an authentic Indiana license plate from the antique vehicle's model year may be displayed on the vehicle under IC 9-18-12-2.5.
IC 9-18-12-2.5:
Use of authentic antique license plates
Sec. 2.5. (a) After December 31, 2007, a person who registers an antique motor vehicle under this chapter may:
(1) furnish; and
(2) display on the antique motor vehicle;
an Indiana license plate from the model year of the antique motor vehicle.
(b) A license plate furnished and displayed under this section must be an authentic license plate from the model year of the antique motor vehicle.
(c) Before a license plate is mounted on an antique motor vehicle under this section, the license plate must be inspected by the bureau to determine whether the license plate:
(1) complies with this section;
(2) is in suitable condition to be displayed; and
(3) bears a unique plate number at the time of the registration of the antique motor vehicle.
The bureau may prohibit the display of an authentic license plate under this section if the authentic license plate is not in conformance with this subsection.
(d) If an Indiana license plate from the model year of the antique motor vehicle is displayed on a motor vehicle registered as an antique motor vehicle under this chapter, the current certificate of registration of the antique motor vehicle shall be:
(1) kept at all times in the vehicle; and
(2) made available for inspection upon the demand of a law enforcement officer.
Notwithstanding IC 9-18-2-21, this subsection is not satisfied by keeping a reproduction of the certificate of registration in the vehicle or making a reproduction of the certificate of registration available for inspection.
(e) The fee to register and display an authentic license plate from the model year of an antique motor vehicle is as provided in IC 9-29-5-32.5.
So, if you're in Indiana, buy a 1978 Deuce, and ol' granddad's garage has an Indiana plate in good shape from 1978, you can put it on your deuce provided it's a registration (plate) number not currently in use, and considering Indiana completely changed its registration numbering scheme just a couple of years ago, that's a pretty safe bet.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WW,
I am envious. The Ford Crown Vic Interceptor is my NEXT aquisiton. Gotta wait a while cause the wife is all over me about this last purchase. She does LIKE the truck. Just said 'No more out of state vehicles' to which I agreed.

Fortunately, there's a lot that sells CVI's exclusively thats local here. So I'm gonna start hanging around there one of these days, hoping one follows me home.

BTW is that a GLOCK your avatar is showing off?

minimalist

WW,
I am envious. The Ford Crown Vic Interceptor is my NEXT aquisiton. Gotta wait a while cause the wife is all over me about this last purchase. She does LIKE the truck. Just said 'No more out of state vehicles' to which I agreed.

Fortunately, there's a lot that sells CVI's exclusively thats local here. So I'm gonna start hanging around there one of these days, hoping one follows me home.

BTW is that a GLOCK your avatar is showing off?
Looks like a sig to me.

saddamsnightmare

October 13th, 2011

Wallew:

Good thing you survived the trip, bad thing was Co and the other states are not as logical as Texas and West Virginia, probably bad thing you chose to brag about it on here. I would say that if you can afford to buy it, you should be able to ship it. Unfortunately all the good intentions about insurance and such are gonna get someone's n-ts cracked when one of these trucks with NO registration is gonna get into an accident. The rest of us are gonna take the heat, and personnaly, while I have few objections to tweaking the law, I would suggest that all of us need to think about how many hungry lawyers and legislators there are out there before we botch a good thing up.
Wisconsin doesn't like FMV's, you all have to ask yourself what would happen with a high visibility accident with an unregistered FMV would do with our reputation in many states with their DMV's? All it takes is one good accident to do us in as vehicle purchasers and users, does anyone remember what happened to the M151's and what also happened to most HMMWV's???? I would not take much to get uncle to recall the M35's and CUCV's if they have the usual EUC and end use Demill codes.....
Prudence is a much underrated and more underused virtue my friends....2centsfat lady sings

akt12

I would have had it shipped. Shipping costs money. There is no doubt it adds to the cost of a truck, but it is a cost that you have to incur just like tax and the price of the vehicle...that is, unless you have tags and insurance. I honestly wish GL would BAN the driving out of vehicles. That won't be a popular sentiment, but it would save the rest of us from being impacted when someone gets busted for impersonating military personnel. I am fairly sure that is a federal offense! You'd get to visit with Madoff and his new buddies.
-----------------------
Perhaps his state has a similar statute:
Components of militiaA. The militia is divided into the national guard, the state guard when organized, and the unorganized militia.
B. The national guard consists of commissioned officers, warrant officers, enlisted personnel, organizations, staffs, corps and departments of the federally recognized and regularly commissioned, warranted and enlisted militia of the state, organized and maintained pursuant to law, and all members thereof honorably retired by age or disability.
C. The numerical strength, composition, distribution, organization, arms, uniforms, equipment, training and discipline of the federally recognized national guard shall be prescribed by the governor in conformity with the allocation of units to the state by the department of the army and the department of the air force of the United States.
D. The inactive national guard consists of commissioned, warranted and enlisted personnel relieved from assignment to the national guard by the adjutant general, or at their own request, under regulations prescribed by the department of national defense of the United States, and not reassigned to another component of the armed forces of the United States.
E. The unorganized militia consists of members of the militia not members of the national guard or state guard when organized.

------

Triple C

Glad you made it home okay. Sounds like a lot of different state law issues here to me. I know when I bought my 925 and tried to buy a temp tag the dmv wouldn't sell me one because I wasn't a commercial entity. If I went that route I had to comply with commerical dot regs. I called the dmv, the dot and the dot scale and they all told me I had 30 days to transit the vehicle legally (with a conformed bill of sale and insurance). Even though I didn't have tags, I was legal. Some of the other states appear to be that way as well so I would assume the police choose not to pull mvs in transit over because of the confusing states laws rather than thinking us old fat guys are impersonating military folk. By the way, I also called Ks. and they said the laws of my home state (regarding lisc) applied because that is all I could comply with. My guess is the issue won't be a tag when a mv is involved in a bad wreck, partiuclarly if it is a 5 ton truck driven by a mv lover that doesn't know anything abvout driving big trucks. Anyway, nice truck, hope you enjoy it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks