• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1943 Le\Roi genset

Matt1970M35A

Just got my genset home. It took all day to move it just 30 miles.
It came from an old air port and was used as backup power for the runway lights.
Its hasent run in years. It still turns over with the hand crank. Oil looks good and has 10 gallons of fuel AVgas in the tank. I hope by having fuel in it all this time that the carb is still good.

Attachments

oilcan

Looks pretty sturdy.
Good luck with the carb. It's possible that it'll be ok, but I wouldn't count on it.

Whatcha gonna use it for?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I know we talked about this at Haspin, did you drag it home? I see the wood bolted to the bottom. How much was gone once it arrived?

Matt1970M35A

No I got it on a trailer but still had to drag it a ways only a mile or so.
Used the deuce to pull it. The skids did not wear that bad. The poor trailer was was riding low.
I thank it was over weighted.

Wolf.Dose

Nice piece!
However it looks like a big lot of work to get it running properly!
I would change the oil, the gas and try by hand weather the engine still cranks. Is the Magneto still ok? Sparkplugs work? Valves do not stick, valve springs not weak? Careborator, regulator??..
The Generator part, if the electric insolation is still good, normally is the smaler problem.
Good luck!
Wolf

Last edited:

Matt1970M35A

It will be a ground up resto. It has spark and all valves are free. Its going to get a complete going over before I try to start it. Hope to do some work this weekend.
More pics to come as well.

Matt1970M35A

Got engine sludge? I got 20 pounds of the stuff.
OilCan you told me so. The carb was a mess. Its seen some weather and was full of rust.
I thank the last time it was run must of been in late 1984. At lest that was the date on the battery.

Attachments

Matt1970M35A

Bad news. I was making a new valve cover gasket and was ready to but it on when I found that their is a push rod missing. Why was it removed? broke ring bad piston I dont know I think a compression check is in order. If it checks good Ill make a new push rod.

Matt1970M35A

Well I been out of work and had some time to work on this thing.
I got it to run. well sort of. Only needed to rebuild the carb twice.
installed new plugs and ran a compression check. seems to be ok.
Also found the radiator has lots of leeks. I got most of them fixed.
Hear some pics of the radiator. Ill post the first start video soon.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks