• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1942 cckw project thread

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just take everything apart and start rebuild it, looks like a nice project. A transmission for $ 275 even not perfect does not sound bad, but then, I am used to crazy European prizes.

Vintagefarmer

Anyone in need of an arctic cake hard top and doors? I'm heading to a place tomorrow to look at a transmission and some other associated parts 20 minutes from home. Also took the chance to pull the plugs and dump some marvel down the cylinders, see if I can even give the old 270 a fighting chance. There was some antifreeze on the cylinder on no.4... either way the head is gonna need to come off anyway.

Last edited:

Vintagefarmer

So, as an update for you fellas. I found, and subsequently purchased a 302 out of an M211. However, after reading the write up for them Im concerned about a couple things. Is the flywheel for the 270 going to fit on the 302 or will I have to source a new flywheel? Second, is something about the water pump. Will the 270 pump fit or no?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 302 has 6 bolts holding the flywheel to the crank, the 270 has 4. The 302 flywheel for the hydramatic won’t work with a clutch. 302 manual transmission flywheels are impossible to find. The 270 water pump will bolt in place of the 302. The 302 does not have a front motor mount on the timing chain plate as is needed for the CCKW. You will have to swap over the 270 plate which is a ton of work.

Vintagefarmer

The 302 has 6 bolts holding the flywheel to the crank, the 270 has 4. The 302 flywheel for the hydramatic won’t work with a clutch. 302 manual transmission flywheels are impossible to find. The 270 water pump will bolt in place of the 302. The 302 does not have a front motor mount on the timing chain plate as is needed for the CCKW. You will have to swap over the 270 plate which is a ton of work.
Alright, the stuff about the motor mount I had read about but it wasnt really clear on the flywheel. I can get a flywheel made rather easily (I can make it myself) but need to figure out what differences there are between the 302 civvy flywheel and the 270 besides the bolt circle.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright, the stuff about the motor mount I had read about but it wasnt really clear on the flywheel. I can get a flywheel made rather easily (I can make it myself) but need to figure out what differences there are between the 302 civvy flywheel and the 270 besides the bolt circle.
Nothin’. I wondered if it was possible to use one hole and redrill 3 new ones.

Vintagefarmer

Nothin’. I wondered if it was possible to use one hole and redrill 3 new ones.
from the write-up I read he said it wasnt possible to redrill. If its true or not Im not real sure. If there isnt anything different from the 270 flywheel then i should have one a couple days after I get everything apart. Im a machinist with access to a CNC lathe that could turn it out in about 10 minutes. lol

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
from the write-up I read he said it wasnt possible to redrill. If its true or not Im not real sure. If there isnt anything different from the 270 flywheel then i should have one a couple days after I get everything apart. Im a machinist with access to a CNC lathe that could turn it out in about 10 minutes. lol
Maybe weld up the wrong holes. Not sure exactly what material the flywheel is made out of. But sure making a flywheel out of steel plate would work. The ring gear is shrunk on.

Vintagefarmer

I did some work on the truck today. While the engine swap wont be nearly as smooth as I would like, it still wont be bad. I pulled the intermediate shaft off the transmission and got the transfer case to spin "freely". I think the brake drum is dragging pretty good so I think Ill need to back that off a tad. I still havent bothered taking an inspection cover off the transmission yet, though i did pull the drain plug... to have absolutely nothing come out. I shined a flashlight inside and reinforced the fact that transmission is absolute garbage.

Also, I may have started something with myself I dont think I like... the fella I am buying the 302 from also has a complete (minus box) split axle CCKW. From the pictures I have it is in way better shape then my body is, though I am kinda leery of the timkin running gear. He has offered it to me at a reasonable price so I might just pick that up to... just have to find a place to put it for the time being. He said it ran a couple years ago but... as with this truck, we can see just how long a "couple years" really is.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did some work on the truck today. While the engine swap wont be nearly as smooth as I would like, it still wont be bad. I pulled the intermediate shaft off the transmission and got the transfer case to spin "freely". I think the brake drum is dragging pretty good so I think Ill need to back that off a tad. I still havent bothered taking an inspection cover off the transmission yet, though i did pull the drain plug... to have absolutely nothing come out. I shined a flashlight inside and reinforced the fact that transmission is absolute garbage.

Also, I may have started something with myself I dont think I like... the fella I am buying the 302 from also has a complete (minus box) split axle CCKW. From the pictures I have it is in way better shape then my body is, though I am kinda leery of the timkin running gear. He has offered it to me at a reasonable price so I might just pick that up to... just have to find a place to put it for the time being. He said it ran a couple years ago but... as with this truck, we can see just how long a "couple years" really is.
Splits are actually a better driveline than banjo. A group of us took these two split axle trucks on a D-day tour of Europe last year, some 4000 miles between the two, never missed a beat.IMG_5661.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks